Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Regarding 1 Samuel 28 (King Saul & the witch of Endor)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Regarding 1 Samuel 28 (King Saul & the witch of Endor) Dean Steenburgh
Do you believe the spirit was really Samuel or do you believe it was a demon or ???

Can we get a couple of bible students on this?
I taught on this chapter tonight at bible study.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
2/5/20 9:42 pm

Post UncleJD
I'm not sure it was actually Samuel, I doubt that, but I do believe the message was from God. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/6/20 9:20 am

Post Bro Bob
It is quite the study isn't it?

To say it wasn't actually Samuel means we have to say exactly the opposite of what the text itself says. Why wouldn't scripture tell us it was a demon pretending to be Samuel if that were so? What a good opportunity to establish such a truth. And how would a demon know the future any more than a man would except God himself revealed it to him? ONLY God knows the future and only He can reveal it.

Then we have to explain how a demonic spirit scares the mess out of a witch if demon spirits is what she is used to communicating with and all she has access to.

Then we have to explain how this demon spirit does such a good imitation of Samuel that he nails the prophecy spot on.

On the OTHER hand...

If this was actually the spirit of the departed Samuel, why does he ask "Why have you disturbed my rest? (You know we must reject soul sleep because, ummm well just because we know that doesn't happen.)

If it was the spirit of Samuel, then why would God allow a demon to disturb him at all, awake or asleep?

Saul had already been seeking God for these answers, and God was silent.

Personally, I have to accept the story as written. That it happened just that way. Then I have to ask God to show me what that reveals about why he dealt with Saul in this way.

BTW, Dake and I rarely disagree, but on this one he thinks I am a nut. I hope I didn't disturb his rest just now.

I'll be interested to see what the students have to say.

BB

Last edited by Bro Bob on 2/7/20 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
2/6/20 3:08 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
In the past, I have argued the entire incident was a demonic deception. I think there are good reasons for holding that position.

However, I do think when we weigh all the evidence, the view is most satisfactory which says God overrode the witch’s incantations (and so she didn’t really have the power to call up Samuel’s ghost), allowing Samuel to come up from the grave to speak the final word of judgement upon Saul.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 2/7/20 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/6/20 3:19 pm

Post SCFIRE
A puzzling piece of scripture for sure.
I'm in agreement with all of the remarks and I wish it were clearer.
I do believe there are 'familiar' spirits that can imitate in a uncanny manner and know things because of being around the people or getting knowledge from spirits that have been around people.
2/6/20 8:18 pm

Post Da Sheik
The bible says it was Samuel. That settles it for me. Some things bother people that are rigid in their systems of theology. In the normal order of things, we know Samuel wouldn't be summoned. Clearly the witch didn't expect Samuel, she expected some demonic entity. Samuel's appearance was terrifying to her which indicates it was not the norm for her.

Sometimes God does things that are not intended to set precedent. When was the last time you baptized someone and then vanished to appear in another town? This is a good example of why we must be careful when using narrative passages of scripture to build doctrinal positions.

See what has happened here. The Holy Spirit says it's Saul, but some of us can't accept it because we find it inconsistent with our own beliefs. Much in the way some cannot accept Christ turning the water into wine because they reason "Jesus wouldn't do that".

1Sa 28:15  Now Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?" And Saul answered, "I am deeply distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me and does not answer me anymore, neither by prophets nor by dreams. Therefore I have called you, that you may reveal to me what I should do." 
1Sa 28:16  Then Samuel said: "So why do you ask me, seeing the LORD has departed from you and has become your enemy?  NKJV
Acts Enthusiast
2/7/20 1:17 pm

Post Bro Bob
I have nothing to add other than an Amen to what Da Shiek just said.

(Not that other views are not of interest to me as well.)

BB
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
2/7/20 1:44 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Great post, Da Sheik... beginning to end! [Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/7/20 1:46 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic