Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Man who filmed Arbery shooting: Travis McMichaels shot him 3 times, then made racial slurs (L)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Resident Skeptic
The COG Apostle wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Dow Moses wrote:
Citizen arrest for jogging while black. He was chased like an animal. I’m sure scared for his life and rightfully so. I’m sure He believed his only hope was to fight for his life. No proof that he did anything wrong accept jogging around racist people.

False narrative. Straw man argument.

Always.

Are black conservatives always taking the side of racists? Work on your discernment. Stop being a lemming.
6/6/20 9:27 am

Post It sounds like they ARE racist...but Aaron Scott
But was it a RACIST killing?

There is a difference. For instance, if a white guy breaks into a KKK member's house and tries to steal something or harm his family, do you suppose that the KKK member would refrain from shooting because the guy is white?

No. He would shoot regardless of the color.

My point is not that killing was justified. IT WAS NOT. Why? Because it was not their place to place themselves in that situation in a non-life-threatening matter. Had the guy been suspected of killing someone, etc., then, yes, that would be different.

The men did not, I think, intend to kill, but by interjecting themselves, the embarked on a collision course.

They may have been racists. They certainly are not the sort of people I would want in my neighborhood. But did they kill BECAUSE they were racists? I doubt it. I think they killed because they were idiots who wanted to play cowboy.

"But...but the guy was BLACK." Yes. And if someone is in my neighborhood that I either don't know or suspect of crime (due to an earlier encounter with a black guy), I'm going to keep a closer watch.

I am one of the few that does not believe that profiling is wrong. It is a legitimate way of narrowing the field. I mean, are we so moronic as to think that a Saudi national male under 30 is no more likely than a Norwegian grandmother of 80 to set off a bomb? How foolish we become in our efforts to not offend anyone.

If you live, as I do, in a very mixed neighborhood, you don't think twice about seeing blacks on the street--a number of whom I am friends with. But if I lived in an all-white neighborhood, yeah, I'm gonna notice. I shouldn't interject myself, but I would likely be on alert.

When you see a soccer mom driving a Lexus in Harlem, driving the streets slowly, is she just cruising around...or is she on the prowl for drugs? I'm going with the latter.

The issue is not whether it was racially motivated. We simply don't know (at this point). Are those guys racists? Probably. But the real issue is, without the necessity to protect life, they pushed into a situation that took a life. And that IS a tragedy.

ONE LAST POINT....

If they had all--killers and Arbery--been in church, where they should have been, none of this would likely have happened, since it took place a 1:00 p.m., or so. Further, they might have gotten a little help at church, since from their language, it is clear that the McMichaels are almost certainly unsaved.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/6/20 12:03 pm

Post Re: It sounds like they ARE racist...but Resident Skeptic
Aaron Scott wrote:

There is a difference. For instance, if a white guy breaks into a KKK member's house and tries to steal something or harm his family, do you suppose that the KKK member would refrain from shooting because the guy is white?

My point is not that killing was justified. IT WAS NOT. Why? Because it was not their place to place themselves in that situation in a non-life-threatening matter. Had the guy been suspected of killing someone, etc., then, yes, that would be different.

The men did not, I think, intend to kill, but by interjecting themselves, the embarked on a collision course.

They may have been racists. They certainly are not the sort of people I would want in my neighborhood. But did they kill BECAUSE they were racists? I doubt it. I think they killed because they were idiots who wanted to play cowboy.

"But...but the guy was BLACK." Yes. And if someone is in my neighborhood that I either don't know or suspect of crime (due to an earlier encounter with a black guy), I'm going to keep a closer watch.

I am one of the few that does not believe that profiling is wrong. It is a legitimate way of narrowing the field. I mean, are we so moronic as to think that a Saudi national male under 30 is no more likely than a Norwegian grandmother of 80 to set off a bomb? How foolish we become in our efforts to not offend anyone.

If you live, as I do, in a very mixed neighborhood, you don't think twice about seeing blacks on the street--a number of whom I am friends with. But if I lived in an all-white neighborhood, yeah, I'm gonna notice. I shouldn't interject myself, but I would likely be on alert.

When you see a soccer mom driving a Lexus in Harlem, driving the streets slowly, is she just cruising around...or is she on the prowl for drugs? I'm going with the latter.

The issue is not whether it was racially motivated. We simply don't know (at this point). Are those guys racists? Probably. But the real issue is, without the necessity to protect life, they pushed into a situation that took a life. And that IS a tragedy.

ONE LAST POINT....

If they had all--killers and Arbery--been in church, where they should have been, none of this would likely have happened, since it took place a 1:00 p.m., or so. Further, they might have gotten a little help at church, since from their language, it is clear that the McMichaels are almost certainly unsaved.

I appreciated you at least not emphatically stating that they are racists. Your post was logical and analytical. Excellent. The only suggestion I might have would be to substitute the word "racist" with the word "bigoted" instead. I am sure people who truly want to get along with other races and embrace egalitarian principles might still harbor some bigotry, and these Georgia men might be examples of this. .
6/6/20 1:08 pm

Post Re: It sounds like they ARE racist...but skinnybishop
Aaron Scott wrote:

ONE LAST POINT....

What you wrote is true, but nobody is going to accept it.

For years, we have been told, "If you see something, say something". If something looks wrong, or out of place, we are supposed to report it. I'm not sure how that can be accomplished, in many situations, without an accompanying accusation of racism.

A random black man walking across my front yard is suspicious, but not just because he's black. The random is suspicious, not the race.
6/8/20 9:54 am

Post Re: It sounds like they ARE racist...but Resident Skeptic
skinnybishop wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

ONE LAST POINT....

What you wrote is true, but nobody is going to accept it.

For years, we have been told, "If you see something, say something". If something looks wrong, or out of place, we are supposed to report it. I'm not sure how that can be accomplished, in many situations, without an accompanying accusation of racism.

A random black man walking across my front yard is suspicious, but not just because he's black. The random is suspicious, not the race.

COG Apostle in 5.4,3,2...........
6/8/20 10:08 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic