Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Perry Stone's status under question ..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Perry Stone's status under question .. Rafael D Martinez
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2020/jul/30/evangelist-perry-stone-acted-inappropriately/528699/

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
7/31/20 11:35 am

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
Is Bro. Perry still in the COG? We have been praying for him since we heard this. Friendly Face
7/31/20 12:33 pm

Post The Four Gates of Speech.... Aaron Scott
Is it true?

Is it necessary?

Is it beneficial?

Is it kind?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/31/20 1:41 pm

Post Re: The Four Gates of Speech.... Rafael D Martinez
Aaron Scott wrote:
Is it true?

Is it necessary?

Is it beneficial?

Is it kind?

For someone who hid behind three pen names at a time in the past, that's mighty big coming out of you.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
7/31/20 2:33 pm

Post Once again... Aaron Scott
Is it true?

Is it necessary?

Is it beneficial?

Is it kind?
7/31/20 3:16 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
If this is true -- and if the audio is authentic, then by Perry's own admission it is -- then he engaged in unwanted inappropriate behavior toward female members of his staff.

Yes, it is necessary, beneficial, and kind (to victims) to bring this kind of behavior from ministers to light.

My heart is for Perry and I pray that he repents and recovers from this.

But women in the church have suffered enough at the hands of people who want to sweep sinful behavior under the rug under the guise of being "kind". Stop trying to be kind to the perpetrator and consider how you can be kind to the victims.

Perry doesn't seem to be trying to sweep it under the rug. You shouldn't be doing it either.

Last edited by Dave Dorsey on 7/31/20 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/31/20 3:21 pm

Post Change the names and locations ... Mat
Change the name and locations, and you could have read this article five or six times over the last 40 years or so. The ministry/minister are following the same "playbook" of the past in their actions and statements, and there will be a restoration.

However, if you read the article you will see the newspapers has a phone number for women who worked at the ministry to call and "share" their experience. There will most likely be a follow-up article in the future.

Since I'm not COG (I'm COGOP) I will note the "love/hate" relationship many in the COG have concerning Perry Stone. For some this will taste good to the lips, but will be sour in the stomach.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
7/31/20 3:30 pm

Post Re: Change the names and locations ... Dave Dorsey
Mat wrote:
Change the name and locations, and you could have read this article five or six times over the last 40 years or so. The ministry/minister are following the same "playbook" of the past in their actions and statements, and there will be a restoration.

I hope this is not the case, but the information at the end of the article about Stone decreeing and declaring that he is going to "stay above the snake" is not encouraging.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/31/20 3:34 pm

Post Dave, no. Aaron Scott
It was TRUE.

But it wasn't necessary for ME to know it.

It wasn't beneficial for me to know it.

And it wasn't kind to say it UNLESS it was an ongoing and predatory sort of thing.

He had confessed to those closest to him. I didn't need to know about this.

Many years ago, I was at a wonderful gospel sing at a non-denominational Pentecostal church. I didn't know anyone but those in my group and a few who came to the sing.

But someone that was there that night (someone I knew) told me that the woman who pastored was a lesbian.

I didn't know that woman from Adam. I still don't (this was nearly 40 years ago, I suppose). I certainly don't know if what the man told me was correct.

But guess what? ALL I CAN REMEMBER about that church is that the pastor was a lesbian.

If she was, it didn't cause me to go wandering out into the parking lot warning everyone.

if she was, it didn't do me any good to know it.

Worse, if it was false, I STILL WOULD NOW HAVE MY DOUBTS. I might wonder if she was lying or what have you.

THAT is why we don't need to put anyone's dirty laundry out. Only if that person is a danger to others, but this was not the case.

Some people revel in carrying bad news to everyone. I don't like doing that, even though I've probably done it before. I just don't.

I never fully got over the heartbreak of seeing Swaggart break down in tears as he admitted his sin in front of the world. He didn't do everything right after that, but I think he was dead serious when he did that.

And if Perry has addressed it to those affected, I didn't need to know.

I might have come onto it myself on the news, but I don't care for the church to pass the news along.
7/31/20 3:47 pm

Post Re: Change the names and locations ... Mat
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Mat wrote:

I hope this is not the case, but the information at the end of the article about Stone decreeing and declaring that he is going to "stay above the snake" is not encouraging.

Totally spiritualizing the situation and taking authority over it can be very telling. The "decree and declare" is a staple of the Apostles and Prophets movement and communicated a current position in ministry in the face of the underlying issue.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
7/31/20 3:50 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
It wasn't necessary for YOU to know it. Fine.

What about young ladies who will consider working for Perry in the future? Do THEY deserve to know?

Your attitude here is the basis of why there is currently a #ChurchToo movement.

I know that's not your heart. But I urge you to take a step back and focus your heart toward the good of the victims first and foremost, and the good of the man who acted inappropriately toward them second.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/31/20 4:03 pm

Post Dave...nope Aaron Scott
Dave Dorsey wrote:
It wasn't necessary for YOU to know it. Fine.

What about young ladies who will consider working for Perry in the future? Do THEY deserve to know?

Your attitude here is the basis of why there is currently a #ChurchToo movement.

I know that's not your heart. But I urge you to take a step back and focus your heart toward the good of the victims first and foremost, and the good of the man who acted inappropriately toward them second.

It was unnecessary because it was no longer hidden from his staff or from the group that he sent the message to.

Like I said, if he had been a predator of some sort, it's fine to do that. I don't know that I've even heard a single full message by Perry Stone, but if he was that kind of person, it would likely have shown up before now, don't you think? And even then, he is not being shown as a someone who preys on people.

It wasn't reported to us to "protect us," that's for sure.
7/31/20 4:28 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Aaron, I am sure that once you saw the subject line, you didn’t want to read the article because it wasn’t necessary for you. Acts-pert Poster
7/31/20 4:31 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
I'm really disappointed in you, Aaron. It sounds like you are saying the women are exaggerating or lying, which is incomprehensible given the fact that Perry has confessed in plain language to what happened.

The article is based primarily on a public statement released by the board, and secondarily on a statement Perry made in public to a congregation. Perry and the board are not trying to hide this. It is incredibly unfortunate that you apparently think they should be.

I sincerely hope you give this serious thought and reconsider your view.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/31/20 4:40 pm

Post Re: Once again... Quiet Wyatt
Aaron Scott wrote:
Is it true?

Is it necessary?

Is it beneficial?

Is it kind?

The question of beneficence would be the crux. Of course as Christians, we should speak only what is true And what is necessary, to the best of our knowledge. The question of whether a statement is kind is a bit more fuzzy. Certainly not everything Jesus said would be considered kind by the way people nowadays use that term.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/31/20 4:59 pm

Post Eddie... Aaron Scott
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Aaron, I am sure that once you saw the subject line, you didn’t want to read the article because it wasn’t necessary for you.

I had heard that Perry Stone had stepped away for an extended period. I opened the post because I thought there was some development in the matter. I didn't open it to read that he had done wrong, etc.

I saw a FB he did last night. I thought maybe he was announcing a comeback.

I should have taken greater care when I saw who was posting.
7/31/20 5:07 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Is the COG taking action? Acts-pert Poster
7/31/20 5:08 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
My understanding is that Perry Stone turned in his CoG ministerial credentials a few years back. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/31/20 5:11 pm

Post Dave... Aaron Scott
Dave Dorsey wrote:
I'm really disappointed in you, Aaron. It sounds like you are saying the women are exaggerating or lying, which is incomprehensible given the fact that Perry has confessed in plain language to what happened.

The article is based primarily on a public statement released by the board, and secondarily on a statement Perry made in public to a congregation. Perry and the board are not trying to hide this. It is incredibly unfortunate that you apparently think they should be.

I sincerely hope you give this serious thought and reconsider your view.

Dave, you are not getting what I'm saying.

I'm not at all saying that those women exaggerated (although I don't know what was said). I am saying that Perry had ALREADY owned it to his own board and to whomever he sent the audio to.

That being the case, there was NO NEED for the matter to be broadcast to us. If he had been hiding it, etc., then, yes, maybe a reveal is necessary. But I'm saying why do WE have to know about it? What good does that do US?

It does no good at all. It doesn't protect anyone. It simply makes it such that we can no longer view Perry Stone without thinking certain thoughts....

Remember that Joseph, even though he apparently thought the Virgin Mary had cheated on him, was a just man, did not want to make her a public example, AND wished to put her away privately.

In other words, even though he thought she had done something wrong, he wasn't trying to broadcast it. For it served no purpose except to humiliate her and perhaps get her stoned to death.

Of course, maybe some folks want Perry stoned.
7/31/20 5:16 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Perry stoned. I see what you did there. Acts-pert Poster
7/31/20 6:45 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic