Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Qualifications For A State Overseer ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Qualifications For A State Overseer ? MI6
What are the Qualifications to become a State Overseer " Administrative Bishop" in the Church of God? Friendly Face
8/2/19 6:36 pm

Post The real answer and the truth... PreacherSteve
The real answer by the book is be an Ordained Bishop...nothing more, nothing less.

Now the truth is much more. You must be well connected to the right folks that make the appointments, and/or have the proper pedigree with the right name.
8/3/19 6:06 am

Post Re: The real answer and the truth... FLRon
PreacherSteve wrote:
The real answer by the book is be an Ordained Bishop...nothing more, nothing less.

Now the truth is much more. You must be well connected to the right folks that make the appointments, and/or have the proper pedigree with the right name.

And therein lies just one of the reasons why the COG has lost its position as a once spiritually strong body. I’ve heard the “I’m 3rd generation church of God”so many times I now automatically tune it out. Sorry, God is not impressed with your COG pedigree.

Same with the requirements for having the right connections. So many of you great ministers have been denied positions that were God ordained all because you either didn’t meet the pedigree or connections requirement, or the position went to a friend of a friend of the AB.

We can harp at the Millineals all day long, but they see right through this garbage and want nothing to do with it.
8/6/19 2:39 pm

Post AdamJ
A willingness to protect the political system at all cost. An ability to Teach young ministers to do what is best for the system. An ability to Make sure you know how to cover up ways you are spending monies from sold churches. Hey, DOC
8/8/19 6:21 pm

Post Not too cynical are we? brotherjames
Politics is everywhere and in the church of Jesus Christ since the church consists of fallen, flawed people. Acts-celerater
8/13/19 1:52 pm

Post Da Sheik
I know you’re asking in terms of qualifications, but I would love to see an AB be a true pastor to the pastors under his “rule”. If most of us pastored our churches like an average AB supposedly pastors us, we would be looking for a job.

I acknowledge there are exceptions. That’s not cynicism, it’s reality.
Acts Enthusiast
8/13/19 2:22 pm

Post diakoneo
ABs are appointed. They remain by confidence vote. I suppose that is a biblical model since ever since I can remember I was told that voting pastors in churches was not biblical. Thing is, we now vote pastors in, for the most part. So, we are doing things that are not biblical, on a local level. Things changed because bigger churches threatened to pull out of the Church of God. For the sake of finances they changed.

Our current AB system is a holdover from the old system of appointments because it is more biblical I suppose. It is a system, though. I don't think it is a very good system and if you asked most local pastors, in confidence of course, I believe they would agree.

Just as voting on the local level has helped the local church, so would state pastors voting on ABs!
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/13/19 2:43 pm

Post How about having a really good church... roughridercog
To put into the mix for men coming off the field?
8/13/19 10:47 pm

Post Important Qualifications famousflavius
The fist thing a good Overseer should have is a decent golf game followed by a haircut worth talking about.
Next is a good camp meeting dialect and a wife that can cook fried chicken.
Some minor qualifications would be good acting skills and a Lincoln continental or a Cadillac.
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
8/19/19 8:48 am

Post Re: Important Qualifications georgiapath
famousflavius wrote:
The fist thing a good Overseer should have is a decent golf game followed by a haircut worth talking about.
Next is a good camp meeting dialect and a wife that can cook fried chicken.
Some minor qualifications would be good acting skills and a Lincoln continental or a Cadillac.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Acts-dicted
9/6/19 8:42 pm

Post 2ndgeneration
AdamJ wrote:
A willingness to protect the political system at all cost. An ability to Teach young ministers to do what is best for the system. An ability to Make sure you know how to cover up ways you are spending monies from sold churches.

Not true sir! I have served in an overseer position for seven years after serving as a local church pastor for twenty nine years. Not one thing that you have posted is even close to the truth. I speak from a position of knowledge and not supposition. Both Executive Committee's that I have served under have operated with integrity.
Acts Enthusiast
9/21/19 10:06 pm

Post Re: The real answer and the truth... 2ndgeneration
PreacherSteve wrote:

I am sorry sir but the last statement is not true!!! I can name you several overseers who do not have the pedigree, myself included. I can name five overseers now that have no family in the ministry in the COG. Two were raised by faithful laypeople. Three came out of Baptist or non Pentecostal backgrounds. No one knew who our families were. But for some reason, we find ourselves where we are and we are just trying to be faithful and serve the Lord and the church we all love.
Acts Enthusiast
9/21/19 10:28 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
What a bunch of garbage in this thread! Thank you, 2ndgeneration, for speaking up.

Exactly why I don't even click on a lot of threads here. Garbage and innuendo...
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/22/19 6:29 pm

Post What does this mean? famousflavius
If I am considering to purchase a Lincoln does that mean I might be a good candidate for future COG leadership? Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
9/23/19 3:36 pm

Post Re: The real answer and the truth... Cojak
2ndgeneration wrote:
PreacherSteve wrote:

I am sorry sir but the last statement is not true!!! I can name you several overseers who do not have the pedigree, myself included. I can name five overseers now that have no family in the ministry in the COG. Two were raised by faithful laypeople. Three came out of Baptist or non Pentecostal backgrounds. No one knew who our families were. But for some reason, we find ourselves where we are and we are just trying to be faithful and serve the Lord and the church we all love.

Nice! Also well stated. My BIL (S.A. (Dick) Lankford), was an over seer for many years and he had a dad who was a pro fain agnostic. No pedigree. His FIL, my dad, was a very good pastor but no pedigree. He was appointed because he had been a very successful pastor and man of God.

That is not to say that names have not helped in appointments, because we know they have, but NOT ALL. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/23/19 9:48 pm

Post Re: What does this mean? 2ndgeneration
famousflavius wrote:
If I am considering to purchase a Lincoln does that mean I might be a good candidate for future COG leadership?

I don't know. I had a 2006 Ford Expedition and a 1995 Ford Ranger when I was appointed in 2012. I have a 2014 (bought in 2017) Ford Expedition now and still have the Ford Ranger. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Acts Enthusiast
9/29/19 7:11 pm

Post Re: What does this mean? Cojak
2ndgeneration wrote:
famousflavius wrote:
If I am considering to purchase a Lincoln does that mean I might be a good candidate for future COG leadership?

I don't know. I had a 2006 Ford Expedition and a 1995 Ford Ranger when I was appointed in 2012. I have a 2014 (bought in 2017) Ford Expedition now and still have the Ford Ranger. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Shocked Wink Smile Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/29/19 9:07 pm

Post Re: What does this mean? diakoneo
I don't know. I had a 2006 Ford Expedition and a 1995 Ford Ranger when I was appointed in 2012. I have a 2014 (bought in 2017) Ford Expedition now and still have the Ford Ranger. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy[/quote]

Ford Man...

Much respect amigo 😀
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/30/19 8:21 pm

Post Re: What does this mean? 2ndgeneration
diakoneo wrote:

Ford Man...

Much respect amigo 😀[/quote]

Smile Cool Cool
Acts Enthusiast
9/30/19 10:15 pm

Post Re: The real answer and the truth... 4thgeneration
[quote="FLRon"]
PreacherSteve wrote:
I’ve heard the “I’m 3rd generation church of God”so many times I now automatically tune it out. Sorry, God is not impressed with your COG pedigree.

Ummm I'm sorry if my name offends you, but I am proud to be COG, and to be 4th generation in this movement! I don't claim that as a pedigree, but I am thankful for that as fact of my life. And I might add, God is likely equally not impressed with a pedigree or with a lack of one. Just my O!
Acts Enthusiast
10/2/19 3:27 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic