Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

A moment of thoughtful honesty
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Dave Dorsey
roughridercog wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:
This thread is veering radically off topic from roughrider's original post. Let's get back on target.

Honestly, if I'd thought it would have denigrated like this, I wouldn't have made the original post.

I understand. I am sorry.

I emailed Doyle this afternoon after hearing privately from yet another person about this type of discourse. If you feel it appropriate, perhaps you would want to contact him too.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/22/20 8:46 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
There's certainly nothing wrong with your post, Rough. Good for you for speaking out on this. Words matter!

My parents used the N* word extensively when I was growing up. But they also taught me that the word itself does not refer to a race, but rather to a low class of person.

My parents also taught me to love everyone the same, and to treat others with kindness and respect, no matter who they were. I guess the only explanation for the disparity is that it was a common Southern phrase that no one (white) thought much about 40 years ago. However, I never felt comfortable with that word and felt inherently that it was wrong to use it.

Thank God we are finally making some progress!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/22/20 9:14 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Carolyn Smith wrote:
There's certainly nothing wrong with your post, Rough. Good for you for speaking out on this. Words matter!

My parents used the N* word extensively when I was growing up. But they also taught me that the word itself does not refer to a race, but rather to a low class of person.

My parents also taught me to love everyone the same, and to treat others with kindness and respect, no matter who they were. I guess the only explanation for the disparity is that it was a common Southern phrase that no one (white) thought much about 40 years ago. However, I never felt comfortable with that word and felt inherently that it was wrong to use it.

I agree that his post was not wrong. And I really appreciated your post above. But let's face it. Posts like his and others have come about as a result of the riots surrounding the Floyd killing. A grand tendency has arisen among well meaning white Christians to virtue signal and to heap unnecessary guilt on themselves over the condition of the black community. I feel compelled to try to snap people out of this needless guilt.
6/22/20 9:25 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

I agree that his post was not wrong. And I really appreciated your post above. But let's face it. Posts like his and others have come about as a result of the riots surrounding the Floyd killing. A grand tendency has arisen among well meaning white Christians to virtue signal and to heap unnecessary guilt on themselves over the condition of the black community. I feel compelled to try to snap people out of this needless guilt.

My compassion for the black community is not inspired by guilt, but for my black brothers and sisters who are coming forward and telling us of all the awful things that have happened to them simply because they happen to be black. When my brothers and sisters tell me they are hurting, it's my responsibility to embrace them and comfort them and pray for them.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/22/20 9:49 pm

Post Cojak
Carolyn Smith wrote:
When my brothers and sisters tell me they are hurting, it's my responsibility to embrace them and comfort them and pray for them.

That and mostly that, not the protests or the riots, but my friends who work 40+ hours week and get thrown in with rioters. Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/22/20 10:10 pm

Post Cojak
This post of RR's was a personal confession, which many white folk my age KNOW to be a fact. He did not use qualifiers, he said 'ME'. And I appreciate it. Cool
6/22/20 10:15 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Carolyn Smith wrote:
My compassion for the black community is not inspired by guilt, but for my black brothers and sisters who are coming forward and telling us of all the awful things that have happened to them simply because they happen to be black. When my brothers and sisters tell me they are hurting, it's my responsibility to embrace them and comfort them and pray for them.

Amen, Carolyn.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/23/20 7:48 am

Post Eddie Robbins
Thank you, RR. That was heart-felt. This is a great time for all of us to check our hearts. Acts-pert Poster
6/23/20 7:49 pm

Post Cojak
The post reminds me of the quote, 'Change the world one life at a time, starting with ME!'

Making the net too big at times loses the best catch. Crying or Very sad
6/24/20 9:37 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic