Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Someone not COG to lead Lee?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Someone not COG to lead Lee? doyle
I DO NOT know of any move for someone outside the COG to be chosen as President of Lee, but if that was proposed, what would be your reaction?

If you were OK with it, who would you choose?

Doyle
11/13/19 2:41 pm

Post The best person would be Mark Rutland... Aaron Scott
He is the only one, in my estimation, that carries enough weight as a leader, as a man of God, and as someone with academic credentials, to come behind Paul Conn. Also, Mark Rutland used to serve at Mt. Paran.

At the same time, Paul Conn was not exactly a heavyweight, I don't suppose, when he took over. But he showed us he was.

If Paul L. Walker were younger, he'd have been a great one.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/13/19 2:57 pm

Post But more directly to your question... Aaron Scott
I would be opposed to anyone who had zero connection with the Church of God. We have a cultural heritage that Paul Conn understood intimately, even as he led a university of young people who, most of them anyway, likely had very little connection to that heritage.

A lot of students may be from the Church of God (I understand that most are Baptist), but not all of them have "DNA" that harks back to the early days (and by that I mean as late as the 40s and 50s).

We already imagine that Lee University is changing at times. How much more would we be up in arms if we heard the same things happening under someone we didn't trust as much as Paul Conn?

Of course, a former president of a great Pentecostal college could likely make the cut.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/13/19 3:21 pm

Post Re: The best person would be Mark Rutland... Link
Aaron Scott wrote:
He is the only one, in my estimation, that carries enough weight as a leader, as a man of God, and as someone with academic credentials, to come behind Paul Conn. Also, Mark Rutland used to serve at Mt. Paran.

At the same time, Paul Conn was not exactly a heavyweight, I don't suppose, when he took over. But he showed us he was.

If Paul L. Walker were younger, he'd have been a great one.

Mark Rutland was ministering at a CH church that last I heard.
11/13/19 3:21 pm

Post UncleJD
I'm not against a non-COG person per se, other than a further drift away from denominational oversight. But I would be against anyone from a theologically liberal school, such as an Ivy League school, yet I expect that may indeed happen. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/13/19 3:27 pm

Post Let's think who..... spartanfan
would be a good possibility! Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
11/13/19 4:39 pm

Post My secret sources in Israel say it will be... roughridercog
Paula White Laughing
11/13/19 9:51 pm

Post Brandon Bowers
I just don't believe we need to go back to the days of COG political appointments where the Lee Presidency is treated like a State Overseer role. The two roles are completely different animals, and Lee needs someone from academia, not the church.
11/14/19 7:51 am

Post Before this Gets Muddled mytwocents
I spoke with a board member friend; they said the Board had discussed the need for the new president to be Church of God. Also told me no names had been presented or discussed. Acts-celerater
11/14/19 8:14 am

Post Re: Before this Gets Muddled UncleJD
mytwocents wrote:
I spoke with a board member friend; they said the Board had discussed the need for the new president to be Church of God.

By the context, I take it you mean they agreed on the need FOR being COG? Or did they just discuss it with no conclusion? Just want to be clear.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/14/19 12:23 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
It would be like a Pentecostal being chosen as President of Brigham Young.
11/14/19 12:40 pm

Post Uncle JD mytwocents
I took what was said to mean that the next president had to be of the Church of God tribe. If so then this thread is useless speculation. Acts-celerater
11/14/19 2:29 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
Maybe it would be a good idea to consider a solid leader from amongst the brethren to be the President at Lee.
As in the case of a long term pastorate, the next minister often times only lasts a short while due to a lack of acclimation.
If a gifted minister with say a doctorate were to be installed as President at Lee I'm confident that the school would do fine & would most likely succeed.
Since it seems that Dr. Conn would still be serving in a Chancellor role it appears as though maybe with the help of the new Chancellor the new President would have the approval & proper training from the previous President to make it a smooth transition.
My thoughts along the line of using a pastor/minister are motivated by the fact that we are a Pentecostal denomination & Lee represents one of the last stalwarts of the traditional Pentecostal Universities. Maybe the time has come for the influence of a practicing theologian to assume the role of said governorship.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
11/14/19 8:01 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic