Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Let the Kurds ally with Syria
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post UncleJD
Dave Dorsey wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
THEY were the aggressors, they enslaved and murdered indigenous islanders and Chinese by the hundreds of thousands and treated our soldiers cruelly, so defense of that generation as if they were victims is a little beyond the pale for me.

Actually, Japanese Americans didn't do any of this. As an expert, I am sure you know that not a single Japanese American was convicted of any significant act of espionage or sabotage during the war.

Again, this entire context was about the Japanese of WWII. I know your intention was snarky ('expert'), but I did write a paper on the Japanese-American internment camps when I was at Lee, so I do know something about it, and I know that was a sad and unfortunate time, though thank God Americans weren't cruel and murderous even when in the wrong, and those good Americans proved their worth during that time. But this thread had nothing to do with Americans of Japanese decent.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/16/19 9:32 am

Post Dave Dorsey
UncleJD wrote:
But this thread had nothing to do with Americans of Japanese decent.

It has everything to do with that, because this is the group of people today who are hurt and wounded by the use of that slur.

You acknowledge the right of black Americans to self-determine what is or isn't offensive to them. Why is it so hard to allow the same for Japanese Americans?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/16/19 9:37 am

Post Dave Dorsey
This whole thing could have been prevented by you guys just saying, "Oh wow, I didn't know that word was considered offensive. I did a quick google search about it and found that this isn't some left-wing nonsense, but it actually is a word with a long and hurtful history for Japanese Americans. Had no idea, but appreciate you letting me know."

I'm not sure why that has to be so hard.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/16/19 9:40 am

Post UncleJD
Dave Dorsey wrote:
UncleJD wrote:
But this thread had nothing to do with Americans of Japanese decent.

It has everything to do with that, because this is the group of people today who are hurt and wounded by the use of that slur.

You acknowledge the right of black Americans to self-determine what is or isn't offensive to them. Why is it so hard to allow the same for Japanese Americans?

Last time Dave, read it slow. This has nothing to do with Japanese of today, it has everything to do with Japanese of the WWII era. You can read my first response and measure the context in your mind which should lead you to understand that it was TOTALLY in regards to the era referred to in the post above (regarding Yanks, Gerries/Krauts, etc..) Its really simple, and doesn't need a bunch of emotional outrage. I have never, to my knowledge, referred to modern Japanese as "japs", and I will make every effort not to, but when it comes to discussion in a historical context, I really don't care, they, not we, along with their Nazi allies, were aggressors and don't get to whitewash it. Trust me, I'm being very kind, the men I knew and loved from that era would really tell you how the cow ate the cabbage on this topic. Have a good day.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/16/19 9:58 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Well, as RS said at the beginning before he started throwing out additional slurs, "We will just have to disagree."

Ask a Japanese American how he feels about you referring to anyone, from any time, as a "jap".

You have a good day too.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/16/19 10:19 am

Post Resident Skeptic
The irony is, the context of my "Jap" comment was one of questioning Allied policy of over-neutering them, and dropping the a-bomb on civilians. But the PC watchdog drones acknowledged none of that.
10/16/19 10:47 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Resident Skeptic wrote:
PC watchdog drones

I rest my case, UncleJD. Good day.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/16/19 11:08 am

Post UncleJD
Anyways, back to the OP, you were correct, I saw it in the news this morning, Kurds and Syria have made alliance. Further proof we were only being taken advantage of, they'll keep fighting it out whether we're there to give them weapons and die along side them or not. Its a stink-hole. But I still say let all the outraged congressional dems declare war if they are serious, otherwise its just politics at the expense of our sons and daughters. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/17/19 8:17 am

Post Dave, two things... Aaron Scott
Take care, my friend, to not allow yourself to get so outraged at what you consider the backwardness of fellow Christians that the devil uses it to gain an advantage on you. I have found that when I get to the place of anger and outrage at, say, things the Church of God did or didn't do, I need to take time apart and allow the Holy Ghost to "reboot" me. I don't say that as a rebuke to you, my friend. I know we have very different positions sometimes. I say the above out of concern for the frustration that you--indeed, all of us--can feel at times. It can take us off track and keep us angry and bitter, etc.

Second, it is impossible to keep up with what is "wrong" in this world, since the folks that belong to the church of "Our Lady of Perpetual Outrage" have something new every day, it seems. What was once innocent fun is now a dark and moral outrage to some. What was once a compliment (say, wearing the native costume of a particular nation) is now "cultural appropriation" or some such.

Why, when Ellen had the nerve to sit by President Bush, she was called to task for even being his FRIEND!!?? That is the sort of darkness that has gripped our land. And it will tear us apart within 30 years...perhaps much sooner...if we don't get our heads on straight.

Last edited by Aaron Scott on 10/18/19 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/17/19 4:20 pm

Post Re: Dave, two things... Resident Skeptic
Aaron Scott wrote:
Take care, my friend, to not allow yourself to get so outraged at what you consider the backwardness of fellow Christians that the devil uses it to gain an advantage on you. I have found that when I get to the place of anger and outrage at, say, things the Church of God did or didn't do, I need to take time apart and allow the Holy Ghost to "reboot" me. I don't say that as a rebuke to you, my friend. I know we have very different positions sometimes. I say the above out of concern for the frustration that you--indeed, all of us--can feel at times. It can take us off track and keep us you angry and bitter, etc.

Second, it is impossible to keep up with what is "wrong" in this world, since the folks that belong to the church of "Our Lady of Perpetual Outrage" have something new every day, it seems. What was once innocent fun is now a dark and moral outrage to some. What was once a compliment (say, wearing the native costume of a particular nation) is now "cultural appropriation or some such.

Why, when Ellen had the never to sit by President Bush, she was called to task for even being his FRIEND!!?? That is the sort of darkness that has gripped our land. And it will tear us apart within 30 years...perhaps much sooner...if we don't get our heads on straight.

Indeed.
10/17/19 6:13 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
If you guys want to cry perpetual outrage over racial slurs, go on. You can have your innocent fun. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/17/19 6:34 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:
If you guys want to cry perpetual outrage over racial slurs, go on. You can have your innocent fun.

Where is your outrage over the war against the straight white male?
10/17/19 7:37 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic