Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

"Science" Question

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post "Science" Question Aaron Scott
Let’s say that I have a 40 ft. strand of rope.

In that rope, I place magnets that repel the magnet beneath, and are attracted to the one above.

If I placed that rope in a vertical tube of some sort (to keep the rope channeled upward), would—COULD—the magnets serve to cause the rope to “stand up”?

Why or why not?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/11/20 11:56 am

Post Dave Dorsey
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're proposing 40 feet of rope that contains within it a series of magnets with alternating polarity, is that correct? So your rope is intertwined as follows:

Code:
}|{
 +
 -
}|{
 -
 +
}|{
 +
 -
}|{
 -
 +
}|{

It is then placed within a tube with a diameter just slightly greater than the rope. Is that right?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/11/20 12:17 pm

Post Re: "Science" Question Link
Aaron Scott wrote:

In that rope, I place magnets that repel the magnet beneath, and are attracted to the one above.

If I placed that rope in a vertical tube of some sort (to keep the rope channeled upward), would—COULD—the magnets serve to cause the rope to “stand up”?

Why or why not?

Is the rope made of metal?
Acts-perienced Poster
12/11/20 1:02 pm

Post Cojak
My first thought was yes it would stand because the magnets could not fold to reach the attraction.
But then I thought the rope would stand anyway if the slip was strong enough.

PS: Are you planning to climb this to the a lass's room on the second floor in the middle of the night? If so Imma tell mama!

BUT since this is only theory it should work, but in reality the weight of the mags would collapse it all, wouldn't they? Confused Confused
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/11/20 3:37 pm

Post Dave and Link Aaron Scott
Link, no, I'm just speaking of a regular rope.

Dave, yes, the drawing you provided is pretty much what I intended. That is, if there is attraction UPWARD and repulsion(?) DOWNWARD, and there is a narrow tube that keep the rope "focused," what would happen?

I would SUPPOSE that if we threaded the tube with the rope while both were lying on the ground, then it might be that we could stand the tube upright and the rope would not fall out of the tube. But that's just me thinking....
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/11/20 3:40 pm

Post Link
How much wiggle room is in the tube?

Why does this matter?
Acts-perienced Poster
12/11/20 3:47 pm

Post Bro Bob
Quote:

OK

Quote:

Not possible. Magnets have north and south poles, determined by which way they point when balanced on a string. The "negative" end will always point North, and the "positive" will point south. A magnet that repels the one beneath will do so because either its south is facing the other one's south or its north the other's north. Anytime they are attracted they will join (opposites attract) and when joined they will behave as one magnet since the exposed side of one will be its north side, and the exposed side of the other will be its south side.

Quote:

This one I have never thought about. Remove the rope from the question for a moment, just use a plastic straw and magnets that are piston shaped. If you put one into a standing straw north side up, it will sink to the bottom due to gravity. If you put the next one in north side down, it will fall to the bottom due to gravity, until its repelling force equals the gravitational pull. This will leave a steady space between magnet 1 and 2.

No problem so far, right? But what happens when you put the next one in north side up again? It will do the same as the 2nd one did, fall until its repelling force equals the force of gravity on it, again, if they are the same magnetic strength the space between magnet 2 and 3 should be the same as the space was between magnet 1 and 2. But I think we just doubled the amount of gravitational force on the 2nd (middle) magnet. I am guessing the space between magnet 1 and magnet 2 just got smaller.

And lastly, if we keep repeating this I think eventually the weight of all the magnets above #2 will eventually force it to touch #1 even though they are still repelling each other.

BB
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
12/13/20 3:00 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Bro Bob, I believe you are 100% correct my good sir.

Aaron, you can levitate something with two magnets if the magnetic force is strong enough to overcome the force of gravity pulling down on the second object, and if you've balanced it sufficiently to keep it from falling into a state where additional forces pull on it.

Here's a MinutePhysics video about magnetic levitation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqKeiiezqzc

You can't really float magnets on magnets though, because then you're dealing with multiplied gravitational force. Here's a video where someone does float a very, very small magnet above two magnets that are already floating, but you can see how different in size they are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMtl8-WOPYo
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/13/20 3:41 pm

Post Cojak
All this is interesting. I once played with a SUPER magnet taken from a giant Search RAdar, they can definitely grab and repel. This was before digital watches but the self winders were there. A fellow airman lost a new watch playing with the magnet.
I realize this is off the OP, but I did enjoy the You tube magnet stuff.

But I am sure the straw and little round magnets would really stay vertical.

Not too sure about a rope... Confused
But it is always neat to learn something. Every day should be a school day. Smile
Thank y'all. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/13/20 8:35 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic