Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I think I better understand that man at the tombs (Legion)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I think I better understand that man at the tombs (Legion) Aaron Scott
For as long as I can recall, I have always thought of this man as a walking nightmare who exhibited all the demonic attributes of a horror movie.

I don't think that way anymore.

I used to think that he hung around the graveyard because of the whole horror-thing with cemeteries, etc.

I don't think that way anymore.

If anything, TO ME, this man is deeply tragic. I have come to believe that he hung around the tombs because he had lost those people who had been nearest and dearest to him, and had never fully recovered. So he spent his time meditating on that lose, perhaps feeling that he was the final repository of all those precious memories.

As we age, we find that we often need others to remind us of things that had slipped our mind. Or to confirm that we are remembering things that right way. But what happens when they are gone? When only you know those things?

I can tell you that for me it is soul-shaking. Perhaps I am overly sentimental and given to melancholy, but when you think back on memories of times that at least NOW, mean the world to you, yet know that you can NEVER see those times again, NEVER see those persons again...it is almost enough to break ones heart...and mind.

Some people look back on the past and love the warm memories. Indeed, I imagine all of us enjoy that to a great degree. But while some can then set that aside and turn their attentions back to the present and the future, some, perhaps the man who lived among the tombs, could not. All they can do was bewail that the best of times is now behind them, seeing no hope that the future could possible be as good or better than then....

BUT THEN JESUS CAME....

And this man, filled with enough demons to call themselves "Legion," who had perhaps gained entrance through this poor man's unmitigated grief and hopelessness, was finally set free!

It was Jesus and Jesus alone Who could deliver him. The people had no doubt tried many remedies, up to and including restraints, but their attempts had failed.

If Jesus can help a man that far gone, taken over largely by demons, it appears, then how much more can Jesus help us?

This man

Last edited by Aaron Scott on 11/1/19 8:24 am; edited 3 times in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/31/19 8:13 am

Post Bro Bob
I read this (twice) not long after you posted it, and thought I would wait to see the responses. Oh well.

I am always interested when someone sees something new in something so familiar. I also really like that you have feelings for the man. Jesus also had feelings for him.

Quote:
I can tell you that for me it is soul-shaking. Perhaps I am overly sentimental and given to melancholy, but when you think back on memories of times that at least NOW, mean the world to you, yet know that you can NEVER see those times again, NEVER see those persons again...it is almost enough to break ones heart...and mind.

I have been dealing with this myself after Regina's passing in April. I love the memories, and there are so many wonderful, beautiful memories. But I hate the reminders that she is gone and not coming back unless Jesus comes back. And the reminders of that are everywhere.

Quote:

Some people look back on the past and love the warm memories. Indeed, I imagine all of us enjoy that to a great degree. But while some can then set that aside and turn their attentions back to the present and the future, some, perhaps the man who lived among the tombs, could not. All they can do was bewail that the best of times is now behind them, seeing no hope that the future could possible be as good or better than then....

My brain has already separated my life into three distinct parts, 1) Before Regina, 18 years, 2) With Regina, 44 1/2 years including dating and engagement, and 3) now this.

Part 1 was erratic but the hand of God was all in it. I have been revisiting the 13 places I lived before I met Regina. Songs, smells, and places can take us back in time. We don't merely remember, we re-feel things from our past.

Part 2 was much more stable, but many things came at us, especially during the last 4 years of it. I have revisited the 7 places that Regina and I lived. I wish we had done that together as we both saw the end coming. But the hand of God was all over part 2 from beginning to end.

Part 3 I never imagined would happen. I don't have a plan. I don't have a clue.

What I will say is this, if not for my absolute belief that God is as much interested in my today and my tomorrow as He ever was, y'all would have another demoniac on your hands. I would not be of sound mind.

BB
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
10/31/19 6:28 pm

Post Cojak
Thank you both, the OP says so much. AND the comment says things I sorta fear. After having my Sherry 63 years I thought this morning WHAT WOULD I DO?
I am taking her in for what is called a minor operation in a few minutes. The thing that comes to mind is what daddy said, "An operation is minor, when preformed on someone else."
I would appreciate your prayers for her.

Love you guys....
jack
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/1/19 6:37 am

Post Cojak
Just to kick this to the top. I thought it would garner more comments. Smile Shocked Wink thoughts and perspective? Smile
11/4/19 11:00 am

Post Carolyn Smith
I have some thoughts I'd like to share on this thread tonight.
11/5/19 6:48 am

Post Carolyn Smith
I guess the first thing I should say is that Aaron's take on this passage in the Bible is interesting, but I don't think it's really addressing what the passage is about. This man was full of demons, which is why he hung out naked in the tombs, had supernatural strength, and harmed himself by cutting himself, etc. Demonic power is very real, though we don't talk about it much these days, and most folks are probably a little (or a lot) afraid to mess with it. Not that I have had a lot of experience, myself.

I think what Aaron is talking about is, in fact, a very real thing, as well, but perhaps something different. What Aaron (and Bro Bob and Cojak) discussed seems to me to fall more in the realm of someone who is troubled in the soulish man (his mind, his will, and his emotions) but not possessed with a demon. We can become sick in our souls, but this doesn't mean we're possessed. This is the part of us that becomes depressed. And if we have lost someone close to us, being depressed and sad is perfectly normal.

I have heard it said that our spirit is the part of us that is eternal and lives forever. This is the part of us that gets saved when we accept Jesus. But even after we're saved, we have to deal with our soulish man who may need lots of healing. Say a person was molested as a child. She gets saved, but the soul that was wounded as a child still needs healing. A man loses his spouse. He is still saved but his soul is wounded and needs healing. Jesus can still heal those wounds, but it is often a process that happens over time.

I don't know if any of you have ever dealt with a tormenting spirit, but I have, and it was an awful experience that lasted a couple of months. God has never allowed me to talk about this much, but I believe this is more what the man in the tombs was experiencing. This attack happened mostly in my mind, and it was as though the thoughts were not thoughts I would normally have, that the thoughts were literally coming from outside myself. I believe now that I was being oppressed by a demonic spirit, speaking lies to me. The only thing that brought me through this was speaking the Word of God. When these thoughts would come against my mind, literally the only thing that helped was speaking the Word.

I thought it would drive me crazy because it was so different than anything I had ever encountered. I sought the counsel of a couple of close friends and prayer warriors who helped me pray through this time. I even thought about this passage in the Bible and for the first time I understood how it could have driven the man crazy, especially if there were 6000 demons fighting him.

Bro Bob - I know your life has changed a lot since you lost Regina, but I don't think you're a demoniac. You've suffered an awful loss, and it will take you time to grieve this loss. Allow yourself the time to grieve. Don't let others push you, and tell you that you should be over this by now. You committed a large part of your life to your wife, and this isn't something you get over quickly. My sister lost her husband a couple of years ago, and she says her life is forever changed. She has no interest in marrying or even dating again. And that's her/your decision to make.

I've noticed a lot of men tend to remarry fairly quickly because they don't know how to be alone, especially when they've been married a long time. That is their own personal decision and completely up to them, but I tend to think their wives would not want them to be alone and would want them to find happiness with someone else if they can. (I know my husband would need someone to help him if anything happened to me! LOL) I watched a FB friend (online, not literally) who lost his wife of many years grieve for quite some time, to the point that I was getting really worried about him because he seemed so devastated by her death. But eventually he met the right woman, and they are very happy together now. He hasn't forgotten his first wife, but she is in glory, and he is still here. He reached a point where he was ready to move on, and it's been a good thing for him.

Anyhow, that is my take on this subject. I'd love to hear your thoughts...
11/5/19 11:13 pm

Post Carolyn Cojak
I read the comment and also understand your point. I think BB or Aa neither was saying they were or were about to be possessed, BUT IT COULD HAPPEN without the Lord.
you said:
I believe now that I was being oppressed by a demonic spirit, speaking lies to me. The only thing that brought me through this was speaking the Word of God. When these thoughts would come against my mind, literally the only thing that helped was speaking the Word. ..... And I believe you whole heartedly.
But take note this is back before the WORD was widely known.

I am unable to express exactly how I feel, but as I read the OP I could 'feel' WHAT COULD happen with so much 'mental pressure' and NO relief valve. Cracks could open where one COULD become possessed rather than depressed. Crying or Very sad

PS: This could also be a teaching moment comparing Demon Possession to ANY condition that takes our common sense.
I know this brings up the ? if a child of God could be possessed. OUCH, OR even commit suicide. Crying or Very sad
11/6/19 11:54 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic