Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Perry Stone's status under question ..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post A brother, his ministry, and home are in trouble roughridercog
We don't need the gory details.
He is a public figure, a well known minister, and we hold fellow ministers to a higher standard.
But evidently there were steps within the organization for correction and restoration.
Let us pray for all touched by this.

Realize that it could have been anyo one of us if we let our guard down.
7/31/20 7:03 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
All of you know that I have loved and followed Perry Stone for years, long before I came to ACTS. I have followed his ministry since the mid-80s when I saw him in person in a 4 week revival at Fort Mill COG in SC. I saw God move that week in an incredible way. I was sorry to hear of this recent development, but it doesn't change how I feel about Perry or his ministry.

Perry has openly admitted that something inappropriate happened, though what specifically has not been made public. (It only said "in word and in deed and it wasn't criminal in nature, as determined by his board.") This does not seem to be a behavior that has gone on for an extended period of time. He has made himself subject to his board and his wife, and he also now has an accountability board. And most importantly, to God. He has totally stepped away from ministry for the last three months as in NOTHING, no personal Facebook posts, no preaching, etc.) He has been working on his emotional/mental and physical health and has been undergoing daily counseling. He has been spending time with his family and taking a much-needed break.

He has said a lot of this has happened because of the mental/emotional stress he has been under for years. He also sent a lengthy message to his partners about 7 areas where he has fallen short. This part was not included in that message.

Something he also said in the message to his partners was that he did not take a personal Sabbath. Basically he has been burning the candle at both ends for years, and we all know that eventually that catches up with you. His BP was at a stroke level and he actually physically collapsed at some point.

God is a forgiving God and He is the one in charge ultimately. It's up to Him and the boards Perry has made himself accountable to. THIS IS WHAT IS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN if someone fails. I am not making excuses for him. This is certainly a big failure, but if he has subjected himself to his board and his authority, is it our place to do anything but forgive him and pray for him as he is restored? (And it is also my understanding that Perry is no longer associated with the COG.)

The Lord has also given direction to them, and God has confirmed it in several ways (not just to Perry) that Karen Wheaton is stepping in and will be starting up a RAMP Cleveland ministry on his property (OCI) beginning on September 5th. Judy and Jamie Tuttle (whose church is physically right around the corner from OCI) will also be involved. He has surrounded himself with people who will love him and help him walk through this process of restoration.

I think ministers should take note of what has happened and use it as a warning not to overdo it, not to disobey things like not taking a Sabbath, and learning to take care of ourselves physically, mentally, and emotionally, and not allow ourselves to be overtaxed in this way, even if it is for the ministry. How many promising people have we seen destroy their ministry like this?

I am FB friends with Perry's wife, Pam, (not that she knows me, but she accepted my friend request) and she was very upset about the article because there have always been people trying to destroy their ministry. She shared the article from the paper herself, but I'm sure it was very heartbreaking and embarrassing for all of this to come out publicly. However, in the end it will be for their good because then nothing will be hidden that the enemy can use against them.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/31/20 9:06 pm

Post Yes. Rafael D Martinez
Carolyn Smith wrote:
However, in the end it will be for their good because then nothing will be hidden that the enemy can use against them.

Amen Carolyn.

The report was just a report. It's no headhunting. It's the unvarnished truth God is using to perfect him.

There are those who like their preachers on the flashy side, as 10 feet tall and bulletproof and can't handle their warts. That's too bad. That's why so many preachers are in trouble today. We want to believe their PR and we close our eyes up to just how human they are.

God is using the base things of the world to chasten his sons to get them to turn back to him when nothing else will, so be it. No amount of stuff or accolades will mean a thing in the judgement to come. The END of all things is at hand and position and power and prosperity means nothing in that fire.

Since Scripture says judgment BEGINS at the house of God, what does it say about those who can't abide that plain Scriptural truth when it's seen right in front of them?

You really don't want me to go there, although there are those who whine about it now. But they whine about a lot of things, too. I am praying for Perry and Pam. I'm not wasting bandwidth speculating about whether bringing it up benefits the finer sensibilities of the mob here. This is a house on fire and I'm hoping what they lose bring real gain to them.

They are in the fires of a conflagration Perry has confessed to setting. I'm praying he come out of it with feet on the ground and a heart of repentance. I'm out of this thread.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
8/1/20 1:42 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Great post, Carolyn. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/1/20 3:35 am

Post The simple truth... Aaron Scott
If we go with the Golden Rule--do unto others as you would have them do unto you--we make different decisions than usual.

If I had been caught in fault, had admitted it to those around me, had asked forgiveness of God and man, and had taken measures to be accountable, etc., I would not want that broadcast to the community for a number of reasons....

But one big one would be that it would damage my reputation with them NEEDLESSLY. Unless it's a need-to-know matter (such as predatory behavior of some sort), what good does it do them to know?

Consider this scenario: You went in confidence to your pastor and the church board and confessed that there was sin in your life (again, not predatory sin). He asks you to remove yourself from your ministerial positions for six months. You do so, explaining that you need time to refresh, restore, etc. (since you feel that your sin came from being in a weakened physical and spiritual state).

All is well. God is reviving you, etc. You have apologized where you need to apologize. You have done all you know to do.

But then someone is digging, digging, digging, making a diligent search for faults. Finally, they get the story!!! Delighted, they rush off to publish it.

Oh, but that's not the end of it, is it? Nope. Christians join in to help the world spread the word that you have had a moral failure of some sort. (How serious it was is not known--if you came up in the COG, as did Perry, it might be as "relatively harmless" as holding hands or kissing another woman. Which would feel damning to the sincere soul, but far, far less than an ongoing affair or, worse, ongoing homosexual encounters, etc.)

I don't want to help the devil do his job. Even if this was posted with good intentions, it falls short of how we should respond. And if there was anything other than good intentions, it has been seen by heaven.

Yes, if there is a priest that is preying on young boys, sound the trumpet! But for failures that can rightfully be held in confidence, let the confidentially stand.
8/1/20 9:22 am

Post One thing for sure JLarry
If this happened to me I sure would not want some here to know it.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
8/1/20 10:43 am

Post JLarry... Aaron Scott
JLarry wrote:

Amen! Just be sure the press doesn't pick it up or I'll be reading about it and then standing up in church and asking prayer for our "dear fallen Bro. Larry..." HA!
8/1/20 10:59 am

Post Re: The simple truth... Carolyn Smith
Aaron Scott wrote:
If we go with the Golden Rule--do unto others as you would have them do unto you--we make different decisions than usual.

If I had been caught in fault, had admitted it to those around me, had asked forgiveness of God and man, and had taken measures to be accountable, etc., I would not want that broadcast to the community for a number of reasons....

But one big one would be that it would damage my reputation with them NEEDLESSLY. Unless it's a need-to-know matter (such as predatory behavior of some sort), what good does it do them to know?

Consider this scenario: You went in confidence to your pastor and the church board and confessed that there was sin in your life (again, not predatory sin). He asks you to remove yourself from your ministerial positions for six months. You do so, explaining that you need time to refresh, restore, etc. (since you feel that your sin came from being in a weakened physical and spiritual state).

All is well. God is reviving you, etc. You have apologized where you need to apologize. You have done all you know to do.

But then someone is digging, digging, digging, making a diligent search for faults. Finally, they get the story!!! Delighted, they rush off to publish it.

Oh, but that's not the end of it, is it? Nope. Christians join in to help the world spread the word that you have had a moral failure of some sort. (How serious it was is not known--if you came up in the COG, as did Perry, it might be as "relatively harmless" as holding hands or kissing another woman. Which would feel damning to the sincere soul, but far, far less than an ongoing affair or, worse, ongoing homosexual encounters, etc.)

I don't want to help the devil do his job. Even if this was posted with good intentions, it falls short of how we should respond. And if there was anything other than good intentions, it has been seen by heaven.

Yes, if there is a priest that is preying on young boys, sound the trumpet! But for failures that can rightfully be held in confidence, let the confidentially stand.

It has been stated that there were women who came forward and spoke to the board.
8/1/20 12:35 pm

Post Re: Perry Stone's status under question .. Belieber
Rafael D Martinez wrote:
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2020/jul/30/evangelist-perry-stone-acted-inappropriately/528699/

You guys thrive on this stuff, don't you?
Hey, DOC
8/4/20 10:35 am

Post Re: Perry Stone's status under question .. Carolyn Smith
Belieber wrote:
Rafael D Martinez wrote:
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2020/jul/30/evangelist-perry-stone-acted-inappropriately/528699/

You guys thrive on this stuff, don't you?

I was actually quite surprised at how well this was handled here. No mudslinging really, to speak of. Instead I see concern for a fallen brother and respect for how he handled it. All depends on how you look at it.

There was a similar thread on a FB page that was removed after several hours, which I thought was kind of sad because except for a couple of people, it was a very good thread. We DO need to talk about this kind of thing as long as it's not done as gossip.

There are a lot of horrible comments re: this on a public thread for one of the newspapers, from readers/viewers there. This is nothing like that.

Just my opinion...
8/4/20 10:56 am

Post Re: A brother, his ministry, and home are in trouble Da Sheik
roughridercog wrote:

Realize that it could have been any one of us if we let our guard down.

True words. Anyone that thinks otherwise is right where the devil wants them to be. Prayers for Perry and Pam!
Acts Enthusiast
8/6/20 9:56 am

Post FLRon
I’ve never been a follower of Perry Stone and know nothing about him or his personal life. All that matters to me in this situation is that he repents, and it sounds as though he has, and he does whatever it takes to minimize the damage to his marriage and his family. His ministry doesn’t matter at this juncture, at least that’s how I think it should be.
God will take care of that part of his life when Perry takes care of his family first.
8/6/20 2:57 pm

Post Re: JLarry... georgiapath
Aaron Scott wrote:
JLarry wrote:

Amen! Just be sure the press doesn't pick it up or I'll be reading about it and then standing up in church and asking prayer for our "dear fallen Bro. Larry..." HA!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Acts-dicted
8/7/20 7:37 pm

Post Perry Stone - Thoughts BishopsWife
I don't know the details other than what Perry Stone has said himself but I do know this to be true. I am NOT making excuses for him. But Perry suffers from Asberger's syndrome, as does his son. This syndrome makes him socially awkward. Anxiety and frustration can lead to behaviors he cannot control; this is a neurological issue. Acts Enthusiast
8/10/20 1:19 pm

Post Re: Perry Stone - Thoughts excellentposter
BishopsWife wrote:
I don't know the details other than what Perry Stone has said himself but I do know this to be true. I am NOT making excuses for him. But Perry suffers from Asberger's syndrome, as does his son. This syndrome makes him socially awkward. Anxiety and frustration can lead to behaviors he cannot control; this is a neurological issue.

If our anxieties and frustration lead us to commit sinful behaviors, are we therefore not guilty of the sinful behaviors?
Friendly Face
8/13/20 5:11 pm

Post Re: Perry Stone - Thoughts Carolyn Smith
excellentposter wrote:
BishopsWife wrote:
I don't know the details other than what Perry Stone has said himself but I do know this to be true. I am NOT making excuses for him. But Perry suffers from Asberger's syndrome, as does his son. This syndrome makes him socially awkward. Anxiety and frustration can lead to behaviors he cannot control; this is a neurological issue.

If our anxieties and frustration lead us to commit sinful behaviors, are we therefore not guilty of the sinful behaviors?

Yes, of course, we are. I think Bishop's Wife was just offering an additional reason he may have been more susceptible to what happened. She stated she was not making excuses for him. (I'm not trying to speak for her, just commenting on your post.)
8/13/20 9:07 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic