Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Does God Ever Cause Illness

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Does God Ever Cause Illness Link
I think we need to get our theology right about illness. There is this idea that is really common with WOFers and Bethel, Redding folks that God never causes disease. This idea was common in early Pentecostalism, but it hasn't really entrenched itself as much in that movement, unlike some of these others, because of the tendency of Pentecostals to read the whole Bible.

Ephesians 15:26
And said, If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee.

Notice that the LORD takes credit for putting the diseases upon the Egyptians.

Here is another scripture we must consider.

Exodus 4:11
11 And the Lord said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the Lord?

The position that God never caused any illness to come on anyone, even the wicked in rebellion against Him, is clearly unbiblical. God often uses agents to do things. He has angels and principalities do things. He uses humans to do things. It's His way to work through others, at least in many cases. If He used an angel to strike the Egyptians with the plague of the firstborn, that doesn't mean that He doesn't get credit.

Kenneth Hagin had this idea that God just 'allowed' bad stuff, as in calamities, to happen, and didn't cause it. He said that some feature of the Hebrew could be interpreted as Hebrew rather than caused, but it was pretty clear he didn't know Hebrew and hadn't really studied to determine if all relevant verses fell into the category he described or whether the argument made sense in context.

Is there any way to say that God 'allowed' the deaths of the Egyptians in this case?

Exodus 15
9 The enemy said, I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil; my lust shall be satisfied upon them; I will draw my sword, my hand shall destroy them.
10 Thou didst blow with thy wind, the sea covered them: they sank as lead in the mighty waters.

Whether He blew the wind and covered the Egyptian army or we want to take the ridiculous interpretation that He allowed Himself to blow the wind, He did it.

One man said all sickness is of the Devil because of this verse:

Acts 10:38
How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

But this verse doesn't say that the Devil caused all sickness or whether Satan or a satan sometimes causes sickness at God's direction. It says Jesus went around doing good and healing all that were oppressed of the devil.

As Christians, we need to believe the whole Bible, and accept the portrayals of God as shown in scripture.

I dialogued briefly with someone from Bethel, a man with leg lengthening videos who went to their miracle school who seemed to have some anger issues. He was angry at disease. He held to the position that all sicknesses came from the Devil and not God. I pointed out Paul declaring Elymas blind. He was inclined to believe Paul was wrong about that. The passage says he was full of the Holy Ghost when he said it. I pointed out an angel struck Herod and he died after the incident where the people praised him as if he were a god. He thought the angel might have been at fault, and questioned the authority of scripture. I pointed out that he was putting the theories above the word of God, to the point where he would question the Bible over them.

He also pointed to a verse in II Corinthians about God reconciling the world to himself to support the idea that God does not judge nations until the end of the age. The verse did not say that, and universalists use that verse as well. I've heard the idea of God not judging nations from some folks I know who went to Bethel, Redding.

But these ideas had roots in Pentecostalism. I recall reading some of John G. Lake's ideas about healing. Hagin as in the A/G for a while. Reading the Bible moderates a lot of Pentecostals when it comes to issues like this. There is a lot of teaching out of the Old Testament. Some of the preachers in the larger Pentecostal or Charismatic movement hardly touch the Old Testament unless there are verses about health or healing or some well-known Bible story. Some of these opinions get entrenched in movements because there is little emphasis on the authority of scripture, light treatment of the Bible in the teaching, and people in the movements, particularly their leaders, not reading through scripture. Or maybe they read but somehow cannot perceive what the words on the page say.

God revealed in the Old Testament scriptures is God. And the book of Revelation and other books of the New Testament do not fit well with some of the views of God promoted by some of the preachers in the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements.

Last edited by Link on 4/8/20 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-perienced Poster
4/6/20 12:39 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Good and thorough post. Revelation 2:22 also. And a couple of others I will come back to add later. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/6/20 12:49 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Another one - Isaiah 45:7 "I form light and create darkness; I make well-being and create calamity; I am the LORD, who does all these things."

Now, this is one verse and it exists in a proper historical context. It must be properly exegeted and understood. But nevertheless, it is holy Scripture and we must wrestle with it. Folks who would defend WOF theology as "just reading the plain meaning of Scripture" must acknowledge and wrestle with this verse.

This is a good thread. I hope it will get some good interaction.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/7/20 5:39 am

Post Carolyn Smith
There was a thread elsewhere discussing if the corona virus was from God or the devil, and I was amazed at some of the responses. Some were adamant that God does not cause sickness or calamity. I'm not saying God caused the corona virus, but He allowed it, and He can certainly use it for His purpose.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/7/20 7:51 pm

Post Da Sheik
In order to be consistent, the WoF proponents must of necessity believe that God never uses sickness for His glory. If Jesus were to send letters to the churches today as He did in Revelation, I have no doubt He would sharply condemn the teachings of WoF just like He did the teachings of Jezebel, etc. Acts Enthusiast
4/8/20 8:42 am

Post Who says this? caseyleejones
?
Da Sheik wrote:
In order to be consistent, the WoF proponents must of necessity believe that God never uses sickness for His glory. If Jesus were to send letters to the churches today as He did in Revelation, I have no doubt He would sharply condemn the teachings of WoF just like He did the teachings of Jezebel, etc.

I've heard just the opposite. I have heard them say how God will take bad situations and turn them around for his Glory.

DS, do you believe God sends sickness upon his children to bring them closer? I have never gotten close to God in sickness. He sent Jesus to do that.

Do you desire sickness upon your children? I don't. I find it difficult that I am more merciful than God.

Did Jesus even once refuse to heal someone who came to him?

If I question God in this area, I have to question him in regards to salvation. If I truly embrace as some of you do that God wills some to be sick, then I would have to embrace the real possibility that some of you are going to hell. Salvation then becomes an unknown. I also think it bad to build theology based on OT. God didn't seem so nice then...but Jesus changed everything.
Acts-perienced Poster
4/8/20 9:05 am

Post Da Sheik... Aaron Scott
Da Sheik wrote:
In order to be consistent, the WoF proponents must of necessity believe that God never uses sickness for His glory. If Jesus were to send letters to the churches today as He did in Revelation, I have no doubt He would sharply condemn the teachings of WoF just like He did the teachings of Jezebel, etc.

My brother, I am not WOF. But I would have to think that WOF proponents would accept that, while God does not want anyone to be sick, He nevertheless works all things to our good...and so would use sickness for His glory in that way.

Quote:
In John 9, the following conversation takes place....

1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

Notice, that Jesus didn't say that God made the man sick. It could have been simply the vicissitudes of life, the fallen nature of the world, that made the man sick...but God would still use it for His glory.

I believe a person can get sick by getting out from under the covering of God will and favor.

I believe a person can get sick because they tempt God (e.g., go hang around people with coronavirus).

I believe a person can get sick "just because" we are fallen humans in a fallen world.

AND YET...we don't find a SINGLE instance of Jesus refusing to heal someone because it was God's will that that person be sick.

In our churches, if we pray for 20 folks and two get healed, but the rest don't...we claim that the healings came because of OUR faith...but the lack of healing came from God's will? HOW CONVENIENT!

It could be that the preacher didn't do ANYTHING AT ALL...but that those who got well would have gotten well anyway...and those who stayed sick would have stayed sick anyway.

But it if is faith, then why don't we see Jesus, who healed MULTITUDES, not making this or that excuse? Do we dare think that the ONLY people who came to be healed were pre-approved by God to be healed...or that they were perfect little "Christians" and had nothing going on in them that we would expect that people of our day having going on in them?

Do we think that no one who got healed was living in sin?

Was an adulterer?

Hated someone?

Had unforgiveness in their heart?

Etc.
4/8/20 10:07 am

Post Aaron let me agree with you here.... caseyleejones
We get sick because we live in a fallen world

We get sick because the poisons we consume

We get sick because of poor lifestyles

I think some get sick for walking out of the hand and protection of God.
Acts-perienced Poster
4/8/20 10:14 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
2 Chronicles 7:13-14 (NIV)
“When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, 14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/8/20 1:52 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Ezekiel 14:12 (NIV) The word of the Lord came to me: 13 “Son of man, if a country sins against me by being unfaithful and I stretch out my hand against it to cut off its food supply and send famine upon it and kill its people and their animals, 14 even if these three men—Noah, Daniel and Job—were in it, they could save only themselves by their righteousness, declares the Sovereign Lord.

15 “Or if I send wild beasts through that country and they leave it childless and it becomes desolate so that no one can pass through it because of the beasts, 16 as surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, even if these three men were in it, they could not save their own sons or daughters. They alone would be saved, but the land would be desolate.

17 “Or if I bring a sword against that country and say, ‘Let the sword pass throughout the land,’ and I kill its people and their animals, 18 as surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, even if these three men were in it, they could not save their own sons or daughters. They alone would be saved.

19 “Or if I send a plague into that land and pour out my wrath on it through bloodshed, killing its people and their animals, 20 as surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, even if Noah, Daniel and Job were in it, they could save neither son nor daughter. They would save only themselves by their righteousness.

21 “For this is what the Sovereign Lord says: How much worse will it be when I send against Jerusalem my four dreadful judgments—sword and famine and wild beasts and plague—to kill its men and their animals! 22 Yet there will be some survivors—sons and daughters who will be brought out of it. They will come to you, and when you see their conduct and their actions, you will be consoled regarding the disaster I have brought on Jerusalem—every disaster I have brought on it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/8/20 2:00 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
God has had me in the book of Jonah lately. The message from God for Ninevah was that He was reaching out to them one last time before He rained judgment on them. I feel that is what is happening here. God is calling our nation (at least) to repentance...bringing us back to the basics and reminding us of what's truly important. God is not making anyone sick but He's allowed it to happen for a purpose. It's a corporate thing, not a personal one.

Interesting side note: I had never paid attention to the fact that God said Ninevah would be overthrown. I though it said, "destroyed."
4/8/20 4:24 pm

Post Notice that God's judgment falls on sinful nations... Aaron Scott
That does NOT exclude us, of course. America is a sinful nation. But the question remains: Was there some special deal going on so that EVERYONE that came to Jesus was someone God was WILLING to heal (since He healed them all)?

Is it reasonable to claim that God made those stay home who He was unwilling to heal?

I am not sure how to align these things.

I certainly believe that God punishes nations. But is God WANTING people to be sick? Was Israel some pristine example of goodness in Jesus' day? If so, God sure healed a lot of them.
4/9/20 2:44 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic