Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Tithing question

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Tithing question Link
Brother Bill and brother Tom go to the same church. They own a lawn care business together. A sister at church, a little grandma, sister Jane, needs to pay the rent and can't afford it. Brothers Bill and Tom have some money in their lawn care company that they haven't draw out, so each of them draws half the amount of the light bill, and each of them lends their share to Sister Jane, who says she will pay them back out of her tax refund.

Brother Bill realizes that he tithes the money he gets whenever he takes a draw out of the business. But he lent all the money to help Sister Jane. He heard from a preacher on TV that if he doesn't pay tithes up front, he has to pay a 1/5 penalty. He looks at his budget and his bills, and he can't afford to pay tithes on that money he lent to sister Jane and he does not see how he will be able to pay a 1/5 penalty.

Is brother Bill sinning if he doesn't pay tithes of the draw from his business this week at church? If he doesn't pay the 1/5 penalty, is he sinning?

Last edited by Link on 3/9/20 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Acts-perienced Poster
3/7/20 12:21 am

Post And... roughridercog
Whose wife will she be in the resurrection?
3/7/20 8:24 am

Post Re: And... Cojak
roughridercog wrote:
Whose wife will she be in the resurrection?

Tom"s!!!!!

But to the OP. I know people who think like this. They are within 5 years of my age. Many of us Old People get confused because of the emphasis placed on Tithing Exactly. Someone very close to me gets over wrought thinking of cases like this.
But in my years I have never heard of the penalty thing. I probably over looked it in reading.

I do not think our Lord looks at gifts and tithes in %'s or pennies, but at our heart.

PS: But I still think she will be Tom's wife! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
3/7/20 10:46 am

Post Dean Steenburgh
The 1/5 penalty is O.T. law & doesn't pertain.
The heart of the giver already has issues when looking for ways to examine when they have given too much.
Did Christ give too much when He healed, taught, did miracles, suffered, died, resurrected???
Where do we draw the line?
Matt. 23 & Luke 11 Jesus made it clear they had neglected the tithe which "they should have done!"
I've tithed all my adult years, watched my folks tithe all the time, watched my grandparents & my great grandparents all tithe & I haven't seen anyone go without.
My kids tithe & all are blessed & highly favored.
When you look for reasons to give it will be given back, pressed down, shaken together & running over.
I know some want to debate & argue the issue in order to make their point but where is your life lesson?
Life lessons are never learned when we're looking for a way out or a way to minimize!

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
3/7/20 5:34 pm

Post Bro Bob
What Dean said.Thumb Up

I am 100% with the Minutes of the General Assembly on this matter. (19th Assembly, 1924)

The requirement of 1/10th or 1/5th only applied to farming and ranching.

Why tithe Levitically and ignore all the rest in that book?

Rolling Eyes

Are we Levite's or Christians? Even Jews don't tithe right now, there is no temple to carry their lambs to.

By all means give as the Lord shows you where and how to. Support your church, where would you be without it?

The only thing that matters is where your heart is.

"Inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these, my brethren, you have done it unto me." ~ Jesus, the Christ.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
3/7/20 10:38 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
Likewise what Bro Bob said Laughing

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
3/7/20 11:33 pm

Post JLarry
NO!

Stop listening to TV preachers preaching about tithes.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
3/8/20 1:30 pm

Post Link
Dean Steenburgh wrote:
The 1/5 penalty is O.T. law & doesn't pertain.
The heart of the giver already has issues when looking for ways to examine when they have given too much.

I agree with the first sentence. But isn't the tithe taught by Pentecostals mis-applied Old Testament law? It's made from taking Old Testament verses about Israelites paying 10% of crops and herds from the land of Israel to the Aaronic priests out of context, using these to insist on 10% of cash income to be paid to the local church. If the 1/5 penalty is OT, isn't the tithe command OT?

Jesus was talking to Jews about the OT tithe when He told them they should have paid tithes. He also said they strained a gnat and swallowed a camel. We Gentile believers are allowed to eat camels aren't we? I mean, as long as we don't steal the camel, slaughter it well and maybe give some of it to the poor, we are allowed to eat that aren't we?

Now, you are condemning this poor imaginary man as if he doesn't want to give much. He lives on a budget and if he pays 10% on money he lent to a sister in Christ to help her pay her rent, then he can't pay his own rent. He's already bought groceries for the month. All that is left to pay this month is rent to a poor elderly Christian widow who is just barely getting by who goes to is church. (i can make this up as I go along since it is my story.)

Quote:

I've tithed all my adult years, watched my folks tithe all the time, watched my grandparents & my great grandparents all tithe & I haven't seen anyone go without.

I read a post on Facebook who said that he'd never seen people have financial miracles instantly because of tithing. God sends rain on the just and unjust alike. There are probably plenty of Christians who could say the same do not believe that they are obligated to give 10% of cash income to the church because the Israelites were commanded to pay 10% of crops and herds (and consume 10% in Jerusalem and give 10% every third year to certain disadvantage groups). There are probably unbelievers who could say the same thing.

Quote:

My kids tithe & all are blessed & highly favored.
When you look for reasons to give it will be given back, pressed down, shaken together & running over.
I know some want to debate & argue the issue in order to make their point but where is your life lesson?
Life lessons are never learned when we're looking for a way out or a way to minimize!

This brother here sounds like he's trying to be faithful with his money. He lent it to help a sister in Christ. If he'd have given it to her, would you be less condemning to our hypothetical brother?

Btw, most American atheists pay their Biblical tithes from the tithing passages Pentecostal pastors use. 10% of zero crops and zero herds from the land of Israel is zero.
3/9/20 10:07 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic