Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

second church shooting in 20 years in West Fort Worth

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post second church shooting in 20 years in West Fort Worth UncleJD
This recent shooting occurred within 5 miles of my home church (Lakeside Church of God in Fort Worth). It also happens to be the same church congregation that Lakeside's congregation purchased a former building from in the 60s. So this hit VERY close to home. AGAIN. There was another, even worse, shooting back in 1999, just over 20 years ago at a "see you at the pole" event with over 150 teens in attendance. This one also was within few miles of where we went to church and where I lived and went to high school. I knew a lot of people who lost friends and family. Nobody was armed then. I am very thankful that these brave men were armed and took it on themselves to stop this mad man.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/16/us/gunman-kills-7-and-himself-at-baptist-church-in-fort-worth.html
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/2/20 9:48 am

Post Dave Dorsey
The unedited video is hard to watch because one congregant draws slowly and loses his life for it.

But Jack Wilson's shot was probably the best I have ever seen. 99% of regular shooters don't make that shot in controlled conditions at a range, much less in the middle of an active shooter event. Single shot, in the head, target moving laterally. Just incredible. I don't mean to take any emphasis or focus away from the tragic loss of life, but man, what a shot. Without question Wilson saved dozens of lives that day.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/2/20 10:26 am

Post Dave Dorsey
I think it also goes to show how important training is. I don't think you can just authorize a group of dudes to bring their guns and hope for the best. If churches are going to have non-LEO/non-military security folks then the church should probably pay for regular range time and the group should have basic plans for how to clear and secure the building, etc.

One congregant casually went to draw his firearm and he got killed for it. Wilson clearly has a lot of training and was able to immediately end the threat. There are a whole lot of internet tough guys in the world who think the gun at their waist or ankle is all that will ever be needed to neutralize a threat. That's foolish and dangerous. This stuff isn't a game.

It's clear, unfortunately, that churches need to be prepared for active shooter situations. But that means they need to be prepared for active shooter situations. And having a bunch of random people concealed carrying is not being prepared IMO. It's better than not having any of those people, but still dangerous.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/2/20 10:36 am

Post Cojak
Dave Dorsey wrote:
I think it also goes to show how important training is. I don't think you can just authorize a group of dudes to bring their guns and hope for the best. ...

We hear all the time in Building and Real Estate Three things are important: Location, Location and Location.

For any firearm usage it is :TRAINING,TRAINING and TRAINING.

In my youth before Green Berets and Seals there was the USMC RECONS. They were good and they woke the rest of us up training and were training when we hit the sack many days.

Just because you own a small arms weapon, DOES NOT MEAN you will be good under pressure....
Good comment DD.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/2/20 11:49 am

Post Re: second church shooting in 20 years in West Fort Worth Brandon Bohannon
UncleJD wrote:
This recent shooting occurred within 5 miles of my home church (Lakeside Church of God in Fort Worth). It also happens to be the same church congregation that Lakeside's congregation purchased a former building from in the 60s. So this hit VERY close to home. AGAIN. There was another, even worse, shooting back in 1999, just over 20 years ago at a "see you at the pole" event with over 150 teens in attendance. This one also was within few miles of where we went to church and where I lived and went to high school. I knew a lot of people who lost friends and family. Nobody was armed then. I am very thankful that these brave men were armed and took it on themselves to stop this mad man.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/16/us/gunman-kills-7-and-himself-at-baptist-church-in-fort-worth.html
I have been very privileged to serve in your home church for two years and five months. If you live in the area, please come see us sometime and please allow me to buy you lunch or a cup of coffee.

We have several relational and historic ties with the West Freeway Church of Christ. You mentioned us purchasing the building from them. Another connection is that the Law Enforcement Officer that heads up our WORD at Lakeside safety team purchased his service weapon from the 71 year old hero in the White Settlement shooting. My two sons attend White Settlement ISD schools.

I was thankful that our GO contacted us on Sunday night. As you well know, he spent 10-11 years at Lakeside when his father and mother served as pastors there. I thought that you might also be interested in knowing that we are about to attend and participate in our 3rd active shooter training in our 3rd year here. We have also added 10 gunshot wound kits, an AED, and have established a safety team that includes active and retired law enforcement, active and retired military, and professional nurses as well as private citizens with CCL. Our local police department patrols our campus frequently and we have a security system.

We take the safety of our church family very, very serious. Bishop Hill said that he wished that every COG, small or large, would create a safety plan to protect each congregation.

As Christian believers, we want to help the hurting and to see the salvation of the lost. We want for our doors and arms to be open and inviting. We also need to recognize where we are at in time and climate. We who follow the Good Shepherd must embrace the call to be good sheepdogs. A spear in one hand a trowel in the other. Alert. Sober. Vigilant.

Blessings to you and to all of Actscelerate.

If you are ever on the west side of Fort Worth, please stop by.
Proverbs 3:5-6; John 13:34-35; Acts 1:8
Acts-celerater
1/2/20 3:59 pm

Post Re: second church shooting in 20 years in West Fort Worth UncleJD
Brandon Bohannon wrote:
I have been very privileged to serve in your home church for two years and five months. If you live in the area, please come see us sometime and please allow me to buy you lunch or a cup of coffee..

Pastor B I have every intention of coming by soon, I haven't been since the funeral of Bro. Hill, but we have every intention to. Right now every time we are in the area we have to attend another church because our son is engaged to the pastor's daughter (non-COG, but the pastor and I, and probably you, grew up in TX COG youthcamps). Once they are married and settled down we will try to plan a day there. I miss it terribly and the only reason we don't go is we moved about 70 miles away, I love my new town very much and its the only thing that keeps us from moving back, but Lakeside is on our hearts and minds always. If Brother Newman is still in charge of security tell him to be careful loading his pistol (inside joke yall). Love you guys
1/3/20 9:11 am

Post Da Sheik
[quote="Cojak"]
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Just because you own a small arms weapon, DOES NOT MEAN you will be good under pressure....

100% truth right here ! And even with lots of training, all bets are off when guns are drawn and adrenaline is flying.
Acts Enthusiast
1/3/20 9:38 am

Post UncleJD
[quote="Da Sheik"]
Cojak wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:

100% truth right here ! And even with lots of training, all bets are off when guns are drawn and adrenaline is flying.

While I agree with this on the surface, I'd like to point out that this is often used as an anti-gun argument by the left. not saying anyone here is coming from that side of it nor am I saying that there are not valid points in proper context. I'm just pointing out that it is often used as an excuse to further limit gun rights. I would also point out that everyone who is licensed to carry has to demonstrate at least some proficiency with their weapon as well as a safety course that includes situational training for scenarios like this.
Of course everyone who carries SHOULD regularly practice and hopefully take advanced courses as well, but lets just be careful not to fall for a false narrative used by the left.
1/3/20 11:32 am

Post Dave Dorsey
UncleJD wrote:
but lets just be careful not to fall for a false narrative used by the left.

Fair point and well taken. I added the comment at the end of my post about armed randos still being better than not having anyone at all for this reason, but I also appreciate you specifically mentioning it.

If I am at a church where someone has come to be an active shooter, I would infinitely prefer having an untrained cowboy with a gun he hasn't taken to the range since the Bush administration over no armed resistance at all.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/3/20 11:45 am

Post Cojak
I also agree with DD. JD does have a point. But the fact is still present, if you are gonna carry it, if you fire it, KNOW WHERE THE ROUND IS GOING. Idea
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/3/20 8:05 pm

Post Tom Sterbens
Cojak wrote:

In my youth before Green Berets and Seals there was the USMC RECONS. They were good and they woke the rest of us up training and were training when we hit the sack many days.

Just had to drop by and add a Semper Fi and an "amen" to that...
See you guys next year! Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
1/9/20 1:07 am

Post West Freeway COC owned the property on El Campo? Lonestar
Near Uncle Julio's? Member
2/4/20 12:55 pm

Post Jack Wilson Formerly Owned A Shooting Range Just Outside Of FW Lonestar
Dave Dorsey wrote:
The unedited video is hard to watch because one congregant draws slowly and loses his life for it.

But Jack Wilson's shot was probably the best I have ever seen. 99% of regular shooters don't make that shot in controlled conditions at a range, much less in the middle of an active shooter event. Single shot, in the head, target moving laterally. Just incredible. I don't mean to take any emphasis or focus away from the tragic loss of life, but man, what a shot. Without question Wilson saved dozens of lives that day.

Additionally, he's running for County Commissioner in a neighboring county.
2/4/20 12:59 pm

Post Re: West Freeway COC owned the property on El Campo? UncleJD
Lonestar wrote:
Near Uncle Julio's?

No, they owned the previous building in White Settlement. El Campo was the location AFTER the one in White Settlement. The El Campo building is still there, it was a Florist, now its a Bank I think. JW Hill (Tim's dad) moved us into both of those locations. I haven't seen the latest remodel, but most of my childhood memories are from that location, it was called Arlington Heights COG back then. That was the location before the current one in Lakeside.
2/4/20 1:01 pm

Post Re: West Freeway COC owned the property on El Campo? Lonestar
UncleJD wrote:
Lonestar wrote:
Near Uncle Julio's?

No, they owned the previous building in White Settlement. El Campo was the location AFTER the one in White Settlement. The El Campo building is still there, it was a Florist, now its a Bank I think. JW Hill (Tim's dad) moved us into both of those locations. I haven't seen the latest remodel, but most of my childhood memories are from that location, it was called Arlington Heights COG back then. That was the location before the current one in Lakeside.

My family started attending Lakeside in the late '80s and continued through the '90s. I loved playing volleyball on Sunday nights after church in the old gym.
2/4/20 1:16 pm

Lonestar wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
Lonestar wrote:
Near Uncle Julio's?

My family started attending Lakeside in the late '80s and continued through the '90s. I loved playing volleyball on Sunday nights after church in the old gym.

Then I'm sure we're old friends from TNT, and I think I know who you are Smile
2/4/20 1:56 pm

UncleJD wrote:
Lonestar wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
Lonestar wrote:
Near Uncle Julio's?

Then I'm sure we're old friends from TNT, and I think I know who you are Smile

You should definitely remember me & my family -- you remember the Perkins family?
2/4/20 4:44 pm

[quote="Lonestar"]
UncleJD wrote:
[
You should definitely remember me & my family -- you remember the Perkins family?

Very well!
2/4/20 4:46 pm

[quote="UncleJD"]
Lonestar wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
[

Very well!

I'm not related to the Perkins -- just trying to throw you off the trail, however, I always wondered what happened to Cory, I see his siblings on social media, but not him. Chad lives down in your neck of the woods.
2/4/20 4:51 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic