Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Looking for accurate data

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Looking for accurate data FLRon
I’m trying find out how many active churches there are in the COG. I’m also interested in knowing approximately how many members there are in the COG.

I’m getting conflicting results from my own research so I’m appealing to those in the know. If you can, please cite your data source.

Thank you!
10/12/20 10:44 pm

Post FLRon
Hmmm... must be a very closely guarded secret entrusted to only those in possession of the decoder!
10/13/20 11:42 am

Post As of the MAY 2020 State News there were 405 churches Aaron Scott
Hope that helps. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/13/20 1:04 pm

Post Re: As of the MAY 2020 State News there were 405 churches MrSippi
Aaron Scott wrote:
Hope that helps.

What state? I think he is asking how many total churches are in the Church of God.
Friendly Face
10/13/20 3:30 pm

Post Plus roughridercog
How many dead members are on the roles and how many have duplicate membership in multiple churches.

Did we learn this from the demoncrats?
10/14/20 7:27 am

Post Sorry--I was referencing only Florida Aaron Scott
I got caught up in the pen name--FLRon--and got off track. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/14/20 10:01 am

Post Re: Plus Cojak
roughridercog wrote:
How many dead members are on the roles and how many have duplicate membership in multiple churches.

I am pretty sure my wife and I are members of at least two churches.
LOL (Gotta love the auto correct function of my carrier, I misspelled churches and got 'curses'.)
OUCH
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/14/20 7:18 pm

Post Link
Are you thinking nationally or internationally? I haven't looked in years, but internationally, Indonesia used to have the largest membership of any nation. That could still be the case. GBI was estimated to have about 2 million members or aherents.

That also illustrates how a denomination can greatly increase its membership. Much of GBI seems kind of 'Charismatic' to me, and the fellowship of churches Pak Niko led in the Jakarta area had banners that said 'Karismatik' on them. GPDI, the Pentecostal Church In Indonesia is another denomination. I believe GBI split off a denomination (GBIS) that split off of GBDI but I'm not sure how many splits there were in between. GPDI affiliated with Foursquare several years back, so the size the Foursquare denomination must have grown quite a bit because there are a lot of GPDIs (maybe fewer than GBI, but still a lot.)

GPDI seems more conservative with men wearing long white-sleeved shirts to church and more emphasis on dress and not going to the movies in some of the congregations. GBI is more 'modern'-- not exactly 'liberal' but less into older Holiness codes. I think of Foursquare as a bit 'freer' or more 'modern' denomination in the US than the COG, but the COG is affiliated with the more Charismatic GBI and Foursquare with the more Pentecostal GPDI. Btw, a lot of Indonesian Charismatics will say Pentecostals like to cry a lot in church, probably thinking of GPDI. I've had this conversation in a Charismatic church that seems a lot like a Pentecostal church.

Is it important to know how big the denomination is? Remember what happened to David when he started counting membership. Smile I read the Little Flock movement was hesitant about counting members
Acts-perienced Poster
10/16/20 7:42 am

Post Re: Plus georgiapath
roughridercog wrote:

I was going to say like the 2020 election. ROFL ROFL ROFL
Acts-dicted
11/14/20 12:56 pm

Post FLRon
I'm asking about world wide total number of churches and the total number of members in the COG. If a ballpark figure is all I can get I'll take that, but surely this info is available somewhere?

I need this data for a New Members/ Discipleship class I'm developing. For those new to the COG I want to show them that they are a part of something much larger than a local church body.
11/15/20 11:58 am

Post FLRon... Aaron Scott
FLRon wrote:
I'm asking about world wide total number of churches and the total number of members in the COG. If a ballpark figure is all I can get I'll take that, but surely this info is available somewhere?

I need this data for a New Members/ Discipleship class I'm developing. For those new to the COG I want to show them that they are a part of something much larger than a local church body.

It's in a safe with the recipe for Coca-Cola and Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that, at least in the USA, our numbers are far different than what is on paper. Further, because we don't attach actual names to membership, it is entirely likely that many are members of more than one church, or not even attending a Church of God.

I imagine that it would be a bit disheartening for ALL denominations if the actual numbers came out.

But it would still seem to be the best course of action, since at least we'd know where we were.

Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/15/20 4:32 pm

Post Re: FLRon... Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
FLRon wrote:

It's in a safe with the recipe for Coca-Cola and Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that, at least in the USA, our numbers are far different than what is on paper. Further, because we don't attach actual names to membership, it is entirely likely that many are members of more than one church, or not even attending a Church of God.

I imagine that it would be a bit disheartening for ALL denominations if the actual numbers came out.

But it would still seem to be the best course of action, since at least we'd know where we were.

Thumb Up Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/15/20 8:09 pm

Post FLRon
Yes I get it it. Actual numbers are far less than reported numbers because hardly any churches have accurate membership records.

I don’t like using Wikipedia as a reliable data source but in this case I believe I will so as to put this thing to rest. Here is what they had to say about COG numbers:

“On the church's website, they claim that in 2020, they had 36,000 churches and 7 million members in 178 countries”.

I was not able to verify this on the COG website however.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_God_(Cleveland,_Tennessee)#Statistics

Thanks to all who chimed in.
11/16/20 8:45 am

Post Best Resource for Accurate Information mytwocents
Call Cleveland and ask to speak to Raymond Hodge.
He's a great guy, and if anyone knows, he does.
Acts-celerater
11/19/20 8:01 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic