Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I see how this works

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I see how this works Darrell Garrett
Seems rather funny that the PB can preach across denominational lines and is applauded but my credentials are taken for pastoring outside the denomination. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/17/19 9:38 am

Post Cojak
Yes, as a member of the COG, I have noticed this disparity. I think they look at it as _____(I hate it that age has stolen words from my small vocabulary) meaning improving relationships.

I know COG ministers who have filled in as interim pastors for Episcopal and Baptist churches in North Carolina with no repercussions, for up to a year. Evidently could have continued.

And then I hear of others who have been chastised for even thinking about it. WE do really have a glaring contradiction in enforcement. Crying or Very sad

We lost a good preacher to the Congregational Holiness for that very reason. He now pastors full time in the CH movement. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/17/19 10:12 am

Post Darrell... Aaron Scott
I absolutely believe that a Church of God minister in good standing, so long as he holds and adheres to Church of God doctrine and the such, fulfilling his reporting requirements, etc., ought to be able to preach wherever the Lord leads him.

Yes, it would be ideal if that minister did seek to bring new congregations into the Church of God. But even if that didn't happen or wasn't an option, WHY IN THE WORLD would we want to confine a COG minister to the Church of God when he/she might not otherwise have many suitable opportunities to preach, teach, minister, or pastor? And even if, as in your case, he did have opportunities to minister in the Church of God, what about him following the Spirit's leading to another church body?

Yes, if the minister no longer is following the requirements of COG ministers, then it's understandable if the COG cuts him loose. But otherwise, what purpose is served? All we did was get rid of someone who may have been utterly faithful for DECADES!

I say that if we want to truly "salt" the earth with Church of God preaching and doctrine, we allow ministers to preach anywhere the Lord opens the door, SO LONG AS THEY DO IT WITHOUT COMPROMISE.

>>>>>

Darrell, it came to me as I was finishing this post that the independent church (if I recall your story correctly) may have a "history" with the Church of God. That is, maybe they or their pastor or what have you were in conflict with the Church of God, and the COG felt like it would be "rewarding bad behavior" to permit you to go there. Is that possible? Even though I think you should still have been permitted to go, that MAY be part of the reason, I don't know.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/17/19 12:58 pm

Post Re: I see how this works FLRon
Darrell Garrett wrote:
Seems rather funny that the PB can preach across denominational lines and is applauded but my credentials are taken for pastoring outside the denomination.

Bro. Garrett,
Forgive me for saying this in the manner in which I'm going to say it as I mean no disrespect towards you. The things you have only recently had your eyes opened to have been going on for a long,long time. You've been on the other side for so long that you couldn't see it, much like the old saying about not being able to see the forrest for the trees.

The COG was and is still a good organization. It was and is very far from perfect because it is led by imperfect men. To you and I everything should be black and white,but that is not always the case,and I'm not convinced it really can be.

Take the Minutes for example. One would be very naive to believe that everything in them is applied exactly the same for every individual and their unique situation. The Minutes are at best a guideline,yet we all know that no set of guidelines exist that can cover every scenario.

I said all of that simply to say that you had the misfortune of falling into the hands of an AB who chose to interrupt the "rules" in a manner that left you on the outside looking in. While this is unfortunate for you,there are far more people than you realize who have been down this road before you. And many of them are flourishing.

My suggestion is to take heart in knowing that God's calling is far greater and of much greater importance than any man issued credentials. They do not validate you...He does!
7/17/19 1:45 pm

Post Darrell Garrett
Quote:
Darrell, it came to me as I was finishing this post that the independent church (if I recall your story correctly) may have a "history" with the Church of God. That is, maybe they or their pastor or what have you were in conflict with the Church of God, and the COG felt like it would be "rewarding bad behavior" to permit you to go there. Is that possible? Even though I think you should still have been permitted to go, that MAY be part of the reason, I don't know.

There is, in fact, a "history" and one that needs to be told, but it's not mine to tell, so I won't. Pastor Keith Moore has written to the EC concerning it and he received a letter telling him that the case was turned over to our state liaison who would be in touch. That's been a few months ago and no contact has been made. I'll leave it at that. If Keith wants to share the story, he can. I'll just say the whole thing stinks from beginning to end.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/17/19 2:59 pm

Post Darrell...if I am elected General Overseer, I will be happy to reinstate you. Aaron Scott
Just don't forget to remind me! Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/17/19 2:59 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic