Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What makes someone want to be a Supreme Court Judge?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What makes someone want to be a Supreme Court Judge? FLRon
Thinking about the inevitable Inquisition that awaits the most recent nominee, I’ve been wondering why someone would subject themselves and their family to such scrutiny.

Is it power? The idea of reaching the top of one’s profession? The ultimate sense of civic duty?

Personally, I would have to believe beyond any doubt that God had called me to pursue such a position before I would consider it.
9/26/20 9:13 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Good question.

One thought that occurs to me is that the inquisition is pretty brief, all things considered. Of course that's been better for some than others. Gorsuch, Roberts and Alito had very forgettable inquisitions, while Thomas and Kavanaugh did not. I would assume Barrett will be in the latter group, though in her case it will just be an attack on her beliefs and character rather than accusing her of criminal misconduct.

But even for Thomas and Kavanaugh -- the left remembers and believes the things they said about them, but who else does? Meanwhile, Thomas has been on the court for almost thirty years now, shaping the law of one of the greatest countries on Earth.

I'm sure the answer varies by person, just like being a pastor. For some, it's definitely the desire to have power over other people (pastors and justices). For others, the idea of being successful in your profession. And for many others, the sense of duty.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/27/20 8:44 am

Post Cojak
Wow to this quote from DD:
Thomas has been on the court for almost thirty years now, shaping the law of one of the greatest countries on Earth. .............

TIME? I would have blurted out ten or fifteen years for Thomas. Where does it go??

But I do agree with DD's overall look at reasons, they are too many to know what each individual feels. But I agree with all my heart, this is the greatest country (of this magnitude) on this earth. I love this country and have high hopes for the future and the cause of Christ. Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/27/20 9:10 am

Post Dave Dorsey
To borrow from an old joke, you know what they call folks like Thomas, Kavanaugh, and Barrett who go through the worst possible confirmation hearings on their way to the court?

Associate Justice.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/27/20 2:42 pm

Post Cojak
Dave Dorsey wrote:
To borrow from an old joke, you know what they call folks like Thomas, Kavanaugh, and Barrett who go through the worst possible confirmation hearings on their way to the court?

Associate Justice.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/28/20 10:59 am

Post Re: What makes someone want to be a Supreme Court Judge? Richard L Shores
FLRon wrote:
Thinking about the inevitable Inquisition that awaits the most recent nominee, I’ve been wondering why someone would subject themselves and their family to such scrutiny.

A lifetime appointment to the the most powerful court in the land.

That's how Justice Thomas answered that question.

I am not a complete idiot; some pieces are missing.
Friendly Face
9/28/20 7:24 pm

Post Re: What makes someone want to be a Supreme Court Judge? Tom Sterbens
Probably the same thing that makes one want to be a pastor. Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
10/2/20 10:14 pm

Post georgiapath
The questions they asked Amy Coney Barrett make them look stupid, they were trying to bait her but it didn't work. She clearly was the smartest one in the room. Acts-dicted
10/17/20 7:13 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic