Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Doesn't love foreigners...disqualified from ministry

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Doesn't love foreigners...disqualified from ministry Link
Do you love foreigners? Do you love Mexicans, El Salvadorians, Indians, Syrians, and Iranians?

Loving foreigners was a requirement to be an overseer in the church in either I Timothy 3:2 or Titus 1:8. Philoxenos is translated as 'given to hospitality.' A 'xenos' was a stranger, a foreigner, even someone from out of town. People from distant countries are very much foreigners, and fall into the xenos category.

I Peter 12:13 commands believers to love foreigners, so it applies to those who are not church overseers.

If we really love foreigners, people from other cities and countries, you would be inclined to open your home to them, house and feed them as they travel-- to show them hospitality.

If you find yourself complaining about those foreigners, consider whether you have the right attitude of your heart.
12/23/19 12:45 am

Post Re: Doesn't love foreigners...disqualified from ministry Resident Skeptic
Link wrote:
Do you love foreigners? Do you love Mexicans, El Salvadorians, Indians, Syrians, and Iranians?
T6
Loving foreigners was a requirement to be an overseer in the church in either I Timothy 3:2 or Titus 1:8. Philoxenos is translated as 'given to hospitality.' A 'xenos' was a stranger, a foreigner, even someone from out of town. People from distant countries are very much foreigners, and fall into the xenos category. Uh

I Peter 12:13 commands believers to love foreigners, so it applies to those who are not church overseers.

If we really love foreigners, people from other cities and countries, you would be inclined to open your home to them, house and feed them as they travel-- to show them hospitality.

If you find yourself complaining about those foreigners, consider whether you have the right attitude of your heart.
in your opinion, can one adhere to the principles cited above while simultaneously advocating strict enforcement of border and immigration laws?
12/23/19 9:53 am

Post Re: Doesn't love foreigners...disqualified from ministry Cojak
Resident Skeptic wrote:
... in your opinion, can one adhere to the principles cited above while simultaneously advocating strict enforcement of border and immigration laws?

I am not the author of the post, but in my opinion YES one can LOVE and still believe in following the law.

My parents showed love to all races all my life, even in the strict segregated south. Not to say it is the same, but the example of Christian love was always there.

I have a couple friends from Mexico. We love and fellowship. I have never asked their 'immigration status.' If they had an immigration problem and I could come to their aid I would. BUT I still believe in our immigration laws. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/23/19 12:33 pm

Post Re: Doesn't love foreigners...disqualified from ministry roughridercog
Link wrote:

Loving foreigners was a requirement to be an overseer in the church in either I Timothy 3:2 or Titus 1:8. Philoxenos is translated as 'given to hospitality.' A 'xenos' was a stranger, a foreigner, even someone from out of town. People from distant countries are very much foreigners, and fall into the xenos category.

Can we differentiate between foreigners and blatantly illegal immigrants? Granted borders were more flexible in Biblical times. But we are told too bet the law of the land.
12/23/19 12:50 pm

Post Re: Doesn't love foreigners...disqualified from ministry Link
roughridercog wrote:
Link wrote:

Can we differentiate between foreigners and blatantly illegal immigrants? Granted borders were more flexible in Biblical times. But we are told too bet the law of the land.

We can include illegals in the foreigner group.
12/23/19 10:26 pm

Post Illegal? roughridercog
Love them. Feed them. Minister to them. If in danger, protect them. Send them back asap.
12/24/19 6:39 am

Post diakoneo
We have not done our foreign neighbors any favors by taking a large portion of their population into our borders. Seems we didn't leave anyone there to fight the drug cartels and rampant crime. That only makes it worse for those who are left. We just needed some cheap labor...men and women who would actually work jobs that we refused to work. I love these folks, but we, for their sake and ours cannot continue on the path we have been on for the past 40 years.

Last edited by diakoneo on 12/24/19 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/24/19 8:02 am

Post Re: Doesn't love foreigners...disqualified from ministry Resident Skeptic
Link wrote:
roughridercog wrote:
Link wrote:

We can include illegals in the foreigner group.

You never answered my question. Certainly, we love people, even if they are lawbreakers. But in your opinion, can one adhere to the principles you cited above in your original post while simultaneously advocating strict enforcement of border and immigration laws?
12/24/19 9:18 am

Post Resident Skeptic
diakoneo wrote:
We have not done our foreign neighbors any favors by taking a large portion of there population into our borders. Seems we didn't leave anyone there to fight the drug cartels and rampant crime. That only makes it worse for those who are left. We just needed some cheap labor...men and women who would actually work jobs that we refused to work. I love these folks, but we, for their sake and ours cannot continue on the path we have been on for the past 40 years.

While we spend billions on protecting rich European and Arab countries. It makes no sense. The southern part of our hemisphere is in bad shape. And we let it rot. A man from Mexico City told me he wishes we would annex Mexico for a few years. at least long enough to imprint our success on them. I'm not sure that is possible, though.
12/24/19 9:23 am

Post Re: Illegal? Link
roughridercog wrote:
Love them. Feed them. Minister to them. If in danger, protect them. Send them back asap.

Do not ask if they are illegal so you do not break US law by helping them.
12/24/19 10:19 am

Post Cojak
Resident Skeptic wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
We have not done our foreign neighbors any favors by taking a large portion of there population into our borders. Seems we didn't leave anyone there to fight the drug cartels and rampant crime. That only makes it worse for those who are left. We just needed some cheap labor...men and women who would actually work jobs that we refused to work. I love these folks, but we, for their sake and ours cannot continue on the path we have been on for the past 40 years.

While we spend billions on protecting rich European and Arab countries. It makes no sense. The southern part of our hemisphere is in bad shape. And we let it rot. A man from Mexico City told me he wishes we would annex Mexico for a few years. at least long enough to imprint our success on them. I'm not sure that is possible, though.

It is not possible i believe, BUT as it seems the cartels grow and take over the gov't, something will needs be done. Not sure what. I would sure hate to see military conflict just to free a neighbor. TOOOOO many innocent people would die, of course that is always the case of an armed conflict. I sure hate to think of it.
The press sure shows or hints a Cartel influence in high places. Listening to the press scares me though. (sorry to ramble) Embarassed

not to hijack back to the OP, I never ask the question illegal or not. BUT with our influx of Hispanic people, I do appreciate their concern and support of the Christian Religion. Smile
12/24/19 11:58 am

Post diakoneo
Resident Skeptic wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

We are pretty good at sticking our nose where it shouldn't be. Sending aid to people who wouldn't spit on us if we were on fire, meanwhile leaving those closest that we should really help, spinning in the wind. The way we spend money really doesn't make sense. A lot of that has to do with lobbyists and special interest groups, I think. Idea
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
12/24/19 1:22 pm

Post Cojak
diakoneo wrote:

We are pretty good at sticking our nose where it shouldn't be. Sending aid to people who wouldn't spit on us if we were on fire, meanwhile leaving those closest that we should really help, spinning in the wind. The way we spend money really doesn't make sense. A lot of that has to do with lobbyists and special interest groups, I think. Idea

good comment and it does seem to be true! Cool Idea
12/25/19 9:43 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic