Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Be honest, have you ever visited another pastors members?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Be honest, have you ever visited another pastors members? roughridercog
In hopes of getting them to come to your church. I will confess. In my youth I did it. I was desperate for help. But learned that people you can get that way are not really good for you or the church. They will be lured away by someone promising them a better deal.
I confess, I did it years ago. How about you?

Last edited by roughridercog on 9/2/19 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts Mod
9/2/19 7:52 am

Post Nope FG Minister
I live by the Golden Rule. Acts-celerater
9/2/19 8:09 am

Post Da Sheik
Not that I can remember. But if you’re asking if I ever did things in ministry without 100% pure motives, then yes. Even the best of us are tempted to do things motivated by pride or self-interest. Thank God for grace.

But I appreciate your candor. And you’re right. And it’s probably a poor analogy, but there’s an old adage about infidelity: “if they will do it with you, they will do it to you”.
Acts Enthusiast
9/2/19 9:24 am

Post This was at my first church roughridercog
I'd seen other pastors do it growing up. For years this was how many churches were "grown." I quickly discovered there is a difference between discipleship and sheep rustling.
9/2/19 1:23 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
Not intentionally. The one time I did, the people called me and invited me to come over (which I had done many times in the past) but this one time when we sat down to dinner they started asking me questions which were leading to them coming to my church. I was very straight-forward and told them that if they wanted to leave where they were and come to my church then I would expect them to go to their pastor and explain to him the things they were telling me so that there was no issue between he and I. They never did and never did leave that church. In fact, I was never invited to their house again following that. lol Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/2/19 5:08 pm

Post I guess I'm the only one who has ever done it roughridercog
Or maybe I'm the only one who will admit to it. Laughing
9/3/19 7:32 am

Post Re: Be honest, have you ever visited another pastors members? skinnybishop
roughridercog wrote:
In hopes of getting them to come to your church. I will confess. In my youth I did it. I was desperate for help. But learned that people you can get that way are not really good for you or the church. They will be lured away by someone promising them a better deal.

Visited other members? Yes.
Visited other members in hopes of getting them to come to my church? No.

To ME....to me, to me, to me.....(Did I mention, this for ME?)

Its like making a pass on another man's wife. (Trying to break a covenant relationship)
9/3/19 9:16 am

Post Re: Be honest, have you ever visited another pastors members? Link
roughridercog wrote:

A pastor visiting members? How common is that unless they are dying in the hospital and request it?
9/6/19 8:16 am

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
Not that I can remember. But if you’re asking if I ever did things in ministry without 100% pure motives, then yes. Even the best of us are tempted to do things motivated by pride or self-interest. Thank God for grace.

But I appreciate your candor. And you’re right. And it’s probably a poor analogy, but there’s an old adage about infidelity: “if they will do it with you, they will do it to you”.

My friend, you are one of the best at commenting. I appreciate that comment, one of your best.

To the OP:
At my first church I actually did this, but it was members of another Pentecostal denomination, not COG, The closest COG was over 50 miles so I could not visit any other COG members had I desired.
I was wrong in that case, looking back on it, but since I was raised with "the COG is RIGHT," I thought I would be doing them a favor.. Embarassed Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/6/19 11:07 am

Post roughridercog
Cojak wrote:
Da Sheik wrote:

My friend, you are one of the best at commenting. I appreciate that comment, one of your best.

To the OP:
At my first church I actually did this, but it was members of another Pentecostal denomination, not COG, The closest COG was over 50 miles so I could not visit any other COG members had I desired.
I was wrong in that case, looking back on it, but since I was raised with "the COG is RIGHT," I thought I would be doing them a favor.. Embarassed Embarassed

I remember hearing, "That ain't proselytizing, that's rescuing."

It was a common thought for years.
9/6/19 4:39 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic