Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Win the lost at any cost.

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Win the lost at any cost. Bro Bob
I know the song was written by Leon Ellis.

Here's my question. Long long ago I was told the backstory to the song, an event that caused Bro Ellis to write the song.

I am wondering if anyone here has also heard the story, and especially if there is a written account of it someplace.

I will hold the version I have heard for the moment, until someone else weighs in.

BB
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/11/20 12:06 am

Post Link
It reminds me of a small conference I went to the last time I went to Indonesia. An ethnic Chinese man from the Philippines with some kind of doctorate in a theology/ministry related field, a Facebook friend of a friend who I was on a forum with had announced the conference online. He said it was okay to burn incense to Buddha to keep relationships with family open to win parents to Christ. I wonder if he did that for the sake of his father. I argued with the man about his support of idolatrous practices, strongly opposing it. I pointed out that Christians had been martyred for not doing such things, and that those who even taught that Paul and others taught 'let us do evil that good may come' were justly damned.

I've never heard the song. I suspect it isn't about this sort of thing.

I was surprised he did not face more opposition from the Indonesians, but they might not have been sure what was being said since some of them probably struggled a bit with the English.
Acts-perienced Poster
12/12/20 12:40 pm

Post Welcome back Bro Bob doyle
Good to seer you on the Board again. Enjoy your postings. Blessings/

Doyle
12/12/20 7:31 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Have not heard the story but would love to.

This is the best version I could find online...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buYHISRFjjc
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/12/20 10:31 pm

Post BACKGROUND STORY excellentposter
Leon Ellis was the Director of Youth and Education for Delmarva DC at the time he wrote the song.

He was crossing the Chesapeake Bay bridge to an appointment when the traffic was stopped because a man on the bridge was either threatening to jump into the bay or had jumped. When Leon got across the bridge he stopped his car and began to write the song, Win the lost at any cost.

I heard Leon tell this account.
Friendly Face
12/14/20 8:09 am

Post Bro Bob
edit: I did not see the post above before I typed out the following response. Although slightly different, I am thrilled that at least the location and general point of the story connects! Thank you.

Thank you for the kind remark Doyle. There's a lot I miss from days gone by, don't get me started.

Well, I contacted my parents about the story. Mom said to get in touch with James Byrd, so I did. He and his sister were traveling with Leon Ellis at the time the song was written, and he did recall the story I am about to tell, but did not recall it being connected to "Win the Lost At Any Cost." He said he would check with family and get back to me.

The story I remember from my youth was that Bro Ellis was traveling across the bridge at the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay at night and many cars were parked on the side of the bridge and people were looking down into the water. He also got out and asked what was happening. There were several naval vessels below with their search lights lighting up the surface of the water all around. Someone said that a sailor had fallen overboard and they were trying to find him.

I do know that when asked to lead a song on my first Wednesday night at Ooltewah CoG this was the song I lead and I began by telling that story I had heard years before.

I also know that the piano player that evening was smitten by the guy from Lee in the white bell bottoms and blue turtle neck. She accepted my invitation to the Maroon and White game at Lee that Friday night, and Pizza Hut following. We were married for almost 43 years.

BB
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/14/20 9:33 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic