Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Has WOF kind of died out?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Has WOF kind of died out? Link
I visited a church near where I recently moved a while back. They sang contemporary Christian music. I remember the song, 'The Blessing' being sung. The sermon touched on the great things God could do to provide for you during this time. it was good. It wasn't too out of balance on greed. The big problem that stood out was one I've seen at A/Gs and COGs overseas-- having people repeat a prayer to ask Jesus into their lives without telling them Who Jesus is, that He died for their sins-- without preaching the Gospel-- and telling them they were saved.

The church hosted a prophetic conference, and included the speaker who did not think God was judging people during this time. The speakers did not seem WOF.

Then I found out that the pastor, at least the one there, had gone to Rhema. The sermon was on one of the WOF topics, but it wasn't overtly WOF movement Noone said 'That's a negative confession' or told you not to pray 'Thy wll be done' in the meeting. It didn't have that WOF movement feel to it. It had more of a generic modern Charismatic feel to it And it didn't seem like the church was stuck in that narrow window of doctrinal topics, from my perceptions of it. I haven't gone week after week.

I read that Kenneth Copeland's Believer's Voice of Victory is not going to air on TBN after some time this October. Copeland is 83 years old.

Now, I have met some other preachers who have gone to Rhema who do not just repeat Hagin's faith teachings and who preach on more than 80 verses or so. Maybe my impression of the WOF movement as being about teaching on 80 to 100 verses and on few topics over and over again (positive confession, healing, salvation) is some kind of false stereotype in my mind.

Is the WOF movement not 'the thing' anymore and the churches that used to be into this will go into other teachings, some of the NAR stuff, or maybe even.... the Bible? Is the strong sense of identity as a 'Word of Faith church' going to weaken, and they will be more evangelical and more generic Charismatic?

I think some of the newer 'empower evangelical' and sort of Charismatic churches that accept prophets, apostles, etc. have absorbed some WOF teaching, maybe a more moderate version. Emphasis may be on 'apostolic decrees' in some churches instead of all believers doing that in the NAR side of the movement. It seems like some of the churches try to avoid the unseemly attitude toward money--both about desiring and accumulating it and fund raising-- that was prevalent in some of the WOF churches.
Acts-perienced Poster
9/2/20 1:04 pm

Post I heard serpent seed is making a comeback roughridercog
Anyone know any experts on it? Laughing
9/3/20 7:21 am

Post Re: Has WOF kind of died out? Dave Dorsey
Link wrote:
I think some of the newer 'empower evangelical' and sort of Charismatic churches that accept prophets, apostles, etc. have absorbed some WOF teaching, maybe a more moderate version. Emphasis may be on 'apostolic decrees' in some churches instead of all believers doing that in the NAR side of the movement. It seems like some of the churches try to avoid the unseemly attitude toward money--both about desiring and accumulating it and fund raising-- that was prevalent in some of the WOF churches.

I think you nailed it here, except I don't think they've absorbed a more moderate version. IMO, WOF is stronger than ever.

The incredible emphasis on prosperity and wealth has decreased, but they still make "confessions" of extreme prosperity at places like Bethel, and giving (usually described these days as sowing into the kingdom, investing in the kingdom, etc.) to get is still a huge emphasis. And, not for nothing, Bill Johnson drives an Aston Martin.

But prosperity teaching is only a function of WOF doctrine. The core errant doctrines of WOF theology, such as Christians being little gods and having power to decree and declare, are stronger than ever. The charismatic (note, I did not say Pentecostal) world today is completely bound up in these doctrines which originated with Kenyon and WOF. They are the core theology of Kingdom Now, NAR, the seven mountains mandate, etc.

There is also an increasing unification between these modern charismatic groups and old-school WOFers. Todd White has become a "spiritual son" of Kenneth Copeland, and Bill Johnson spoke at the KCM flagship Southwest Believer's Convention last month, I think the first time anyone outside the immediate old-school WOF world ever has.

IMO, WOF has changed names but it is stronger and more dangerous than ever before.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/3/20 8:33 am

Post Link
i don't think Michael Heiser is Pentecostal or Charismatic per se, but I think his books on demonology might appeal to Charismatics, at least the ones who tend toward the intellectual side of things or who want to learn more about demons.

He argues that the 'little gods' passage is about entities that are popularly referred to as 'angels'-- though he takes that as a word to describe the messenger role some of the beings take. If it becomes popular with Charismatics, at least it would attack the 'little gods' interpretation.
Acts-perienced Poster
9/3/20 2:01 pm

Post Re: I heard serpent seed is making a comeback georgiapath
roughridercog wrote:
Anyone know any experts on it? Laughing

Please don't wake that sleeping dog. lol
Acts-dicted
9/13/20 9:51 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic