Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

COG minister facing COVID threat in critical condition
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post COG minister facing COVID threat in critical condition Rafael D Martinez
( From my Facebook page to praying people who are here .. )

In the spring of 1990, at one of the lowest points of my life, I became severely ill with the flu and for about almost a week, I was flat on my back in my dorm room at Lee College in Cleveland, Tennessee. As if that wasn't enough. I didn't eat for four days and with the fever I had I was delirious. I was in really bad shape, no insurance and I had no family or girlfriend to call on as I lay burning and aching, sweating and seriously needing help.

It was then I found out to what depth the friendship I had with my brother Timothy Scott White was to go. We'd been friends around the campus, in ministry, on our outreaches and a summer mission trip to Providence, and we were pretty close. But Tim's brotherhood reached new depths. He brought food to my room. He got me to the nurse and he didn't repeat what I was raving about in my feverish delirium. He prayed for me. He took care of me and made sure I pulled through.

Tim again proved what the word "brother" really means. I have never forgotten that. Quite frankly, I've known few who have sought to live and show Christ in them than my friend Tim. I'm thankful for his example.

And now it tears me up that he is now fighting for his life in a Minnesota hospital on a respirator, filled with COVID-19 viral molecules seeking to smother his lifebreath as it is in so many others across our nation. I was shocked to hear today of his plight. I knew he'd been exposed and had been quarantined for the virus, but after speaking with him 3 weeks ago, didn't believe it would stalk him but it has.

I cannot be there and they wouldn't let me in there if I could .. but I know a God that can heal who is holding his life in His hands, and I'm grateful for his family and his work friends who are rallying to care for him. I am praying and trusting that our Lord will get him through this. I am praying that his daughters will finally realize what an awesome man and father he has always been to them no matter what they've been told "about" him. And I'm so thankful for his workplace friends that are standing with him to get his home fixed up, his kittens fed and his life carefully monitored. I am believing God for His healing. I hope you'll join me, those who know him and those who don't.

To my Crossroads family who took the prayer request by phone tonight, THANK YOU.

Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? Galatians 4:16

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
4/16/20 7:53 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Praying. Thank you for sharing this here. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/16/20 8:44 am

Post Patrick Harris
Praying for him now. Acts Enthusiast
4/16/20 9:25 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Praying!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/16/20 10:15 am

Post SCFIRE
Praying for your friend for a Miracle.
4/16/20 10:23 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
🙏 [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/16/20 12:22 pm

Post He has worsened Rafael D Martinez
He has now on dialysis. All that can be done is being done per his family. Thank you for praying for Tim. He's a humble Georgia boy who God is using in a correctional facility in Minnesota.

I am trusting God still has much for him to do here .. and his girls need a daddy.

These are trying times. Everyone's trying something and getting caught. The Church Lady, 1987
Acts-dicted
4/16/20 12:24 pm

Post Re: He has worsened Carolyn Smith
Rafael D Martinez wrote:
He has now on dialysis. All that can be done is being done per his family. Thank you for praying for Tim. He's a humble Georgia boy who God is using in a correctional facility in Minnesota.

I am trusting God still has much for him to do here .. and his girls need a daddy.

That is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes they will do dialysis as a temporary measure to relieve the stress his kidneys are under. This will keep his kidneys from failing and free his body of the toxins. It does not necessarily mean he will have to continue dialysis once he improves.
4/16/20 2:21 pm

Post UPDATE Re: He has worsened Rafael D Martinez
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Rafael D Martinez wrote:

That is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes they will do dialysis as a temporary measure to relieve the stress his kidneys are under. This will keep his kidneys from failing and free his body of the toxins. It does not necessarily mean he will have to continue dialysis once he improves.

That's true. Still, dialysis is a serious development. It's not a death sentence, we agree, but its known that going on dialysis for many COVID patients can be prelude to ongoing besetting renal issues. It is necessary, we know, in many instances to save lives. Trust me, I'm glad they've been on it.

We just got an update now

"He had a good night last night. He's not out of the woods, but his labs are looking better. Beginning to respond to treatments. Yesterday was scary bad. Today is a new day. Thanks for the prayers! Keep em coming."

Acts-dicted
4/16/20 7:57 pm

Post Cojak
Rafe, thanks for relating that experience and the example of true brotherly love. Prayers here my friend GOD is good and he is in his hands. Everyone needs a friend like that, or WE need to be that friend.
Love to you my brother and Thanks again. Prayers continue.... Idea
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/16/20 8:32 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Glad to hear there was some improvement. Praise God!
4/16/20 9:43 pm

Post Preacher777
Rafael, praying fro your friend Tim. Friendly Face
4/17/20 6:12 am

Post Dean Steenburgh
Praying here in California for this dear brother's full recovery.
Grateful for the updates Raf.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/17/20 6:20 pm

Post Such an amazing testimony.... caseyleejones
Read it several times..... Acts-perienced Poster
4/17/20 6:33 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Continuing to pray, Raf. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/17/20 7:08 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Praying in Summerville.

www.spwc.church
4/18/20 11:10 am

Post Darrell Garrett
The latest update on Tim. The past 2 days he had shown improvement was still considered to be in serious condition. The last update, 15 minutes ago was:
Tim continues to be stable (no movement up or down)
They are able to keep him at the desired 60% oxygen level
They tried increasing the volume of air but he's not yet ready, will try tomorrow
Current goals:
Increase the volume of air to his lungs
Enough lung improvement so he can remain on his back
They're putting him on continual dialysis to better help keep the fluid levels low.
4/18/20 1:28 pm

Post Praying spartanfan
I am praying for Tim! Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
4/19/20 8:03 am

Post Re: COG minister facing COVID threat in critical condition Link
Good to 'see' you Rafael,

That is an encouraging testimony. We should do this sort of stuff for each other. But it would be hard to be single and not have any relatives around, and for me at least, it would feel really uncomfortable to ask for help. But an illness that might not be that big of a deal might kill someone if they are left alone.

I know what it is like to be sick in a strange land. I was glad in a couple of places I got sick in Indonesia a couple of times that the maids helped me out a big. A bowl of rice with soy sauce can really help. I remembered thinking what it would be like if I had no one at all to help me. It would feel really weird to call someone to come take care of you, who is not family. If they do, you feel like they are family.

My wife and I both rented rooms in homes when we were dating. I remember as we were moving a little closer to engagement, she called me at some really early hour, 4 AM or something like that, and told me she was sick. I went to the store, got medicine, and dropped it off for her and checked on her. It felt like something family would do, and I remember thinking about that as I was considering marriage.

The big problem there is typically digestive issues. They even combine the words diarrhea and vomiting into one word, and they aren't shy about sharing what ailments they had. Last night, or the wee hours of the morning, my wife and I were ministering on line, until 2 something in the morning, to people in Indonesia. One of her videos went viral. One woman told about how my wife had prayed for her and she'd been healed, and described her digestive issues right there with a level of detail I found odd right there in the post for all to see. I thought it was odd and pointed at the words hoping my wife would not read them out loud when she read the testimony. She didn't.

It's a good thing you made it through.

How can we encourage people in our church communities to make these kind of needs known and be willing to help? I can't think of any singles I know who live alone right now during the current virus outbreak. Elderly singles, even young singles, and elderly couples are probably the most vulnerable to falling through the cracks when it comes to things like this. I check up on my parents from time to time by phone to make sure they are okay.

Are any of your churches doing anything to check up on people who don't have families?
4/19/20 12:06 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
April 19, 2020 - Tim Continues to Slowly Show Improvement

While still critical, Tim continues to slowly show improvement​!​

Last week was focused on helping keep him alive
This week the focus is on helping him recover and not backslide
They are going to try keeping him on his back overnight
They are going to try increasing the volume of air again​​
There was an issue getting ​​​​dialysis to work yesterday, they'll adjust that today
Yesterday was the 4th and last dose of the study hormone. The ​study ​doctor will keep calling every day he's in the hospital
4/19/20 7:37 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic