Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Walmart's Sardine Style Social Distancing

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Walmart's Sardine Style Social Distancing Link
I went to Walmart a little while back. They had shorted store hours and had shut down two exists. This is a busy Walmart, so there is a line to get in. They had a bunch of workers in the front telling people to stand six feet apart. I asked why they closed the exits. I'd parked on the other side to fill my grill gas tank. Someone said they had us doing this to stand 6 feet apart. That was so dumb of an answer, I told her when the exits are open, I hardly ever get 10 feet apart. It did not make sense to put 30 people together waiting 6 feet apart for health reasons.

Talking to someone in the store, I found out it was really for security reasons. That was pretty obvious because they wouldn't let someone in the store until someone else had cleared the metal detector. One of the workers said that. Someone had hid in this Walmart and tried to steal stuff at night. They are probably worried about theft and maybe even looting.

But I don't appreciate their insulting my intelligence by telling me they cram us into one entrance for social distancing purposes, and I don't appreciate being made to stand close to other people when there is a pandemic going on, either. If they keep the store open 24 hours, it would be better for not spreading the disease since fewer people could be in the store at the same time.

Are other Walmarts doing this? What about other stores? Have you noticed any practices during COVID-19 lockdown that is worse at spreading disease than their normal practices?

The neighbor across the street said he had an app that notified him of a Publix that had toilet paper, so his wife went down there and got some. Are there still shortages? Maybe the fourth wave of hoarders haven't got theirs yet, or toilet paper factory workers have been deemed nonessential.

I haven't been shopping in about a week, so I don't know what it is like now. My wife said the Lord told her to stock up and buy certain things before the stocks got low in the store, so we have toilet paper, a couple of freezers, meat, etc. I planted a couple of little garden spots and some mushroom spawn.
4/14/20 11:34 pm

Post Patrick Harris
Per Walmart they are closing off certain entrances and exits to control how many people are in the store are one time. They only allow a set amount of people in the store based on the stores square footage.
They are not open 24 hours so that the night crew can stock, because of the heavier shopping going on and to do a better job of cleaning the store before it opens in the morning.
Everyone of the WM's in my area are doing this.

If you are standing 6ft apart while you are in line, that meets the social distancing guidelines.
Acts Enthusiast
4/15/20 8:33 am

Post FLRon
The Walmart nearest to me has closed all doors except for two. You can no longer enter through the garden center or the pharmacy side.

They only have one cashier working so nearly everyone has to use self checkout, which I much prefer anyway. They were supposed to implement one way aisles and plexiglass at the checkout but neither of those have happened.

They do count customers as they enter, but aside from floor markings there is no real effort to enforce social distancing.

Most grocery stores here have adopted an 8 to 8 schedule, with Tuesday and Wednesday from 7-8 designated as senior only shopping time.

They were making no effort to clean the cart handles. When I asked them why they said it was because they had no cleaning solution. When I told them that was unacceptable the lady said “go talk to management”.

OK then!
4/15/20 8:32 pm

Post Link
FLRon wrote:

They were making no effort to clean the cart handles. When I asked them why they said it was because they had no cleaning solution. When I told them that was unacceptable the lady said “go talk to management”.

OK then!

That's a lot of cart handles. If they have lower numbers of workers in stores, which they may to cut costs with the smaller numbers of customers in the store at a time, that may be too much for them.

It's not part of their normal service, anyway. Back when I was shopping before the stay at home orders, it was hit or miss whether they had their normal sanitation wipes. Wiping cart handles has been DIY at Walmart for a long time.
4/16/20 11:23 am

Post Link
Patrick Harris wrote:
Per Walmart they are closing off certain entrances and exits to control how many people are in the store are one time. They only allow a set amount of people in the store based on the stores square footage.
They are not open 24 hours so that the night crew can stock, because of the heavier shopping going on and to do a better job of cleaning the store before it opens in the morning.
Everyone of the WM's in my area are doing this.

If you are standing 6ft apart while you are in line, that meets the social distancing guidelines.

Sure it meets the guidelines, but pre-Covid, the only time I had to stand in the same space breathing the same air a few feet away from other people at Walmart was in the checkout or customer service lines. My Walmart is busy. Some people don't really stand 6 feet apart, but they make us stand a lot longer breathing the same air a lot more than under normal conditions.

I wonder if they are selling more. If the ration toilet paper and other stuff that is hard to get, they may not be making up for the shorter hours with higher volume. Of course, if they just ration toilet paper and not chicken and bread they might.

I am thinking of going to the store to get some green vegetables, some bread, and a few other items. The vegetables I planted aren't big enough to start harvesting. Otherwise, we are stocked up. If the vegetables and mushrooms come in, we should be okay for a little while for food.
4/16/20 11:57 am

Post FLRon
Link wrote:
FLRon wrote:

OK then!

That's a lot of cart handles. If they have lower numbers of workers in stores, which they may to cut costs with the smaller numbers of customers in the store at a time, that may be too much for them.

It's not part of their normal service, anyway. Back when I was shopping before the stay at home orders, it was hit or miss whether they had their normal sanitation wipes. Wiping cart handles has been DIY at Walmart for a long time.

I have no problem with that. If Walmart wants me to wipe THEIR CART HANDLES, then they must provide me the materials to do so. That is THEIR responsibility, not mine. If they want me to shop there and use their carts, provide the necessary PPE to make it safe for me to do so. That should be a reasonable request, particularly under the current health scare.

That was the point I was making to their employee: you have a responsibility to your customers to provide a safe shopping environment.
4/16/20 4:40 pm

Post Link
[quote="FLRon"][quote="Link"]
FLRon wrote:

I have no problem with that. If Walmart wants me to wipe THEIR CART HANDLES, then they must provide me the materials to do so. That is THEIR responsibility, not mine. If they want me to shop there and use their carts, provide the necessary PPE to make it safe for me to do so. That should be a reasonable request, particularly under the current health scare.

That was the point I was making to their employee: you have a responsibility to your customers to provide a safe shopping environment.

They may run out of wipes quickly and have difficulty keeping up. If they break into the 'for customer' supply, then they have fewer products to sell to customers, who also need them, and who will pay them.

You don't have to have a wiped cart handle. You can just not touch your face and wash your hands later. You can also wear gloves and take them off when you are done, if they have any to sell you. The cart wiping demands seem a little 'entitled' to me. And it's not like most people are going to stop shopping over it.

I just wish they would not make their environment less safe for us, by shortening the hours and not letting us shop at 2 AM when no one is there when we choose, and by cramming everyone into one entrance and making us stand closer to people to get in than we normally would, even if it is 6 ft. apart, if people actually observe that.

I recently went to Walmart. I did not see any wipes, but I got an extra portion of the alcohol solution for our hands and rubbed the cart handles down. I forgot my gloves in the car, but I washed my hands before leaving the store. But then I touched the propane tank handle after the employee, so I washed my hands at home.

I had asked my wife to get me a bandana a while back. Before going to Walmart, I asked her to give it to me. She had several feminine looking scarf thingies, and a doily. I ended up using this middle eastern headdress we had gotten somewhere. I suspect no one recognized it. But it felt funny going into a store wearing an Arab mask over my face. I also felt like saying to an employee in a harsh voice. "Give me all your toilet paper and chicken now! Put them into the cart and no one will get hurt!" You know... as a joke. I resisted the urge.

4/17/20 2:12 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic