Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Digital Communion: Arguments For and Against (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Digital Communion: Arguments For and Against (L) Dave Dorsey
Thought this might be a helpful resource to pastors who are wrestling through how to approach communion in our current time.

https://j.hn/digital-communion-summary-of-theology-practices/
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/23/20 8:38 pm

Post Link
I Corinthians 10 speaks of one cup and one bread. I knew one church that had one bottle and said that the word translated cup could be translated vessel in Greek, and they poured it out of that vessel. Having everyone get their own bread and juice/wine and home... I'm not sure if that communicates and expresses the koinonia aspect of it.

I certainly do not want to see communion done by having an avatar that looks like you, then clicking on a picture of a wafer and a cup and the avatar takes it, or gets dunked for baptism. No substituting real church with sim church.

We could take communion with our families.
3/23/20 11:43 pm

Post During war time marriages were performed by proxy roughridercog
Why not digital communion?
3/25/20 1:34 pm

Post Re: During war time marriages were performed by proxy Dave Dorsey
roughridercog wrote:
Why not digital communion?

The article lays out very thoughtful arguments for and against, IMO.

The best argument against (again IMO) -- not receiving communion separately stirs the godly yearning in us to want to be physically together in community again.

Psalm 137:4-6 (ESV) wrote:
How shall we sing the Lord's song in a foreign land? If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget its skill! Let my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth, if I do not remember you, I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/25/20 2:21 pm

Post Link
As far as church online goes, it puts us at the mercy of large corporations and the government. If our ISP or whatever platform we use or the government wanted to shut church down, they might be able to. There are plenty of corporations that call evil good that might want to block some kind of ministry that doesn't endorse certain forms of sexual perversion. I know a man who had an 'Anglican Pentecostal' blog that had some good, well-thought out articles in it (William DeArteaga who wrote 'Quenching the Spirit.') The site that he had his many blogs posted on shut his blog down after he wrote an article suggesting some homosexuals or transgenders (can't remember which) may be under demonic influence. If the satellites fall out of the sky due to solar flares or the magnetic poles move into the wrong place interfering with technology, that could be a problem, too.
3/25/20 3:40 pm

Post There is no against argument that is valid... Aaron Scott
The argument that one makes against digital communion is the SAME argument that one must use for digital church. After all, we are not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together, etc.

But if a person is livestreaming or what have you, then it would be just as right, under such circumstances, to do a digital communion.

Or a digital altar call.

About the only hard thing to do would be a digital baptism--but I feel confident that Jesus would be just as pleased if, in a situation like coronavirus, a saved person dunked themselves, as He would be if the pastor did it.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/26/20 8:43 am

Post Dave Dorsey
It honestly doesn't sound like any of you actually read the article. Just saying. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/26/20 9:01 am

Post Patrick Harris
I read the article and have some thoughts.

Our church is basically holds to a memorial view, but actually does communion each week as part of our service. To our church it's extremely important to have this time of communion.

However, we are still sharing that opportunity on-line and letting everyone know ahead of time that it will be part of our on-line service.

The biggest reason I see for it not to be done is merely Tradition and I say this after seeing a debate yesterday on twitter about "virtual communion" between mostly Reformed church pastors and ministers.

Honestly after reading article I can't a solid Biblical prohibition against having communion at home. For me it does not change the fact that I miss my church and wish to be gathered with them weekly and it doesn't violate any "Incarnation" reason or make it any less holy or irreverent if you do it as a family.

The whole debate online on twitter yesterday ticked me off to no end. It's merely nothing more than the whole "if you don't worship and serve my way you aren't doing it right".
Acts Enthusiast
3/29/20 10:15 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Thanks for reading the article Patrick.

I agree with your views. While I might not normally endorse communion at a distance, these are extraordinary circumstances where the church cannot meet in person. Absent a clear biblical prohibition stating otherwise, it seems reasonable to me to participate in communion in any way possible right now.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/29/20 10:50 am

Post does Lee offer a Digital discipleship Dr.Acts
The more urgent concern right now is does Lee offer a Digital discipleship course yet? It is the hot topic in several denominations with the stay-at-home pastors and the drive-through church right now.
Friendly Face
4/6/20 3:07 pm

Post UncleJD
Link wrote:
I
I certainly do not want to see communion done by having an avatar that looks like you, then clicking on a picture of a wafer and a cup and the avatar takes it, or gets dunked for baptism. No substituting real church with sim church.

It almost sounds like you believe in real presence. Otherwise, what is the difference in an avatar doing something in a picture than church teachings of the elements as symbolic only? (I'm actually being serious since its something I think about a lot).
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/6/20 3:11 pm

Post following Dr.Acts
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/opinion/sunday/weird-christians.html?referringSource=articleShare&fbclid=IwAR3aDuQSvfEFm5mKxOYoKcURsTOwwKOcrWg7pCUsztwE6kRfQdWAI7bhtFE
Friendly Face
5/8/20 10:30 am

Post Link
UncleJD wrote:
Link wrote:
I

It almost sounds like you believe in real presence. Otherwise, what is the difference in an avatar doing something in a picture than church teachings of the elements as symbolic only? (I'm actually being serious since its something I think about a lot).

By an avatar, I mean having a video game character depicted as drinking bread and wine.

Jesus did say 'This is my body, which is broken for you...' When we partake, we are fellowshipping/sharing in/participating with the body of Christ. There are no such teachings about doing this with a sim.

I do not believe only ordained clergy can bless the bread and the cup or perform baptisms. Paul wrote '...the cup of blessing which we bless...' and Ananias, a disciple, baptized.
5/8/20 10:53 am

Post Dr.Acts
Bro. Dave,
Did you find the article in liberal NYT somehow related to the one you posted?
Friendly Face
5/9/20 11:54 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Dr.Acts wrote:
Bro. Dave,
Did you find the article in liberal NYT somehow related to the one you posted?

I heard about some article in the NYT but I haven't seen it. Got a link?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/9/20 11:59 am

Post Dr.Acts
Posted it above - here we go again.
Let me know what you think please

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/opinion/sunday/weird-christians.html?referringSource=articleShare&fbclid=IwAR3aDuQSvfEFm5mKxOYoKcURsTOwwKOcrWg7pCUsztwE6kRfQdWAI7bhtFE
Friendly Face
5/9/20 5:18 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic