Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Do you all cook with cast iron?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Do you all cook with cast iron? Ernie Long
We are cooking with cast iron skillet and the food has the best taste ever!!! Acts Enthusiast
10/3/20 6:37 pm

Post FLRon
I was raised on cast iron cooking Ernie. You're right, the taste is exceptional.
10/3/20 6:51 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
I love cast iron. I've got two pans and a cast iron dutch oven. Most of the time I just use my stainless steel, though. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/3/20 10:05 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
A little known fact...

If you are anemic, eating food cooked in a cast iron pan will also help raise your iron levels.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/3/20 10:33 pm

Post Ernie Long
My mom and mamaw always cooked with cast iron. My wife fixed cornbread the other night in the skillet and man did it bring back memories. We also bought a 8 qt pot that we're going to fix soupbeans in. Wished we done this years ago. Acts Enthusiast
10/4/20 6:00 am

Post Cojak
Most foks my ge were raised on most food cooked in cast iron. My wife would never cook corn bread in anything else.
Now the funniest thing I can remember my best friend Sonny did was 'clean' his wife's cast Iron!
He had a new 'sand blaster' and was itching to try it out. So into the house bringing ALL the old black cast iron out. When he got thru it looked like NEW! WRONG... CAST IRON IS NEVER SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE NEW. His wife was upset for months. LOL
True sad story.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/4/20 9:10 am

Post Da Sheik
My wife doesn't, but I was raised on cast iron skillet food! Acts Enthusiast
10/4/20 9:29 am

Post Link
Cojak wrote:
Most foks my ge were raised on most food cooked in cast iron. My wife would never cook corn bread in anything else.
Now the funniest thing I can remember my best friend Sonny did was 'clean' his wife's cast Iron!
He had a new 'sand blaster' and was itching to try it out. So into the house bringing ALL the old black cast iron out. When he got thru it looked like NEW! WRONG... CAST IRON IS NEVER SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE NEW. His wife was upset for months. LOL
True sad story.

You just have to coat it with oil and bake it in the oven for so long and it's as 'good as old' again. Just don't put it in the dishwasher, especially untreated. I've had to tell my kids not to do that. If they do, you have to treat them before they rust.
Acts-perienced Poster
10/4/20 3:40 pm

Post I've asked my mom for hers when she passes on.... Aaron Scott
So seasoned that there are no bumps in the bottom of the pan.

Just telling my son yesterday that the best hamburgers I ever had were the ones my grandmother cooked in her cast iron skillet!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/4/20 7:38 pm

Post Just yesterday it happened Cojak
We have bought a trailer here in Florida. Moving out of the motor home and sending it off to the RV hospital (AGAIN). We tried to get what we would need whiile it ran up a new bill, but you always forget something. We took it in yesterday AM. Tht after noon She comes out tome, You know what I forgot? My Iron Skillet, who will I make corn bread?

I know you hate to but fry it on the stovetop. "BUT it isn't the same!!!"

Yep, it is hard to live in three places. LOL
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/7/20 9:33 am

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
Cornbread for sure. We cook steaks in ours and of course fried potatoes with onions. I have probably at least 4 - 2 big ones for those potatoes.
One thing i do not cook in them is fried chicken. Probably my fault but it never seems to come out right. I use my electric skillet for fried chicken Always turns out good in it.
Friendly Face
10/7/20 11:20 am

Post Ernie Long
THE LOVE OF GOD wrote:
Cornbread for sure. We cook steaks in ours and of course fried potatoes with onions. I have probably at least 4 - 2 big ones for those potatoes.
One thing i do not cook in them is fried chicken. Probably my fault but it never seems to come out right. I use my electric skillet for fried chicken Always turns out good in it.

I was thinking of frying fish in the skillet. If I do, will the skillet have a fish taste in the food I fry in it afterwards?
Acts Enthusiast
10/8/20 7:05 pm

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
Ernie Long wrote:
THE LOVE OF GOD wrote:

I was thinking of frying fish in the skillet. If I do, will the skillet have a fish taste in the food I fry in it afterwards?

I haven't noticed a smell when I reuse it. I always hand wash mine in hot soapy water and dry it good and rub it down with shortening. Just my way. Some people will not use soap at all but hasn't hurt mine.

My husband got a great deal on our last cast iron skillet. He got it a thrift shop for $5. It was a Wagoner probably a 10 inch size. Somebody didn't know the value when they priced it. A blessing from the Lord!! I always check the bottom for Wagoner, Lodge or Griswald. I don't buy the Tiawian stuff.
Friendly Face
10/9/20 1:20 am

Post georgiapath
I have 4, anything that is fried is in one of them. Acts-dicted
10/13/20 7:19 pm

Post Link
I've heard of people not ever washing a skillet. Soap and water doesn't seem to hurt it. The dishwasher will take the 'cure' off of it and they rust quickly if you do that. You have to rub oil all over it again and bake it at a certain temperature for so long to get the black layer back on there. I greased one down and left it in the oven for a while so it would get baked with other stuff after one of the kids put it in the dishwasher.

I thought about curing some tools like that, but if they have rubber handles, that's not going to work. Maybe I ought to do that with some Model-T pliers and see how it goes.
Acts-perienced Poster
10/16/20 8:45 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic