Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Is Dave Wilkerson a false prophet? He had a prophecy that did

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Is Dave Wilkerson a false prophet? He had a prophecy that did caseyleejones
not come to pass.

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/testing-david-wilkersons-prophecy

I even remember DW talking and addressing it after the fact and after it did not come to pass.

Is this grounds for labeling him a false prophet?
Acts-perienced Poster
5/9/20 11:31 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Depends whether or not he repented and moved forward with greater discernment and wisdom -- which I'd be willing to bet my house that he did, since one can find a handful of instances across decades of ministry and prophecy in the case of Wilkerson, rather than a handful of instances per week in the case of many of today's charismatic luminaries.

What an insult it would be to compare Wilkerson to folks like Shawn Bolz, Todd White, Ryan LaStrange, Patricia King, etc.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/9/20 11:56 am

Post Re: Is Dave Wilkerson a false prophet? He had a prophecy that did Resident Skeptic
caseyleejones wrote:
not come to pass.

I even remember DW talking and addressing it after the fact and after it did not come to pass.

Wilkerson often rejected the notion that was a prophet. And we all miss the voice of God at least once in our lives. I do not see the big deal.
5/9/20 1:16 pm

Post Chicago27
He was not a prophet. Friendly Face
5/9/20 1:19 pm

Post Dr.Acts
I asked not long ago if anyone else heard of David Wilkerson’s prophecy about our organization given in Time Square Church some decade ago, but was quickly silenced by the establishment not to be poking about
Friendly Face
5/9/20 5:25 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Dr.Acts wrote:
I asked not long ago if anyone else heard of David Wilkerson’s prophecy about our organization given in Time Square Church some decade ago, but was quickly silenced by the establishment not to be poking about

Was it a prediction or a "thus saith the Lord?"
5/9/20 5:42 pm

Post Dr.Acts
It was a prediction in a very close circle and closely resembled his PTL one
Sorry I don't have first hand information on this one but seems important
Friendly Face
5/9/20 7:56 pm

Post Re: Is Dave Wilkerson a false prophet? He had a prophecy that did Carolyn Smith
Resident Skeptic wrote:
caseyleejones wrote:
not come to pass.

Wilkerson often rejected the notion that was a prophet. And we all miss the voice of God at least once in our lives. I do not see the big deal.

Interesting that his "missing the voice of God" is an exception other prophets are not allowed.

David Wilkerson did not see himself as a prophet, but I think given the visions God showed him and the way he spoke to our nation definitely made him a prophetic voice to America.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/9/20 10:37 pm

Post Chicago27
The one “prophecy” that was going around on social media was never said by him. That’s another problem. People see something and if it fits into their narrative, they take it as gospel. Wilkerson is being used by people. That’s not his fault. We live in a social media, meme filled world with no truth. Friendly Face
5/10/20 7:14 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Chicago27 wrote:
The one “prophecy” that was going around on social media was never said by him. That’s another problem. People see something and if it fits into their narrative, they take it as gospel. Wilkerson is being used by people. That’s not his fault. We live in a social media, meme filled world with no truth.

That's not the one sited in the original post.
5/10/20 11:46 am

Post Carolyn is correct, that is not the one. caseyleejones
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Chicago27 wrote:
The one “prophecy” that was going around on social media was never said by him. That’s another problem. People see something and if it fits into their narrative, they take it as gospel. Wilkerson is being used by people. That’s not his fault. We live in a social media, meme filled world with no truth.

That's not the one sited in the original post.

I remember when DW made the word public. He came back some time later and addressed it later.

By the way, I think DW was a man of God. But, guess what, he missed it.
Acts-perienced Poster
5/10/20 1:42 pm

Post UncleJD
He also said that he saw demons manipulating Mylon Lefevre concerts. I think he was a good and acomplished minister, who like everyone else, wasn't perfect. I also do not believe that he prophesied the current pandemic as attributed to him. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
5/11/20 10:03 am

Post LOL...I remember that.... caseyleejones
UncleJD wrote:
He also said that he saw demons manipulating Mylon Lefevre concerts. I think he was a good and acomplished minister, who like everyone else, wasn't perfect. I also do not believe that he prophesied the current pandemic as attributed to him.
Acts-perienced Poster
5/11/20 12:14 pm

Post Da Sheik
I feel like every message I’ve ever read or heard from Times Square Church has been a somber message of warning or judgment. Granted, I don’t follow their ministry so perhaps I’ve seen a very limited sample.

I do believe God used DW to reach many souls!
Acts Enthusiast
5/12/20 7:08 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Da Sheik wrote:
I feel like every message I’ve ever read or heard from Times Square Church has been a somber message of warning or judgment. Granted, I don’t follow their ministry so perhaps I’ve seen a very limited sample.

Yep. Very, very different than the "you will prosper and be very successful!" messages of many of today's charismatic profits. I mean prophets.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/12/20 8:09 am

Post Three thoughts.... Aaron Scott
1. David Wilkerson would at times prophesy, but did not consider himself a prophet. Just as someone might preach a sermon every now and then, but not consider themselves a preacher (due to them not feeling it is their calling).

2. Yes, DW prophesied one time along the lines of some massive disaster that was going to hit America. If I recall correctly, he said that there would be a thousand fires burning in New York City. When this did not happen after a suitable period of time, he was a good enough man to say that he had underestimated the grace of God--i.e., that God was more long-suffering than he, David Wilkerson, had realized.

3. Yes, he said those things about Mylon LeFevre. And because Mylon felt that Wilkerson was a man of God, I seem to recall that Mylon stood down after that. I do not for a minute believe that there were demons doing all of that stuff. At the same time, I don't dismiss that David Wilkerson felt there were. DW was such an adversary of contemporary Christian music (or rock gospel, I guess you could say) that I believe his emotional/visceral response to the concert made him feel like the Spirit of God was revealing these things to him. To Mylon's credit, he did not clap back...in fact, I think he thought Wilkerson might actually have seen such things and Mylon wanted no part of it (I think Mylon may have been addicted to pain killers at the time, too...so he might have felt such guilt that he thought Wilkerson was right).

Wilkerson was a man of God. I believe Mylon was/is too--although he had some rough edges, I imagine. Being a Church of God boy, you know that Mylon respects things of the Spirit.

I know that if we have strong feeling about something, it can be conflated with what the Holy Ghost is speaking to us. For instance, as I fasted and prayed about getting married (she was beautiful, but I was 34 and she was 21--I had lived a long time as free as the wind...and I also didn't want to lose my virginity status, since the 144,000 were virgins!), I felt nervous, but I was able to discern that that was to be expected, and it was not the Holy Spirit trying to check me. So far, nearly 24 years later, it seems I was right.

I don't think a person should be dismissed because they got something wrong. Why do we suppose a person can speak in tongues out of order, but can then speak in tongues correctly the next service...but someone who prophesies incorrectly cannot be trusted again?

If someone USES "prophesying" to try to intimidate or manipulate, then, yes, they are banned. But if it seems sincere, and is just a case of someone with a heart for God "missing it," I take the approach that they are having to learn to follow the Spirit.

Just my two cents...about three things
5/12/20 3:44 pm

Post revuriah
Da Sheik wrote:

DW’s successor, Pastor Carter Conlon, just stepped down himself. He is a godly man that does not mince words, albeit not quite in the same vein as DW. Always an encourager, he still called God’s people to a life of holiness.

The new senior pastor, Tim Dilena, was a spiritual son of DW. He pastored in one of the worst areas of Detroit, Highland Park, in an old XXX movie theater that I think was bought by TCS. That church is still going strong. TD is a man of God, but totally not DW, nor CC. I’ve been blessed by his ministry over the past 20 years, from Detroit, to Brooklyn Tabernacle, to Our Savior’s Church, Lafayette, LA, where he served as a campus pastor (his campus was several thousand strong). I’m excited for TSC.

Revuriah's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Richard/1226257444

Jeffrey David Richard's Myspace Music
www.myspace.com/547856946
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
5/12/20 7:43 pm

Post Q. How do we know: Ronald
that the prophecies "will not" come to pass? Friendly Face
5/15/20 8:57 pm

Post Re: Q. How do we know: Preacher777
[quote="Ronald"]that the prophecies "will not" come to pass?[/quote]

Good point. If a prophecy is given without a timeline or a specific way to judge when such as who will win the next election can we judge it as false? I do not know the specifics of what is being questioned with David Wilkerson. We do know that Joel and many other prophets in the Bible could have been labeled as false because Joel never saw the outpouring of the Holy Spirit in his lifetime.
Friendly Face
5/16/20 7:08 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic