Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Lee Choir Director arrested for rape

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Lee Choir Director arrested for rape J W Buckaroo
I was very distressed to learn that the director of Lee University's Campus Choir was arrested and charged with rape. I am puzzled because the alleged rape occurred in 2014 and yet the Director continued in his post at Lee until the middle of September of this year when he resigned citing personal reasons.

I am concerned for the victim. Was the victim a student? Was there an investigation at the time? Why is there an arrest six years later? Did Lee not find the accusation credible, thus leaving the director in his post? There are so many unanswered questions. The one thing I know is that it is a horrible situation.
Friendly Face
10/6/20 11:00 am

Post Dave Dorsey
deleted

Last edited by Dave Dorsey on 10/6/20 2:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/20 1:58 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
deleted

Last edited by Dave Dorsey on 10/6/20 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/20 2:01 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
deleted

Last edited by Dave Dorsey on 10/6/20 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/20 2:27 pm

Post Dave...thank you Aaron Scott
I had to go back and edit my own a couple of times--ha!--for being too heated.

I do understand why a woman might not go directly to the police. I do. Not only is there the shame of what happened, but often there is a "blame the victim" notion.

In any case, thank you for speaking to this further. I appreciate that, and I am going to delete all my above posts.

God bless you.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/6/20 2:39 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Aaron, I will do the same. Thank you for your grace and forgiveness. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/20 2:41 pm

Post Re: Dave...thank you MrSippi
Aaron Scott wrote:
I had to go back and edit my own a couple of times--ha!--for being too heated.

I do understand why a woman might not go directly to the police. I do. Not only is there the shame of what happened, but often there is a "blame the victim" notion.

In any case, thank you for speaking to this further. I appreciate that, and I am going to delete all my above posts.

God bless you.

Deleted
Friendly Face
10/6/20 3:19 pm

Post It seems ... Mat
It seems that at many colleges and universities around the country there is a since of separation from the local law enforcement (many have their own campus police). As was said before victims, especially students, are hesitant to report "crimes" to the civil authorities, because they trust the administration to do the right thing, or they are concerned about the repercussions among their classmates or to their academic future.

Back in the 1990s, one of our young ladies at my church was attending a Nazarene college in the area. She wanted to live on campus, perhaps for the full "college" experience. One night when she returned to her room a fellow student, who was from Germany, was there and he proceeded to sexully assault her. She reported the attack to her parents, who then went to the administration. The result was first of all, the assailant was expelled from the college and had to return to Germany. The young lady choose to move back in to her parents home. The next semester she enrolled in a local state college instead of the "private Christian" college.

Of course that's not all the story, as the young lady needed counseling because of emotional and Spiritual issues, and spent time with a therapist and with her pastor (me). As her pastor I felt the assault changed the course of her life and damaged her thinking about herself. It certainly had effect on her relationship with men, and the choices she made.

The issues I had with the situation was, the college let the guy off easy, and there was no guarantee he would not return to the states to attend another college (perhaps another Nazarene college). I don't feel the young lady or the family really got justice or closurer. The college was the big winner in the situation, as they kept it out of the papers and off the criminal statistics, and did not have to disclose any information about sexual assaults on campus to incoming students.

It broke my heart to see the lasting damage to the young lady and the family and I felt they should have sued the college. At the time I also felt like hunting the guy down, taking him out to the woods, and leaving his body for the worms (but I have not acted on my emotions, yet).

A full investigation of Lee's policy and actions, along with a public trail, will help all involved, whatever the verdict.

MAT
Acts Enthusiast
10/7/20 7:02 am

Post Cojak
All 'sexual offenses' are tough on HIS Church and cause. I know sin is sin but that takes foremost position with those who are anti-Christ and gives them fodder for their fire.
Sad, but God is STILL Good. Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/7/20 9:40 am

Post caseyleejones
Deleted Acts-perienced Poster
10/7/20 11:50 am

Post Re: It seems ... Link
Mat wrote:
It seems that at many colleges and universities around the country there is a since of separation from the local law enforcement (many have their own campus police). As was said before victims, especially students, are hesitant to report "crimes" to the civil authorities, because they trust the administration to do the right thing, or they are concerned about the repercussions among their classmates or to their academic future.

Back in the 1990s, one of our young ladies at my church was attending a Nazarene college in the area. She wanted to live on campus, perhaps for the full "college" experience. One night when she returned to her room a fellow student, who was from Germany, was there and he proceeded to sexully assault her. She reported the attack to her parents, who then went to the administration. The result was first of all, the assailant was expelled from the college and had to return to Germany. The young lady choose to move back in to her parents home. The next semester she enrolled in a local state college instead of the "private Christian" college.

Of course that's not all the story, as the young lady needed counseling because of emotional and Spiritual issues, and spent time with a therapist and with her pastor (me). As her pastor I felt the assault changed the course of her life and damaged her thinking about herself. It certainly had effect on her relationship with men, and the choices she made.

The issues I had with the situation was, the college let the guy off easy, and there was no guarantee he would not return to the states to attend another college (perhaps another Nazarene college). I don't feel the young lady or the family really got justice or closurer. The college was the big winner in the situation, as they kept it out of the papers and off the criminal statistics, and did not have to disclose any information about sexual assaults on campus to incoming students.

It broke my heart to see the lasting damage to the young lady and the family and I felt they should have sued the college. At the time I also felt like hunting the guy down, taking him out to the woods, and leaving his body for the worms (but I have not acted on my emotions, yet).

A full investigation of Lee's policy and actions, along with a public trail, will help all involved, whatever the verdict.

MAT

Did the college do wrong? She should have reported it to the police. Also, doesn't a university or college have to report such crimes nowadays?
Acts-perienced Poster
10/7/20 4:20 pm

Post Re: It seems ... Mat
Link wrote:
Mat wrote:

MAT

Did the college do wrong? She should have reported it to the police. Also, doesn't a university or college have to report such crimes nowadays?

The expulsion of the assailant by the college seems to speak to them handling the crime "in house." Yes, she (and her family) should have reported it to the police, and when the college administration learned of it, they should have reported it to the police as well. All involved had conflicting emotions and issues that resulted in how it was handled.

The role of law enforcement is to investigate the allegations of a crime and prepare evidence on which the state (grand jury?) can proceed with prosecution based on the evidence. If the assailant was guilty, then a rapist got a slap on the hand. If the student was misleading her parents and the college, a young man's life was disrupted. My take is, she was a victim of a sexual assault that has affect much of her life.

MAT
Acts Enthusiast
10/7/20 5:32 pm

Post KevinWallace
It is obvious none of you have facts. I would kindly encourage you to wait till the case is heard and the verdict is read before forming an opinion. [/img]
10/8/20 1:46 am

Post An observation ... Mat
KevinWallace wrote:
It is obvious none of you have facts. I would kindly encourage you to wait till the case is heard and the verdict is read before forming an opinion. [/img]

Kevin,

True, I an not on the Grand Jury that when forward with prosecution in this case. I don't know the people involved or the reasoning or policies of the administration at Lee.

My post had to do with a past, but real life, experience which took place at a "Christian" college involving one of the daughters of a church family. I was trying to raise the broader question of why are colleges and universities (both public and private) are allowed to function in a way that keeps them from involving law enforcement in possible criminal cases. Certainly, if any other institutions, including local churches or denominations, assumed such authority (in this day and age) there would be justifiable out cry.

It can be noted historically the Church of God has embraced the courts (I Corinthians 6:1-8 aside) for many other matters. As is said, "justice delayed is justice denied", so in criminal matters, let the courts do their work. That is my point and my opinion, from past experience to George Floyd.

MAT
Acts Enthusiast
10/8/20 8:20 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic