Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

When was the last time you read through the Minutes and checked your church for compliance?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Dave Dorsey
But, I figure most guys know if they're sidestepping the Minutes on doctrine.

I'm curious if folks check up on the little things, or if the AB does.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/13/19 10:54 pm

Post Cojak
Now I am wondering if any denomination or organization of religious beliefs (fellowships) have a sort of 'policeforce' to check on compliance. We all know an AB cannot KNOW what is a practice in a local church unless he is there for awhile. His 'office responsibilities alone would prevent this.

We attended 'First Assembly of Lancaster' this AM. Somehow I doubt is anyone checks on them. ......BTW we had a great service, but the same pattern is there as in most older fundamental churches, the church seats about 600, beautiful well kept ediface but just over a hundred enthusiastic attendees. The pastor did a very good job and I was blessed by the sermon! Cool

By getting there early we were greeted by many including the pastor and his wife. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/14/19 1:16 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
It seems like something that would have to be done on the honor system. I can only see an AB realistically getting involved if the deviation pertained to doctrine or ethics. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/14/19 1:50 pm

Post Cojak
Dave Dorsey wrote:
It seems like something that would have to be done on the honor system. I can only see an AB realistically getting involved if the deviation pertained to doctrine or ethics.

BUT someone at that church would have to iniatiate a complaint . When I was very young and ignorant I agreed to make a complaint at the urging of a retired minister that I really respected. The state overseer, Bro Stallings, set up a meeting. He had contacted several people to interview during his investigation.. The overseer told me when I was interviewed (last) no one (even the retiree) felt there was a diviation or that anyone suspected the pastor of an affair. Of course nothing was done on the word of a VERY (ignorant) young Exhorter.

Truth is the pastor was moved in a couple months. Within a year he was caught by a cleaning guy on the couch in the very act of intercourse with a church member in the church office. So as a member I am not sure I would iniatiate 'any' complaint. LOL Embarassed Embarassed
7/14/19 3:47 pm

Post Bro Bob
Well, I have just read all the responses. And there are a lot of other things being discussed. I really like the "who is asking?" part. Assume an atheist is asking and just answer honestly???

But I have yet to see anyone answer a reasonable question:

Q) Are we duty bound to follow the Minutes when they are specific re: church operations?

Q) How are we doing at that?

I know the answers to both.

So does everyone who has read this.
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
7/15/19 9:28 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Thanks for getting us back to the issue, Bro Bob! I appreciate your analysis. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/15/19 11:24 am

Post Money and numbers famousflavius
As long as the money keeps flowing in, and the numbers dont dip, nobody cares. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
7/16/19 8:07 am

Post Dave..... Belieber
Dave, I would hate to be your Pastor. Hey, DOC
7/22/19 11:45 pm

Post Re: Dave..... Dave Dorsey
Belieber wrote:
Dave, I would hate to be your Pastor.

Ahh, I think we'd get along great. Laughing
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/23/19 3:14 am

Post Tom Sterbens
Really good discussion question...

10-12 years ago it sort of got me in trouble when I started asking the same question concerning COG leadership - I'm sure I probably still have some of those letters/posts/articles around. Smile I asked the question: "Which words do we really mean?" I'll depart from that topic and move along... Smile

You will also notice there are portions that even appear to be internally conflictive with each other. When I asked about that (again, 10 years ago) the answer I was given is that they are left that way intentionally so there is elasticity and flexibility in interpretation. In the end that unspoken "flexibility" clause can certainly be abused...however, it seems the general disposition of COG leadership is to allow flexibility for each local church to operate within the broader boundary of "the spirit of the law" as opposed to "the letter of the law."
I think that is a good thing.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
7/23/19 8:15 am

Post Cojak
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Really good discussion question...

.... I asked the question: "Which words do we really mean?" I'll depart from that topic and move along... Smile

You will also notice there are portions that even appear to be internally conflictive with each other. When I asked about that (again, 10 years ago) the answer I was given is that they are left that way intentionally so there is elasticity and flexibility in interpretation. In the end that unspoken "flexibility" clause can certainly be abused...however, it seems the general disposition of COG leadership is to allow flexibility for each local church to operate within the broader boundary of "the spirit of the law" as opposed to "the letter of the law."
I think that is a good thing.

I like this Tom, not just the 'quoted' thoughts but your take also. yes it does seem good to me as I read it. Cool

BUT when you are a crossed T and dotted i person like my wife, it is VERY hard to handle. Embarassed
7/23/19 2:15 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic