Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Heritage

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Heritage Dow Moses
There is great blessing in a Godly heritage. Many today don’t know the power of having a praying grandmother or parent for that matter. I was so blessed to have such a powerful heritage of praying people in my life. Direction in my life came from prayer. Knowing and believing in the call on my life from the age of 6 years old was confirmed and encouraged by my family. No I was not called into ministry by my family, But I was encouraged that following God is as valuable as be a doctor or lawyer. I have over 100 year heritage in the COG. I’m thankful for all I’ve experienced from my God fearing family. Growing up it was nothing to be with my grandmother in the bank or grocery store and her run in someone and prayer meeting breakout and even shouting the praises of God. I was taught faith is nothing to be ashamed of. God is worthy of a life well lived. Today I’m more thankful thank ever of a Godly heritage.
9/18/20 4:51 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Same. My great-grandmother received the HG before 1900. She was involved with starting a COG in NC. Many of my family members have been ministers. My Dad was a COG pastor. I grew up in it. It is my heritage that I respect even though I am no longer a member. Acts-pert Poster
9/18/20 1:22 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
I didn't have this, but stories like this move me to do whatever I can to make sure my kids do. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/18/20 2:46 pm

Post FLRon
I have absolutely zero heritage in the church, unless one counts the year and a half my dad was saved before he passed away. In some ways I have always felt cheated. In other ways I have felt blessed because I have had no pre conceived notions or traditions prohibiting me from following God’s call on my life. Still, I am somewhat envious of those who can claim such a rich heritage in the church.
9/21/20 7:37 pm

Post The early members of the .... Mat
The early members of the Holiness/Pentecostal/Church of God Movements surely burned bright in their day. Some of their hunger for a deeper Spiritual experience came as a reaction to the "liberalization" of mainline denominations, especially the Methodist. At the same time scripture was under attack by theologians (higher criticism), spiritualism was on the rise, the twins of evolution and utopism were sweeping the political and intellectual world.

However, God had a people that hungered for personal holiness, not corporate traditions, a people that believed the Word of God was to be obeyed, and who pursued the a deeper experience with the Holy Spirit beyond just a confession of the Trinity. Seen by society as little more than a class of uneducated, unwashed and unremarkable neophytes, these great pioneers withstood the scorn of society at large, and within just three generations transformed (on a global scale) our understanding of Christianity.

Some years ago (early 1990s), I attended some the the Azusa Lectures hosted by Dr. Vinson Syson in the Moot Court at Regent University. There were some great speakers over the years, sharing some wonderful insights. One year the speaker was a Spirit-filled Catholic priest who have be a leader in the Charismatic Movement. At the end of the session I asked him what the Catholic Church's reactions were to the Azusa Street Revival. I remember he said, it was never on their "radar" so they thought nothing of it, but now that they were losing 3000 Catholics a day to Pentecostal Churches in Central America along, its got their full attention.

It was our forefathers (our families) who transformed the 20th century into the "Century of the Holy Spirit" as Dr. Syson wrote. We are the heir's of this great heritage, we have enjoyed the "redemption and lift" in our social and economic lives, and our memories of our Spiritual pioneer families are heart-warming. However, unless there is another outpouring of the Holy Spirit on a movement of those who seek personal holiness and Biblical fidelity, the 21st century will resemble the 19th century instead of the 20th century (IMHO).

Mat

PS I don't think we are somehow smarter than our forefathers, with deeper spiritual insights due to our advanced education. It just seems we have learned how not to sacrifice as they did in pursuit of personal experience with God.
Acts Enthusiast
9/22/20 7:36 am

Post Cojak
Quote Mat:

PS I don't think we are somehow smarter than our forefathers, with deeper spiritual insights due to our advanced education. It just seems we have learned how not to sacrifice as they did in pursuit of personal experience with God.

I appreciate that PS my friend.
God is good. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/23/20 9:09 pm

Post Cojak
I put a comment on here earlier but my computer crashed (big time) I am on an old one now. I was raised by two of the most dedicated Christians I have ever known. Dad pastored over 50 years. In the early 1920 Fire Baptized, early 1930s COG.
9/23/20 9:13 pm

Post Cojak
Sorry for duplicate, but Heritage, is a blessing, but not necessary for a great testimony! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
9/23/20 9:13 pm

Post Just an interesting thought roughridercog
I too have a heritage in old time holiness roots. At the same time, I'm forced to wonder how at home these pioneers would feel in our churches of today and how well they would be received.

For example, imagine Spurling or Lee stepping to the pulpit at o e of our camp meetings or GA. What would the reaction be and what would they preach?
9/25/20 7:16 am

Post Re: Just an interesting thought Mat
roughridercog wrote:
I too have a heritage in old time holiness roots. At the same time, I'm forced to wonder how at home these pioneers would feel in our churches of today and how well they would be received.

For example, imagine Spurling or Lee stepping to the pulpit at o e of our camp meetings or GA. What would the reaction be and what would they preach?

Think of how the attendees would react to their preaching, especially if "signs following believers" were preached. By all accounts, Lee died a terrible death due to his belief in not going to doctors or taking medicine. It is said that it was do painful and traumatic that his wife suffered from emotional issues for years afterwards. Yet Lee believed he was "keeping the faith" by trusting only in God for healing. So if Lee were to preach against going to doctors, what would happen?

Mat

PS Kind of like the COVID-19 issues of today.
Acts Enthusiast
9/25/20 9:46 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I too have deep family roots in the Holiness and Pentecostal movements. God has no grandchildren though. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/25/20 9:49 am

Post Carolyn Smith
My grandmama was a shoutin' Methodist...
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/27/20 5:16 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic