Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Another Prophecy about PTL

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Another Prophecy about PTL Carolyn Smith
In case anyone is interested...reading a snippet of Bro. Dortch's book brought this to mind.

My husband and I were in attendance at a service at National COG in DC in 1991 when Carlton Pearson was preaching. (This was before he went off the deep end concerning inclusion and was well respected at that time.) He shared a story about PTL that stuck with me because we worked there from 81-85.

He said God gave him a word for Jim Bakker, and during a visit there, Carlton went to Jim's office to deliver it. He said Jim's desk was piled high with books and all kinds of materials relating to what was being built at the ministry. Jim was referring to the books and excitedly sharing, "We're laying the foundation in this building," and "We're setting up the lighting here..." telling Carlton what was in process. Carlton listened and finally told Jim what God had sent him there to say. He said, "Jim, God said to tell you it's not about the buildings. It's about Him." Jim continued speaking and never even acknowledged what Carlton said.

Carlton said when he left Jim's office, he was angry with God and fussed, "Why did You send me here? He didn't even listen to me! You knew that - why did You send me when you knew he wouldn't listen?"

He said he heard the Lord speak to his spirit, "Many have come before you, and many will come after you. And then I'll come."

And He did. We were gone from PTL by then, but our hearts were broken when it all fell apart. It happened almost a year to the day that we left. PTL started as a wonderful dream that yielded many souls and could have yielded many more. But somewhere along the way, man's ideas became the greater vision.

One of the lessons God taught me there was that as long as man is involved in a ministry, there will be problems, even if it's Christian ministry. Man is fallible and can easily be led astray if their foundation is not rooted and grounded in the Word or if that foundation becomes shaky.

If you've never read Jim Bakker's book, "I Was Wrong," it's an excellent read, as well as Bro. Dortch's.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/5/20 10:31 pm

Post PTL was a blessing to many. People told me of caseyleejones
stories of their visits there. Just like today, the building program became bigger than God. Acts-perienced Poster
4/6/20 1:38 pm

Post Re: Another Prophecy about PTL THE LOVE OF GOD
Carolyn Smith wrote:
In case anyone is interested...reading a snippet of Bro. Dortch's book brought this to mind.

My husband and I were in attendance at a service at National COG in DC in 1991 when Carlton Pearson was preaching. (This was before he went off the deep end concerning inclusion and was well respected at that time.) He shared a story about PTL that stuck with me because we worked there from 81-85.

He said God gave him a word for Jim Bakker, and during a visit there, Carlton went to Jim's office to deliver it. He said Jim's desk was piled high with books and all kinds of materials relating to what was being built at the ministry. Jim was referring to the books and excitedly sharing, "We're laying the foundation in this building," and "We're setting up the lighting here..." telling Carlton what was in process. Carlton listened and finally told Jim what God had sent him there to say. He said, "Jim, God said to tell you it's not about the buildings. It's about Him." Jim continued speaking and never even acknowledged what Carlton said.

Carlton said when he left Jim's office, he was angry with God and fussed, "Why did You send me here? He didn't even listen to me! You knew that - why did You send me when you knew he wouldn't listen?"

He said he heard the Lord speak to his spirit, "Many have come before you, and many will come after you. And then I'll come."

And He did. We were gone from PTL by then, but our hearts were broken when it all fell apart. It happened almost a year to the day that we left. PTL started as a wonderful dream that yielded many souls and could have yielded many more. But somewhere along the way, man's ideas became the greater vision.

One of the lessons God taught me there was that as long as man is involved in a ministry, there will be problems, even if it's Christian ministry. Man is fallible and can easily be led astray if their foundation is not rooted and grounded in the Word or if that foundation becomes shaky.

If you've never read Jim Bakker's book, "I Was Wrong," it's an excellent read, as well as Bro. Dortch's.

I read his book and really enjoyed it. We lived in NC when his world came
down. It was so sad. Not saying it boastfully, but prayed many prayers for Jim. I always blamed Charlotte Observor for their lies on him. I know he did wrong with Jessica Hahn but everytime he would get an issue concerning PTL straightened out, Charlotte O would bring it back up again like it was something new. I believe he really humbled himself and is trying to do the best he can. I never thought he would be back on TV. I don't agree with all his sales but at least he is not on the Prosperity Message like before and like a lot do on TV. The people who support him are supporting him by purchasing his items not just by giving.
What is the name of Richard Dortch's book? I will have to find it.
Friendly Face
4/6/20 3:35 pm

Post Re: Another Prophecy about PTL Carolyn Smith
THE LOVE OF GOD wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

I read his book and really enjoyed it. We lived in NC when his world came
down. It was so sad. Not saying it boastfully, but prayed many prayers for Jim. I always blamed Charlotte Observor for their lies on him. I know he did wrong with Jessica Hahn but everytime he would get an issue concerning PTL straightened out, Charlotte O would bring it back up again like it was something new. I believe he really humbled himself and is trying to do the best he can. I never thought he would be back on TV. I don't agree with all his sales but at least he is not on the Prosperity Message like before and like a lot do on TV. The people who support him are supporting him by purchasing his items not just by giving.
What is the name of Richard Dortch's book? I will have to find it.

Dr. Acts referenced it in another thread and even gave a snippet of it. The title is "Integrity: How I Lost It, and My Journey Back," by Richard Dortch,

I think Jim's book should be required reading for young ministers. It would show them some of the pitfalls ahead and traps of the enemy that can happen.

I think Jim had a pure vision when he started but he got sidetracked into other things. Pastor Sarah was his childhood pastor and Jim's confidant and counselor when he needed advice when he started PTL. He moved Pastor Sarah there. Pastor Sarah gave Jim sound wisdom and helped him stay focused. Jim confessed about Jessica Hahn to Pastor Sarah (as well an official in the AG at the time.) I think things began to change after he died. The people who replaced him were not as Christ-centered IMHO. I think a lot of things could have been prevented if he had had someone close to him that would say no to him and keep him pointed toward the cross.
4/6/20 5:55 pm

Post Dr.Acts
Not to change the topic, but speaking of this has anyone else heard of David Wilkerson’s prophecy about our organization given in Time Square Church about a decade ago?
Friendly Face
4/7/20 8:53 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Dr.Acts wrote:
Not to change the topic, but speaking of this has anyone else heard of David Wilkerson’s prophecy about our organization given in Time Square Church about a decade ago?

What does this have to do with a prophecy about PTL?
4/7/20 9:18 am

Post Dr.Acts
It was also given by David Wilkerson and carried somewhat similar expectations as well...
Friendly Face
4/7/20 9:20 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Dr.Acts wrote:
It was also given by David Wilkerson and carried somewhat similar expectations as well...

This thread is not about a prophecy by David Wilkerson. In fact, I specifically started a different thread so it would not go off topic of the DW thread.

Do you mean the COG when you say "Our organization"?
4/7/20 9:43 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic