Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Covid deaths
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Covid deaths Cojak
Have you lost anyone in your family due to this pandemic? I have lost a first cousin and a niece both in their 70s.
That leaves a nephew and his son still in the hospital with the Virus. Crying or Very sad
How many pastors/preachers in the COG have we lost?
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/25/20 5:14 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
So far, over 20 extended family tested positive. 2 hospitalized, that I know of. 1 death. I know 5 people who have died with it. Deaths are increasing at an alarming rate right now. Summer and heat did nothing to slow this virus down. Acts-pert Poster
7/26/20 8:24 am

Post MrSippi
Eddie Robbins wrote:
So far, over 20 extended family tested positive. 2 hospitalized, that I know of. 1 death. I know 5 people who have died with it. Deaths are increasing at an alarming rate right now. Summer and heat did nothing to slow this virus down.

Where do you see stats that deaths are "increasing at an alarming rate right now"? The CDC statistics actually show that the mortality rate has stabilized or decreased. Please don't take that personal. There are many conflicting statistics out there. I would just like to know your source.
Friendly Face
7/26/20 6:04 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
MrSippi wrote:
Where do you see stats that deaths are "increasing at an alarming rate right now"? The CDC statistics actually show that the mortality rate has stabilized or decreased. Please don't take that personal. There are many conflicting statistics out there. I would just like to know your source.

Google "covid deaths united states" and it will show you a chart at the top of the results (in addition to other data presented in a really clean, helpful way). Case fatality rate is decreasing because we are doing so much more testing (which is good), but deaths as an absolute number have been heading upward for the last month, and are now back to early-June levels.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/27/20 7:53 am

Post UncleJD
I know someone who just died "from Covid", he was 94, had open-heart surgery 2 weeks before, yep, Covid. Not to be callous about it, I know its real, but this very real example of what we'd call "running up the score" in sports is what lends itself to conspiracy theory. They should have 2 columns on china-virus deaths when they give the stats, one "Covid caused", and other "Covid secondary cause". I know many more who have recovered for what its worth. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/27/20 8:01 am

Post Dave Dorsey
If he wouldn't have died had he not contracted COVID, then he died from COVID. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem that hard.

If someone died from a motorcycle accident while having COVID, then sure, that's not a COVID death (and the one instance in Florida where this occurred, which became a big item among conspiracy theorists, was corrected).

But if someone in frail health dies from COVID, what difference does it make that they were in frail health? They'd still be kicking, frail or otherwise, had they not contracted the disease. There's absolutely no reason to classify that as anything other than a COVID death.

My wife lost an uncle to COVID. He was on oxygen and had difficulty breathing before he contracted the disease, but he otherwise didn't have any problems staying alive. Should he not be a COVID death because he had serious underlying conditions before he got the disease, without which he might have survived it?

Just doesn't make any sense to me at all.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/27/20 8:06 am

Post Carolyn Smith
FL COVID Cases (Scroll down to US Cases) My older son lives in FL.

https://www.bing.com/search?form=MOZTSB&pc=MOZI&q=fl+covid+19+data+dashboard

CA COVID Cases (Scroll down to Cumulative Cases and Cases by Region) Daily New Cases have exceeded 10,000 new cases DAILY several times.

https://www.bing.com/search?form=MOZTSB&pc=MOZI&q=ca+covid

Last edited by Carolyn Smith on 7/27/20 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/27/20 8:22 am

Post UncleJD
Dave Dorsey wrote:
If he wouldn't have died had he not contracted COVID, then he died from COVID. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem that hard.

If someone died from a motorcycle accident while having COVID, then sure, that's not a COVID death (and the one instance in Florida where this occurred, which became a big item among conspiracy theorists, was corrected).

But if someone in frail health dies from COVID, what difference does it make that they were in frail health? They'd still be kicking, frail or otherwise, had they not contracted the disease. There's absolutely no reason to classify that as anything other than a COVID death.

My wife lost an uncle to COVID. He was on oxygen and had difficulty breathing before he contracted the disease, but he otherwise didn't have any problems staying alive. Should he not be a COVID death because he had serious underlying conditions before he got the disease, without which he might have survived it?

Just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

the ones that would have died regardless of what they contracted, be it the flu or a bacterial infection of some sort, should NOT be classified as a china-virus death without an asterisk. Yes I understand it may have been the final straw, but many of these people were not "otherwise healthy". (and many were, and I don't deny that those should be labeled as china-virus deaths, china lied, people died), my point is the numbers are skewed.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/27/20 8:36 am

Post MrSippi
Dave Dorsey wrote:
MrSippi wrote:

Google "covid deaths united states" and it will show you a chart at the top of the results (in addition to other data presented in a really clean, helpful way). Case fatality rate is decreasing because we are doing so much more testing (which is good), but deaths as an absolute number have been heading upward for the last month, and are now back to early-June levels.

These are the stats from the CDC website. Where am I missing the "deaths are increasing at an alarming rate right now"? I don't intend to be critical, but the rhetoric is important. Every life is important and any death is tragic. However, we should celebrate that the deaths are decreasing overall and the overall mortality rate in plummeting.

April 51,515
May 40,822
June 19,069
July 17,991 (As of today. 4 days to go)
Friendly Face
7/27/20 10:16 am

Post Dave Dorsey
That wasn't my comment and I'm not going to remark about it.

Deaths are increasing, period. We are not moving in the right direction. Use a shorter timeline to see that. Deaths are not where they were at the peak of the first wave, thank heaven, but they are objectively moving in the wrong direction.

[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/27/20 10:22 am

Post Cojak
I know this started a conspiracy argument, I know there are some evidence that SOME C theories are possible. Since my entire life has been associated with the COG I was just wondering how many pastors we have lost. My wife said she just read of another couple who just passed that pastored.
I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer but politics, methods, and opinions aside, we have a big problem. Evidently bad enough that our overseer just suggested we leave the buildings again and go back to the internet services. Our pastor has complied for the next two weeks only. Sad Some of our folk were really enjoying getting to see folks they had not seen in mnths. I have no problem with the net services. My wife enjoys ours and At least Central every week. Loran does a great job, but he always did on the radio also. Cool
7/27/20 11:01 am

Post WE went to the bank two days ago Cojak
WRONG PLACE SORRY
7/27/20 11:11 am

Post MrSippi
Dave Dorsey wrote:
That wasn't my comment and I'm not going to remark about it.

Deaths are increasing, period. We are not moving in the right direction. Use a shorter timeline to see that. Deaths are not where they were at the peak of the first wave, thank heaven, but they are objectively moving in the wrong direction.

"Deaths are increasing at an alarming rate right now" and "Deaths are increasing, period" are both totally inaccurate statements. You can try to creatively draw that arrow either direction to validate that narrative, but it is just not accurate. There were 500 deaths yesterday. That is 500 too many and COVID-19 is serious. I will wear my mask and social distance. I am not attempting to minismize the threat, but this hyperbole (I want to say B.S.) from every extreme is just ridiculous. I will not believe the hype from one side or the conspiracy from the other side. The statistics are what they are.
Friendly Face
7/27/20 3:06 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Okay, it's pretty clear we don't view data, trends, or statistics the same way so I wish you the best.

Good luck with jamming your fingers in your ears and screaming that deaths aren't increasing because they're not at an all-time high, even though death counts are increasing every single week.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/27/20 3:31 pm

Post MrSippi
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Okay, it's pretty clear we don't view data, trends, or statistics the same way so I wish you the best.

Good luck with jamming your fingers in your ears and screaming that deaths aren't increasing because they're not at an all-time high, even though death counts are increasing every single week.

Up is up. Down is down. Spin it as you want, but I choose to live in the real world and go by the facts. I am not saying that this virus isn’t dangerous. I am saying that this fear mongering and exaggeration is just as ridiculous as the conspiracists that deny it. I’m only interested in the facts!
Friendly Face
7/27/20 4:15 pm

Post UncleJD
It takes a contortionist to say that the infection rate is increasing faster than the death rate yet still insist that things are actually getting worse when a month ago there were a thousand deaths a day IN ONE CITY, now its half that in the entire country and we're supposed to do what? Wring our hands and lock the doors? One death is too many and the blame is squarely on a lying sack of dung communist government, who by the way just had their embassy in Houston shut down being caught red-handed spying and worse, I blame them for each and every one. Blaming Americans is a sick, Chinese tactic and its sad anyone actually falls for such nonsense. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
7/27/20 5:36 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
MrSippi wrote:
Up is up. Down is down. Spin it as you want, but I choose to live in the real world and go by the facts.

First two sentences correct. Third sentence incorrect.

I am not sure what you think is being communicated by the statement that deaths are increasing. It is very simple: The daily death rate is currently increasing. See the green arrow and apply your knowledge that "up is up".
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/27/20 6:10 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
UncleJD wrote:
It takes a contortionist to say that the infection rate is increasing faster than the death rate yet still insist that things are actually getting worse when a month ago there were a thousand deaths a day IN ONE CITY

No doubt, so good thing no one's saying that. Rolling Eyes

Things are currently heading in the wrong direction. That's the statement. It's a simple, verifiable fact. It's not a claim that they are as bad as they've ever been. It's not a claim that they will become even as bad, or close to as bad, as they were in April/May. It's not a claim that we have not made substantial progress. It's not a claim we won't turn around and be making progress again next week.

It's a statement about a simple, verifiable fact: Over the last month, we've stopped making progress and are currently regressing. Whether you two choose to accept that simple fact is up to you.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/27/20 6:15 pm

Post FLRon
Things have completely fallen off the tracks here in Florida. I kind of figured that would happen when the state reopened. Driving around I'm seeing vehicles from as far away as Washington state and California.
7/28/20 5:00 pm

Post Brandon Bohannon
Florida is being hammered right now.

In Texas, Cameron and Hidalgo counties are being slammed.

I live in the Fort Worth area. We have seen our ups and downs. We have stayed church building open for 10 weeks now. While finances have stayed steady, attendance has only averaged 55-60% of our precovid averages. On a positive note, we had 76% this most recent Sunday.

Some very strong churches with good pastors have stayed closed and online only in our area of the state. Another pastor that I know has really battled discouragement and has contemplated stepping away. Pastors with 40+ years of experience are telling me that this is the most difficult time they can ever remember pastoring and ministering in. Hospitals won't let us in.

If you know me outside of Acts then you know that I am extremely active in our church, in our community, and with my family. We are out and about every day. My children are practicing and playing sports. I am married to a high school educator. Even tonight, I have about 100 local cheerleaders using our church gym for a cheer camp.

On the other side of my life, I have parents and inlaws that are aging and vulnerable. We wear masks when we can and should, we wash our hands a lot, we take vitamins, we exercise, we sanitize, BUT we buy gas, groceries, eat out, go to games, AND go to church. My dad preached for us one time during our online only phase from March 22-May17. This week he attended church for the first time since we reopened. He sat in a social distanced section, wore a mask, and wore a colored bracelet that lets others know, "I am here, but please don't touch me." He is as saved a Billy Graham. He has also been hospitalized in the last month and needs to use some wisdom.

As with most things, the balance is in the middle.

Philippians 4:5-7 King James Version
5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Proverbs 3:5-6; John 13:34-35; Acts 1:8
Acts-celerater
7/28/20 6:52 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic