Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Testimony-- Provision of a job

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Testimony-- Provision of a job Link
Some time back, I asked for prayer.

My family had a tough year. I was on a two-year contract in Indonesia. I had thought no Indonesian university would be able to afford me in my lifetime. This school, though, was named after a billionaire. I found out later that the non-profit the school was a part of had gotten US state department funding. They were hiring a lot of expats. I remember H. Clinton had promised Indonesia funding for education. My dean-- who did not have power over the money-- and someone on the board wanted to renew me, but they delayed past the date they gave me to tell me if I'd be renewed. The dean tried to keep me, but decided to get a new MBA program instead of paying my salary.

I had a job lined up at ORU, and turned down another job at a small Methodist school for that. Neither paid what I considered to be market wages for my field. I got the handbook from ORU before driving out there. The people were great. i got to spend some time praying about my decisions with Vincent Synan and stay in an old Roberts family apartment on the same floor he was on in what used to be the City of Faith tower. I heard Oral and Richard had stayed there.

The contract said I had read and agreed to the terms in the large document. The agreement included a solemn vow and promise to God to keep the honor code. i would have to vow to God to keep up the ORU exercise program, never to consume an alcoholic beverage, never to break the law, and to keep everything in the student handbook.

I take swearing and vowing very seriously and consider both to be covered by 'Swear not at all' especially since Jesus likely quotes a verse about vowing in that section (but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths.)

The school insisted I sign as in. I heard second-hand the president was the one who insisted. I'd told him I took wine in communion during the interview previously and he said it wouldn't be a problem. I'd written my objections to the honor code in my application, but the hiring team didn't make the connection to the comments I'd made on their end.

So I was basically unemployed for a year. I tried to do some Internet marketing with some small business people I'd met, but they never did fund the ads, and then wanted to 'scale them up'. I thought they had money. Eventually someone form church wanted me to handle the sales and business side of a fence business. I made a little on that, probably $2000 in about 10 months.

I had a few interviews online. One of them turned into a face-to-face interview-- which in my field is an academic presentation or sample teaching lecture. I gave an academic presentation and got hired at a small state university in SC.

I've been very busy being hired to teach classes at the last minute, so I haven't though to post and praise God for answering my family's prayers for a job. This one is tenure track with reasonable research expectations combined with a heavy teaching load. The salary is okay. Not quite as much as the overseas job for regular salary, but there is overload and summer pay for extra classes here I did not get here, though no free housing provided by the school here. I also still have occasional construction business to handle.

The Lord is good. It is good to work... well work that actually turns into money to provide for the family after a year of scrambling around trying to start something.

School started late and I had kids in high school. I tried to rent a house near hear before labor day, and our land lord wanted to rent to someone else if we moved, so we decided to keep my kids in school where they are, and I am commuting two and a half hours on weekends. So if you want to pray for me, pray for the reunification of my family in one home. We are thinking next summer.
11/7/19 7:18 pm

Post Re: Testimony-- Provision of a job Cojak
Link wrote:
Some time back, I asked for prayer.

My family had a tough year. ...
School started late and I had kids in high school. I tried to rent a house near hear before labor day, and our land lord wanted to rent to someone else if we moved, so we decided to keep my kids in school where they are, and I am commuting two and a half hours on weekends. So if you want to pray for me, pray for the reunification of my family in one home. We are thinking next summer.

Thanks for the update. I have been wondering about you. We have visitors from Indonesia at our church for the winter and are wonderful worshiping folk. I always think of you when I see them.
I knew you were back in the states, glad to hear it and pray you can get the family back in one home close to work.
Love you my brother Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/8/19 11:20 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic