Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I've applied for an Assistant Pastor position

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I've applied for an Assistant Pastor position Resident Skeptic
Many of you know that, due to some unique circumstances, my family and I have been attending a Southern Baptist Church for the past couple of years. The church in question is only a 3-minute drive from our home and was, interestingly enough, founded by my Great-Great-Grandfather in 1856.

We always considered this to be a temporary measure. But as time has gone by, we've become heavily involved. I happen to be on the finance committee.

The pastor is a young man of 33 years of age, and has wisdom beyond his years. The church peaked in attendance a few years ago at about 250, and now runs about 150. The personnel committee has been interviewing candidates for an Associate Pastor position that will also encompass the roles of youth pastor and music director. Needless to say, finding someone with this gift mix has been hard. The salary being offered is around 48K, plus free housing on sight (3/2 remodeled home), paid utilities and insurance. We have voted in 2 very qualified candidates who later backed out. Part of the problem has been the obstruction of a handful of very vocal opponents of hiring anyone at all. Their opposition stems mainly from not wanting even the slightest departure from the old school "Baptist" sound and style of worship service. The piano player is very experienced but cannot play by ear, and refuses to adapt to chord charts and the like. Every song has to be played in the same key to make things easier on her (which I don't get). But she and the current choir director are very resistant to change.

A few weeks back the pastor asked me to lead worship while the music director was out of town. I also sang a special using an old Don Francisco soundtrack. The difference was so apparent that the pastor has decided to appoint me worship leader while letting the choir responsibilities remain with the current director. But I still will have to deal with the piano player.

After the second candidate for the position backed out, I felt a nudge to approach the pastor about applying for the position. To that point, it had been the furthest thing from my mind. But being on the finance committee I know what we can really afford and it is going to be hard to find this special person. The only area where I will struggle is leading the choir. But I can probably manage. Right now the choir of 20 or so people is mostly 70 and 80-year-old ladies. But there are several talented younger adults who have not joined simply because of the domineering attitude of the current director.

The pastor was shocked and thrilled that I was interested. He admitted that he had thought about approaching me several times. My salary would probably be in the 37k range, but the other benefits more than make up for any shortfall.
Nothing is engraved in stone. Right now I'd say my chances are 50-50 at getting the job, and that is without the personnel committee having seen my resume. So, we shall see. Please help me pray about this. I made it clear to the pastor that I will not be offended if I am turned down. I only want what God knows is best for my family and the church.
8/23/19 11:17 am

Post Cojak
The best to you my friend. Hope everything goes so you are used of Him. I am sure you can bless many people.
God is good!
Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/23/19 8:28 pm

Post Re: I've applied for an Assistant Pastor position THE LOVE OF GOD
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Many of you know that, due to some unique circumstances, my family and I have been attending a Southern Baptist Church for the past couple of years. The church in question is only a 3-minute drive from our home and was, interestingly enough, founded by my Great-Great-Grandfather in 1856.

We always considered this to be a temporary measure. But as time has gone by, we've become heavily involved. I happen to be on the finance committee.

The pastor is a young man of 33 years of age, and has wisdom beyond his years. The church peaked in attendance a few years ago at about 250, and now runs about 150. The personnel committee has been interviewing candidates for an Associate Pastor position that will also encompass the roles of youth pastor and music director. Needless to say, finding someone with this gift mix has been hard. The salary being offered is around 48K, plus free housing on sight (3/2 remodeled home), paid utilities and insurance. We have voted in 2 very qualified candidates who later backed out. Part of the problem has been the obstruction of a handful of very vocal opponents of hiring anyone at all. Their opposition stems mainly from not wanting even the slightest departure from the old school "Baptist" sound and style of worship service. The piano player is very experienced but cannot play by ear, and refuses to adapt to chord charts and the like. Every song has to be played in the same key to make things easier on her (which I don't get). But she and the current choir director are very resistant to change.

A few weeks back the pastor asked me to lead worship while the music director was out of town. I also sang a special using an old Don Francisco soundtrack. The difference was so apparent that the pastor has decided to appoint me worship leader while letting the choir responsibilities remain with the current director. But I still will have to deal with the piano player.

After the second candidate for the position backed out, I felt a nudge to approach the pastor about applying for the position. To that point, it had been the furthest thing from my mind. But being on the finance committee I know what we can really afford and it is going to be hard to find this special person. The only area where I will struggle is leading the choir. But I can probably manage. Right now the choir of 20 or so people is mostly 70 and 80-year-old ladies. But there are several talented younger adults who have not joined simply because of the domineering attitude of the current director.

The pastor was shocked and thrilled that I was interested. He admitted that he had thought about approaching me several times. My salary would probably be in the 37k range, but the other benefits more than make up for any shortfall.
Nothing is engraved in stone. Right now I'd say my chances are 50-50 at getting the job, and that is without the personnel committee having seen my resume. So, we shall see. Please help me pray about this. I made it clear to the pastor that I will not be offended if I am turned down. I only want what God knows is best for my family and the church.

Hope everything works according to His perfect will. Are they Holy Ghost filled Baptists? Are you at liberty to pray in the Holy Ghost and be used in the gifts? These would be important to me and my family if I were in your situation.
Friendly Face
8/23/19 8:50 pm

Post Re: I've applied for an Assistant Pastor position Resident Skeptic
THE LOVE OF GOD wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Hope everything works according to His perfect will. Are they Holy Ghost filled Baptists? Are you at liberty to pray in the Holy Ghost and be used in the gifts? These would be important to me and my family if I were in your situation.

Sadly that freedom is not there yet. In this small community, there is a CoG and an AG that are in decline. Half of our church is displaced former members from those churches. Our pastor has misgivings about Pentecostals but fully trusts me.

Reviewing my original post, I really feel convicted. My words were not sufficiently Christ-centered. Father, forgive me for that. Your will be done in this situation for your glory alone.
8/23/19 9:08 pm

Post diakoneo
I will be praying the Lord's will be done for you in this situation. It sounds like a great opportunity! Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/23/19 9:26 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
diakoneo wrote:
I will be praying the Lord's will be done for you in this situation. It sounds like a great opportunity!

I am Pentecostal through and through. So this would really be a step of faith for us.
8/23/19 9:33 pm

Post FLRon
Sounds like a good opportunity for you. As long as you have the stomach for the inevitable ensuing firestorm of conflict that’s coming, it sounds like the Lord could use you to break the stronghold that is upon the music department.
Honestly, It sounds like your young pastor is ready to take the church to the next level and recognizes that you can help him greatly. I wish you both much success!
8/23/19 9:39 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Resident Skeptic wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
I will be praying the Lord's will be done for you in this situation. It sounds like a great opportunity!

I am Pentecostal through and through. So this would really be a step of faith for us.

I firmly believe in going where the open door is. You've waited for a ministry position for a long time.

I was telling someone the other night about being asked to teach middlers when I wanted to teach adults. But God opened that door, and I walked through it. I taught them for a year and have been teaching adults ever since. Be faithful where He leads, and He will be faithful to you.

Believing God's best for you...
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/23/19 9:40 pm

Post diakoneo
Resident Skeptic wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

Pentecostal or not, it is great to be in a position where God can use you!

Are these folks cessationist?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/23/19 9:41 pm

Post Patrick Harris
I'm also Pentecostal through and through.

One of the best experiences in my life was pastoring a small Baptist church several years ago. I really loved those people and that time.
Acts Enthusiast
8/25/19 10:11 am

Post Resident Skeptic
diakoneo wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

The pastor and lay pastor are cessationists and Reformed Theology. But the pastor does not doubt that God works supernaturally in our time. He just feels that the Apostles had special gifts literally at their disposal and only for them.
8/25/19 12:53 pm

Post sheepdogandy
I was raised Southern Baptist.

Brother is correct.

Firestorm is coming.

Be ready.

www.spwc.church
8/25/19 4:29 pm

Post diakoneo
Resident Skeptic wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

The pastor and lay pastor are cessationists and Reformed Theology. But the pastor does not doubt that God works supernaturally in our time. He just feels that the Apostles had special gifts literally at their disposal and only for them.

Cessationists...I suppose that would be the biggest negative for me. Though I have heard and experienced worse doctrinal error from those who were not as I am sure you have.

Do they know what you believe?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/25/19 6:24 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
diakoneo wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

Cessationists...I suppose that would be the biggest negative for me. Though I have heard and experienced worse doctrinal error from those who were not as I am sure you have.

It certainly is a negative. They know how I feel. But they know that my sense of etiquette will prevent me from making waves also.
8/25/19 9:29 pm

Post roughridercog
Resident Skeptic wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

It certainly is a negative. They know how I feel. But they know that my sense of etiquette will prevent me from making waves also.

I will be praying that God shows up in a big way and proves them that He and His infinite power are unchanging.
8/26/19 6:20 am

Post Da Sheik
Carolyn mentioned the “open door “. I’m a firm believer in that principle. If these folks ask you to serve, knowing your beliefs, maybe God will use you to help them understand the way of God more perfectly. This might be a great opportunity for both of you. Acts Enthusiast
8/26/19 8:47 am

Post Some thoughts... Aaron Scott
If you are leading worship in an anointed manner, you won’t have to preach Pentecost, I imagine. It will be obvious that there is a difference. The spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet.

What about a keyboard that can transpose keys? Let Sister Ab know that a certain song will be in the key of F, and she will need to simply drop a couple of steps...all while playing (in terms of finger position) in her favorite key.
8/28/19 8:47 am

Post Re: Some thoughts... Resident Skeptic
Aaron Scott wrote:
If you are leading worship in an anointed manner, you won’t have to preach Pentecost, I imagine. It will be obvious that there is a difference. The spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet.

You and I are on the same page here. They don't even have to know anything about the "anointing" at first. God will make himself known.

What about a keyboard that can transpose keys? Let Sister Ab know that a certain song will be in the key of F, and she will need to simply drop a couple of steps...all while playing (in terms of finger position) in her favorite key.

You see, how is that a "professional" pianist with 37 years experience does not get this? I presented a research report at one of our church assemblies concerning the qualifications of the candidate that proved reading music really is not necessarily a must in order to have an incredible music ministry. I cited several examples of people I personally know. Chord charts are really making things easy for beginners. When I presented this to the church, she stood up in the back and tried to interupt me. The chairman called her out of order and asked her to be seated. When she finally had her turn, she rejected any idea of paying someone who cannot thoroughly read music.

Rolling Eyes
8/28/19 9:54 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic