Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

A sinner's prayer, sort of, at a COG

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post A sinner's prayer, sort of, at a COG Link
I visited a large COG and a guest speaker who is highly 'ranked' in the COG hierarchy spoke. At the end, he wanted people who wanted to surrender to Christ repeat a prayer. The 'call' was not extremely specific that it was about people who needed to be save, but kind of hinted at that. I didn't hear any references to the resurrection, and maybe a vague reference to what happened on the cross, if that, during the prayer.

To some extent, I kind of wonder if preachers are responding to the expectation to have a 'repeat the prayer' kind of thing at the end of a sermon to satisfy those who think that is a mark of orthodoxy or if it is habit.

Those who have read my posts probably know my view on this sort of thing. There are certain teachings and promises in scripture, for example, Romans 10:9-10 and I Corinthians 15:-1-3 that indicate if we believe the Gospel (including Christ's resurrection), we can be saved, and therefore in order for others to be able to partake of these promises through faith, they should hear the word preached. Paul asks how can they believe on Him of Whom they have not heard, and how can they hear without a preacher.

Evangelism gets boiled down to a kind of ritual of repeating a prayer-- a ritual we do not see in the Bible-- and so often the actual message is truncated or omitted. I believe it is appropriate to preach a kergyma of sorts if there can be some who are uninstructed in the audience and we are trying to lead them to faith or at least direct them to where they can hear the Gospel explained.

The preacher did not declare the audience saved by virtue of repeating words after him. I cannot say his prayer was necessarily bad, but if that is all someone knew, it might not save them but could potentially lead them down a path toward salvation. The idea that going through the ritual of repeating a prayer saves, IMO, is a harmful one, especially when divorce from believing the Gospel.
Acts-perienced Poster
10/16/20 8:55 am

Post Franklin Graham FG Minister
Then don't watch the commercials by Franklin Graham. It's a couple of sentences and you are saved. Not good at all. Acts-celerater
10/16/20 1:01 pm

Post MrSippi
Yes! I can’t believe Franklin continues the heresy that his father did in spending millions to share the gospel in a 60 second commercial. It would be so much better if would consult the Actscelerate theologians first! How dare he! Rolling Eyes Friendly Face
10/18/20 11:03 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic