Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Dennis McGuire

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Dennis McGuire JLarry
Listened to Dennis McGuire preach today. Small church but he still has it.

I remember when he was one of the lead guys for the GO. I did not know him but Doyle told me he was a good man. Seems Doyle was right.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
9/6/20 4:20 pm

Post One of the greatest campmeetings...Western NC Aaron Scott
Bro. McGuire was the overseer. I don't know, but I imagine he was taking some heat from the uber-conservatives in that region.

He had T.L. Lowery preaching--and man it was great.

I drove up from Florida and stayed with, it appeared, retired and/or widowed ministers in the dormitory.

It was exceptional in EVERY way. After the Florida Campmeeting, I went to NC for that one. It felt like I had stepped into a time machine and went back 10-20 years due to the way they worshiped, the incredible singing, the great preaching. In other words, it felt more akin to the FL Campmeetings of my youth than anything else.

It remains an unforgettable experience...and I felt that Bro. McGuire absolutely made it about the God and His people--not himself. I almost got the feeling that he'd have been fine with someone else doing all of the announcing, etc.

Also, in year my father retired (I believe), I requested if the GO could make a DVD that we could play. Bro. McGuire did such a splendid job. My ol' dad wept at this great courtesy.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/6/20 10:47 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I heard him preach many years ago in the Eastern NC Campmeeting. His text was from Hebrews 12:12 about lifting up the hands that hang down and the feeble knees. It was a message of encouragement for those that were feeling weak and like they couldn't go on. It was very personal to me, and the message was great.
9/7/20 11:39 am

Post UncleJD
He is a good man, I love his family. We were close with them during their time in Texas. I try to keep up with his son and daughter on FB, we were good friends back in the day. I love to hear him preach. Some of my fondest memories were jamming with DeRosa and Michelle after camp meeting ( I played bass while they played piano and drums). Good times. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/8/20 10:09 am

Post Is the Charlotte Campmeeting eastern or western NC? Aaron Scott
I may have that directional wrong. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/9/20 10:33 am

Post Re: Is the Charlotte Campmeeting eastern or western NC? Carolyn Smith
Aaron Scott wrote:
I may have that directional wrong.

Charlotte Campmeeting was in Western NC. It's no longer held in Charlotte. I think it's been held in Lincolnton the last couple of years. And there is also the Whittier Campmeeting in the mountains of NC where there is property the COG owns.

Eastern NC Campgrounds is in Kenly, NC, more towards the middle of the state, not far from Goldsboro.

The Charlotte campgrounds are no more. That property (sadly) was sold to the city of Charlotte (or the airport, I'm not sure) in 1999 due to the noise problems the new runway at the airport caused. It stood vacant for years, then was damaged by a hurricane that came through. It was vandalized with graffiti, etc., and the last report was that all of the buildings have been torn down. Not to hijack this thread, but it grieves everyone that was ever a part of it (that I know of.) It was a sacred place, especially to the PKs, and it's now gone. The presence of God was amazing in the Tabernacle there, as I'm sure Cojak can attest to.
9/9/20 10:50 am

Post Carolyn... Aaron Scott
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:
I may have that directional wrong.

Charlotte Campmeeting was in Western NC. It's no longer held in Charlotte. I think it's been held in Lincolnton the last couple of years. And there is also the Whittier Campmeeting in the mountains of NC where there is property the COG owns.

Eastern NC Campgrounds is in Kenly, NC, more towards the middle of the state, not far from Goldsboro.

The Charlotte campgrounds are no more. That property (sadly) was sold to the city of Charlotte (or the airport, I'm not sure) in 1999 due to the noise problems the new runway at the airport caused. It stood vacant for years, then was damaged by a hurricane that came through. It was vandalized with graffiti, etc., and the last report was that all of the buildings have been torn down. Not to hijack this thread, but it grieves everyone that was ever a part of it (that I know of.) It was a sacred place, especially to the PKs, and it's now gone. The presence of God was amazing in the Tabernacle there, as I'm sure Cojak can attest to.

I know how you feel. The Florida Campmeeting--or as it was known, "The Granddaddy of Them All"--was a place that is engraved in my soul. I have experienced countless blessings there, spent youth camps there, enjoyed Blue Raspberry and Cherry snocones by the dozens there....

Every summer, many of us would sigh and wish for air conditioning.

Finally, it came. The old Tabernacle was torn down and a new, beautiful one built. Until last year, I don't know if, since those times, I experienced or heard of such campmeetings as we used to have.

I don't know. I have wondered if the heat was a kind of "filter" that kept out those that didn't really come because they loved the Lord, etc. Because once we had a closed in, much nicer, air-conditioned place, instead of virtually every-night explosion of praise and worship, we instead had glimmers. This person or group or choir might bring down the house, but often it seemed that little was happening. One thing that didn't stop was the great preaching, but even then, it was not QUITE like it used to be. It used to be that people would kneel in the altars--sometimes to the wee hours of the morning--but now it is usually not that way.

Until last year.

My dad told me that it was the most exceptional Campmeeting in recent memory (his favorite has always been the 1972 with Paul Henson). I miss the old Tabernacle and the snow cones and fellowship. But I don't miss the heat.

I trust, as the Lord promised, "the glory of the latter house will be greater than that of the former house." If so, the latter house has a lot to live up to!
9/11/20 8:47 am

Post Re: Dennis McGuire BishopsWife
JLarry wrote:

I remember when he was one of the lead guys for the GO. I did not know him but Doyle told me he was a good man. Seems Doyle was right.

He is truly a wonderful man of God. He and DeRosa pastor the Ladd Springs Church of God, just outside of Cleveland. If you want to be encouraged go to the Ladd Springs Church of God facebook page. They life-stream the services to FB. https://www.facebook.com/groups/215241385183683/
Acts Enthusiast
9/11/20 10:38 am

Post Bishop's Wife??? Are you serious? Aaron Scott
BishopsWife wrote:
JLarry wrote:

He is truly a wonderful man of God. He and DeRosa pastor the Ladd Springs Church of God, just outside of Cleveland. If you want to be encouraged go to the Ladd Springs Church of God facebook page. They life-stream the services to FB. https://www.facebook.com/groups/215241385183683/

Dennis McGuire pastors LADD SPRINGS? That is the first church I attended as a child. It's where my dad received the Holy Ghost in 1958.

WOW! That is amazing.

They have had lots of good pastors over the years, but to my knowledge they've never had anyone that has held such high office as Bro. McGuire.

May it grow and prosper. I had always hoped this little church would find a way back to the times when such wonderful revivals were had. I tip my hat to all the former pastor who, even when it was tough, kept it going.
9/11/20 2:45 pm

Post Re: Bishop's Wife??? Are you serious? BishopsWife
Yes, I am serious! He and his family are dear friends! He has been pastoring for several months now. He is REAL! Try this link though: https://www.facebook.com/LaddSpringsCOG/ Acts Enthusiast
9/11/20 3:22 pm

Post Dennis McGuire kyeagle
We love the McGuires. They've hold frequent revivals for us. Over 20 years ago, he came and held a couple of Pastor Preference votes. After one of them, they went to a campground where we were camping. They enjoyed our Pinto Beans and Corn Bread. Friendly Face
9/11/20 5:19 pm

Post sadlytrue77
The first time I ever met or heard of him was about thirty years ago now. I knew right then he was the real deal. Hes a good man.

New Orleans Bred, Mississippi Led, Hopefully Arizona will be home before I'm dead.
*OnceASaintsFanAlwaysASaintsFan*
Friendly Face
9/16/20 10:50 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic