Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Canceling our 2020 General Assembly because of worldwide pandemics?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Canceling our 2020 General Assembly because of worldwide pandemics? uthdude2000
Canceling our 2020 General Assembly because of worldwide pandemics

Certainly, a possibility of issues that should be looked at with several conceivable outcomes:

1. No election is held and current office positions are held off for another year or so until the pandemics is neutralized - this will require change in procedure.

2. Electronic elections for change of office are held worldwide in lieu of the 2020 General Assembly - this will also require change in procedure

3. General Assembly 2020 is held in disregard of the coronavirus pandemics. Despite many prayers and praise reports, cases of coronavirus emerge from Indianapolis following with death cases across America. The newly elected Executive Committee resigns by Christmas and change of procedure is once again mandatory.

A century ago, our organization did not believe in going to the doctor and some even handled snakes in various Cleveland revivals, but had enough sense to cancel the 1918 General Assembly due to the worldwide influenza.

What, IF ANYTHING has changed a century later?

Your Thoughts???
3/11/20 6:38 pm

Post General Assembly Change Agent
I would go with one or three. Electronic voting could upset the SE USA leadership train. Acts Enthusiast
3/13/20 10:01 am

Post Answer... Aaron Scott
Quote:
A century ago, our organization did not believe in going to the doctor and some even handled snakes in various Cleveland revivals, but had enough sense to cancel the 1918 General Assembly due to the worldwide influenza.

Um...we don't handle snakes AND we are good with folks going to the doctor.

So, as the song goes, "two out of three ain't bad."
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/13/20 10:05 am

Post Dave Dorsey
It's very possible the pandemic will be largely neutralized by late July, especially given how seriously authorities seem to be taking it.

I guess the problem is that travel/hotel bookings would need to be made soon, while things are still uncertain.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/13/20 10:17 am

Post Re: Answer... Mat
Aaron Scott wrote:
Quote:

Um...we don't handle snakes AND we are good with folks going to the doctor.

So, as the song goes, "two out of three ain't bad."

I think the government canceled the assembly in 1918, as well as worship services across the country on at least four Sundays.

According to the Ken Burns documentary on the Spanish Flu Pandemic, many doctors and nurses refused to those sick with the flu. So yes, we taught against going to the doctor, but the practice of medicine was very different back then. There was no CDC, HHS or FDA back then, and if you study the ingredients of the patient medicine of the time, you often find cocaine, opium and other addictive drugs.

It was a different time, or was it?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
3/13/20 10:52 am

Post Dean Steenburgh
Some of our churches here in California are taking the rest of the month off.

I would say that if the #'s on this pandemic are still climbing in late April to early May then the 2020 GA will need to be cancelled.
I'm sure we can figure out a way to do the voting online if we need to.
If not then most of our business can wait 2 more years & that would make the 4 year GA folks content also.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
3/14/20 6:20 pm

Post Re: Canceling our 2020 General Assembly because of worldwide pandemics Dr.Acts
uthdude2000 wrote:

1. No election is held and current office positions are held off for another year or so until the pandemics is neutralized - this will require change in procedure.

2. Electronic elections for change of office are held worldwide in lieu of the 2020 General Assembly - this will also require change in procedure

3. General Assembly 2020 is held in disregard of the coronavirus pandemics. Despite many prayers and praise reports, cases of coronavirus emerge from Indianapolis following with death cases across America. The newly elected Executive Committee resigns by Christmas and change of procedure is once again mandatory.

Certainly on the top of the list among many other options.
Guess we are fixing to find out in just a little while.
Main questions remains: 2021 or 2022?
Friendly Face
4/3/20 11:28 am

Post Everyone stays another term roughridercog
Do not pass GO, do not collect $200
4/3/20 11:41 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Could someone add a question mark to this topic before people get the wrong impression again?
4/3/20 11:51 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Could someone add a question mark to this topic before people get the wrong impression again?

Good call. Done.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/3/20 11:52 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

Good call. Done.

Thanks!
4/3/20 12:52 pm

Post Dr.Acts
Who leaked the information about an "everything GA" board in such a speculative manner? Nothing was said this week in such regard except that GA is still on. The call may be made when EC meets after Easter and will perhaps depend on the ICC availability as scheduled.

Last edited by Dr.Acts on 4/4/20 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
4/4/20 8:34 am

Post Cojak
I don't think one would be out on a limb to say "THERE WILL BE NO ONLINE VOTING THIS YEAR!!!"
I am sure it could be done, but there is no mandate for it as far as I know, and it is much easier to go with extending the date or say come back next year! Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/4/20 10:20 am

Post Dr.Acts
Cojak wrote:
"THERE WILL BE NO ONLINE VOTING THIS YEAR!!!"

When the Think-tank 2.0 concluded their report, it was not regarded as possibility.
Do you feel it could be done involving ALL ordained bishops globally?
I'd hate to be the moderator of such business meetings Smile
Friendly Face
4/4/20 11:08 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Dr.Acts wrote:
Who leaked the information about an "everything GA" board in such a speculative manner? Nothing was said this week in such regard except that GA is still on. The call may be made when EC meats after Easter and will perhaps depend on the ICC availability as scheduled.

Bishop Hill announced it in the FB Excellent Ministers group on March 28th. Not exactly a secret.
4/4/20 11:33 am

Post sadlytrue77
Uh oh. Overseers stay two more years. Hope yours is good. Thank God for Brother Shuler! We'll keep him!

New Orleans Bred, Mississippi Led, Hopefully Arizona will be home before I'm dead.
*OnceASaintsFanAlwaysASaintsFan*
Friendly Face
4/4/20 12:46 pm

Post roughridercog
sadlytrue77 wrote:
Uh oh. Overseers stay two more years. Hope yours is good. Thank God for Brother Shuler! We'll keep him!

I honestly think that will happen unless an AB specifically wants or needs to leave.
4/4/20 3:53 pm

Post Dr.Acts
roughridercog wrote:
I honestly think that will happen unless an AB specifically wants or needs to leave.

Is the 2yrs for overseers the real issue here or the other 4-yr mandate no one is talking about yet?
Friendly Face
4/4/20 4:43 pm

Post Why don’t we just have a virtual (or online) General Assembly? Dr.Acts
Why don’t we just have a virtual (or online) General Assembly?

A virtual General Assembly was presented as an option. After discussion, the Executive Council determined that our Bylaws make no provisions for a virtual General Assembly. Furthermore, there would be major logistical challenges in having a deliberative virtual General Assembly where everyone could participate according to parliamentary procedures.

Our Bylaws require that to participate in the General Assembly, you must be “present and registered.” Without specific references to virtual meetings in the Bylaws, Robert’s Rules of Order, according to the parliamentarians, would interpret that requirement to mean that everyone must be physically in the same room.

The Executive Council, after reviewing applicable laws and regulations, has the authority to propose changes to the Bylaws that could allow for virtual participation in future General Assemblies.

Can we now change the OP to the original title, so we can discuss the 3 options brought to the ThinkTank?
Friendly Face
4/21/20 5:12 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic