Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Does your church have armed people in your congregation?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Does your church have armed people in your congregation? roughridercog
Ready in case of an armed intruder with a desire to hurt someone.

We have several. I am one of them. I carry either a 9mm or a 45.

And you?
12/31/19 12:50 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
There's obviously no downside to having armed members, so long as they are either professionally trained or spend regular time at the range to ensure they do not function as an additional threat in an active shooter situation.

That said, this kind of thing is still extremely unlikely to happen at an individual church. Churches SHOULD be prepared, but they also need to make sure they are covering the things that are much more likely to happen, such as unauthorized child pickups, etc.

Churches have no business fielding an armed security team when they have not addressed precautions against incidents that are much more likely to occur, IMO. This they should have done and not have left the other undone.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/31/19 1:45 pm

Post Cojak
Just today I have been thinking of the changes in my life time. I used to be amazed at the changes in my dad's life time. The first car, plane and space travel.
Now I think of when ALL churches were open 24 hours a day for people to drop in and pray. Then Due to society the churches had to be locked due to thieves and mischief. NOW it is logical that guns are needed in church just for safety. Soon metal detectors then dogs for explosives.
YES today we do need security. I have always fired Expert, but of course now at 80 it would not be smart for me to be armed (that hurt to say). Embarassed Crying or Very sad
I am still good with my plastic 12 gauge pistol, but not wise in a crowd...
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/31/19 2:03 pm

Post dave must have read this op ed from the LA Times brotherjames
which decries packing heat in church as it is an infinitesimally unlikely event to occur in your vicinity. here is the link
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-nichols-mass-shooting-irrational-20171108-story.html

However, in the midst of all of that, other people scorned and mocked such a ridiculous notion as this is what followed Tom Nichols reposting his argument against packing heat in church.
This is because people who believe that low-probability events are more common than they are latch on to every example of a low-probability event as proof. It's called "confirmation bias." It';s dumb, but very human. /2

— Tom Nichols (@RadioFreeTom) December 30, 2019.

For those of you who'd like to read the piece from the @latimes, it's here:https://t.co/FM2M0fcNF5

/3x

— Tom Nichols (@RadioFreeTom) December 30, 2019

Protect your churches, your synagogues, your temples, and your mosques, and do not buy the bulls*** peddled here that wanting to defend your houses of worship is something you should be ashamed of. https://t.co/M3smdX6k0b

— JERRY DUNLEAVY (@JerryDunleavy) December 30, 2019

No matter your faith, never let anyone shame you for wanting to be able to defend your house of worship. https://t.co/JudoBQhxw8

Nichols’s arguments about insurance and guns in churches are just that kind of uneducated nonsense that Nichols has been generating for years. Of course you buy insurance against high cost, low probability events. That’s what insurance is for. That’s the reason you can buy major-medical insurance (or at least to be able to) and it takes the force of the federal government to let you get insurance for a pre-existing condition. If you own a gun, Nichols’s entire argument breaks down. Because you have a choice, in Texas, of either bringing it to church or not. If you don’t, you’re essentially engaging is a bet that nothing bad will happen. It is basically like choosing not to wear a seatbelt. The odds of you needing it are damned small, but you have it so why tempt the Fates?

Gun nut conservatives: Liberals worry too much about guns, they want to ban them because they're just weenies who have a fear of guns.
Also gun nut conservatives: People shooting it out in churches is so common that we should all be packing in the pews every Sunday morning.

— Tom Nichols (@RadioFreeTom) December 30, 2019

The dragging Nichols took did nothing to improve his temper and soon he was hiding behind his expertise of being an expert. That didn’t go well.

Tom thinks people should lose the constitutional right to defend themselves because I corncobbed him https://t.co/cL3HvAU2px

The incident in Texas ended with the loss of three lives ONLY because Texas allows concealed carry in churches. Period. Otherwise the shooter would have had a field day racking up a body count if that was his intent. It ended as it did because the ‘good guy with a gun’ had the training, reflexes, and presence of mind to make it work. We don’t know how it would have played out if Wilson had not been there but we can surmise that the five people who pull pieces in the video of the shooting would have soon given the shooter something to be concerned about.

To claim that this does not make a case for how concealed carry can reduce the impact of random shootings and to try to argue that a church full of unarmed worshipers would have fared better because of expert expertise experting is demeaning to anyone reading the argument and it should be demeaning to the idiot making it…well it was demeaning to him, he just doesn’t have the expertise to realize it.

@RadioFreeTom a war was fought here in the U.S. to end slavery, but apparently it still exists, as Jerry is clearly your owner.

As for my church, let's just say that what occurred in Ft Worth would be replicated in my church and maybe even quicker with more guns.
Acts-celerater
12/31/19 3:16 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
James, I support having armed church members and any sensible person should have been able to easily ascertain that from my post.

Welcome back to Acts, btw.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/31/19 3:46 pm

Post SCFIRE
Yes we have armed Men & women in our church and you will very seldom see me without one.
12/31/19 10:24 pm

Post SCFIRE
Yes we have armed Men & women in our church and you will very seldom see me without one.
12/31/19 11:37 pm

Post georgiapath
I heard yesterday that they knew who this man was, the church had given him food, he was mad because they would not give him money. I don't know if it's true or not.

I always feel a little better when it's not a random act of violence.
Acts-dicted
1/1/20 6:30 am

Post sheepdogandy
Yes, we do. Cool

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/1/20 9:47 am

Post UncleJD
Dave Dorsey wrote:

That said, this kind of thing is still extremely unlikely to happen at an individual church. Churches SHOULD be prepared, but they also need to make sure they are covering the things that are much more likely to happen, such as unauthorized child pickups, etc..

This is true Dave, but just FYI, this is the SECOND time this has happened in a church in that area within 5 miles (the last time was in the late 90s). This particular church also happens to be the same church congregation that sold my home church their previous building back in the 60s. So 2 church shootings in 20 years within a few miles of each other. I'm really having trouble wrapping my mind around that. I will NEVER attend a church that has one of the stupid "no guns" signs outside.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/2/20 9:43 am

Post Dave Dorsey
UncleJD wrote:
I will NEVER attend a church that has one of the stupid "no guns" signs outside.

For sure. It's one thing to choose to be a soft target. It's another thing entirely to advertise it!!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/2/20 10:23 am

Post Cojak
UncleJD wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:

That said, this kind of thing is still extremely unlikely to happen at an individual church. Churches SHOULD be prepared, but they also need to make sure they are covering the things that are much more likely to happen, such as unauthorized child pickups, etc..

This is true Dave, but just FYI, this is the SECOND time this has happened in a church in that area within 5 miles (the last time was in the late 90s). This particular church also happens to be the same church congregation that sold my home church their previous building back in the 60s. So 2 church shootings in 20 years within a few miles of each other. I'm really having trouble wrapping my mind around that. I will NEVER attend a church that has one of the stupid "no guns" signs outside.

WOW, I can see that! Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/2/20 11:54 am

Post Yes 4thgeneration
The short answer is yes.

We have licensed and qualified gun owners who carry in our church. Those include both law enforcement officers and private citizens. I'm fairly sure we have others who carry, but don't inform us of such. lol

We have a full security team, one of which mans a computer with two screens and live video from 36 cameras on our campus. The entire team is equipped with radios, and some on that team are cleared to carry firearms. Some of the team wear Security shirts, and others are intentionally not dressed to stand out as part of our security team.

We also have an off duty police officer who parks his police car right outside our main entrance, and is present, patrolling our campus during our Sunday morning services.
Acts Enthusiast
1/2/20 2:27 pm

Post diakoneo
We have a security team at the church of God I attend. Several others conceal carry. I don't. Though I have a couple of hand guns and shoot regularly never got a conceal carry permit.

The video of this church shooting should be studied carefully by every church security team. I believe it demonstrates what should and more importantly what should not be done. I heard one security expert say(he leads his churches security team) this man (with fake beard and large overcoat)should have never been allowed in the sanctuary. He should have been (with proper Christian demeanor) asked to open his overcoat before going in. If he refused, call the police.

It is my understanding that this man was followed by camera from the parking lot into the church.

Thank God for these men who did confront and defeat this evil. I just hope other churches will glean from this loss of life.

It is sad that these measures must be taken in a church but evil abounds in this world and God has given us the wisdom and tools to protect ourselves.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/4/20 8:36 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Yes [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/6/20 3:40 pm

Post sadlytrue77
Here in Mississippi the smaller number is how many ain't!

New Orleans Bred, Mississippi Led, Hopefully Arizona will be home before I'm dead.
*OnceASaintsFanAlwaysASaintsFan*
Friendly Face
1/11/20 12:45 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic