Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Is it worth it to get a flu shot?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Is it worth it to get a flu shot? Link
Flu shots give an immunization against what is probably 'last year's flu', a virus or combination of viruses that were the danger when the shot was made. But these viruses mutate and the next flu is a different virus.

While getting a flu shot may decrease ones chances of getting the flu, there is also the 'cost' of getting a needle poked into your body, containing who knows what. WebMD says 5 to 20% of the population will get the flu. What a huge gap. I'd imagine certain ages and people with certain diseases are more susceptible. (Thanking God here) it has been years and years since I have gotten an actual flu, or developed the full symptoms for it. I'm guessing over 10 years, maybe 15 I might get an occasional mild cough.

Is it worth it for me to have a needle stuck in my arm, with last year's bug in it, not even this year's bug? Wouldn't it make more sense for me to just take vitamins and stay in a humidified room? (Humidity is supposed to be good to lower the chance of diseases maybe by keeping good bacteria around and let them outnumber bad ones. Not sure about viruses.)

If I were 75, my risk profile might be different.
3/10/20 10:07 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Getting a flu shot will help in that if you do still get the flu, it will usually drastically reduce your symptoms and the length of time you will be sick. The only time I had the flu, I felt like death for about 3 weeks.

BTW, flu or influenza is a respiratory sickness, so it won't protect you against "stomach flu" or the coronavirus.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/10/20 10:17 am

Post Dave Dorsey
You should always get a flu shot for the sake of those around you. If you contract the flu, you could spread it to people who are vulnerable and could die from it. It is to everyone's advantage that influenza spread be as minimized as possible. Think about this in terms of your biblical responsibility to do good to others and to treat them as you would have you and your family treated.

Plus, if you go to Target to get it they'll give you a $5 store gift card.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
3/10/20 1:45 pm

Post Link
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Getting a flu shot will help in that if you do still get the flu, it will usually drastically reduce your symptoms and the length of time you will be sick. The only time I had the flu, I felt like death for about 3 weeks.

BTW, flu or influenza is a respiratory sickness, so it won't protect you against "stomach flu" or the coronavirus.

I read there was a study that showed that people who had the flu shot and got the flu went back to work a whopping half day faster than those who did not have it, on average.
3/10/20 3:05 pm

Post (L) Link
This is from the CDC site: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine.

How often are the viruses closely matched? That's a pretty big detail to leave out. It gives me the feeling that they may be spinning the stats a bit to make flu shots seem more effective than they really are.
3/10/20 3:07 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic