Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

60 Teenagers Vandalize a Walgreens
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Resident Skeptic
skinnybishop wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
I dealt with that. The denunciation is muted for fear of ridicule from militants in their own community. You are very naive.

So, if someone asked a black person about this story, he might say something like "You had some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides?" Is that sort of what you're saying here?

Corporate racial guilt for thee, but not for me.

There's a word for that, too.

If you asked a black person about this story, here is what you would hear from many:

"Blacks destroying a store is no worse than whites destroying families, through the slave trade"

I've had these types of conversations. There are many who feel that bad behavior today is justified, because of racism and slavery yesterday.

Or many feel that looting a store "evens the score" for "white privilege".

Slavery and white privilege excuse everything.

Ah, but you see, you live a stark sense of reality on this matter, unlike Dave Dorsey.
7/15/19 6:55 am

Post Dave Dorsey
skinnybishop wrote:
If you asked a black person about this story, here is what you would hear from many:

"Blacks destroying a store is no worse than whites destroying families, through the slave trade"

I've had these types of conversations. There are many who feel that bad behavior today is justified, because of racism and slavery yesterday.

I guarantee you I'm friends with way more black people than you are (not saying that makes my views more legitimate, just stating a fact) and not one would hold this position. To a man and a woman they would and have furiously condemned this behavior.

I don't doubt that you've had interactions like this. But having a couple of isolated interactions and then casting them onto an entire race... there's a word for that.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/15/19 7:54 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Again, you just parrot the spin from the media. I will assume you do not know the true context of the "good people on both sides" remark. Or perhaps you DO know the context, but simply to not give a hoot about the truth.

Sure, white people get the benefit of nuance and context. Black people who condemn stuff like this but also reference the historical and current sociopolitical factors that contribute toward it are muting their denunciations.

There's a word for that.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/15/19 7:59 am

Post skinnybishop
Dave Dorsey wrote:
skinnybishop wrote:

I guarantee you I'm friends with way more black people than you are (not saying that makes my views more legitimate, just stating a fact) and not one would hold this position. To a man and a woman they would and have furiously condemned this behavior.

I don't doubt that you've had interactions like this. But having a couple of isolated interactions and then casting them onto an entire race... there's a word for that.

I think you better back up my brother. If you point out where I cast an opinion on an entire race, I'll send you $100.
7/15/19 8:32 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Sorry... taking a few isolated interactions and casting those perspectives onto "many" people who share the same skin color. Is that better?

Still the same word.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/15/19 8:44 am

Post skinnybishop
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Sorry... taking a few isolated interactions and casting those perspectives onto "many" people who share the same skin color. Is that better?

Still the same word.

What I said is true, whether you like it or not. Its true whether there is a word for that or not.

That attitude is real and more prevalent than you realize. Just because YOU haven't experienced it, from your "many black friends", doesn't mean it isn't there.

Finally your position is the very definition of a straw-man argument. "taking few isolated incidents"? How many interactions have I had? Do you have any idea? Have I had 3 or 30? How many is a few? What gives you the ability to define my experiences?

You built the straw-man and knocked it down. Nice job.
7/15/19 9:17 am

Post skinnybishop
Dave Dorsey wrote:

Still the same word.

Sorry.....I'll change the word from "many" to "some"

Is that better?
7/15/19 9:29 am

Post Dave Dorsey
skinnybishop wrote:

Is that better?

Is saying "here's what you would hear from some" better than falsely and racistly claiming that "here's what you would hear from many"?

Yes, it is. Thank you.

Now, maybe we can get back to talking about why the "many" apparently need to answer for this, if it's only "some" who hold a view like this.

If you talked to "some" white people about Charlottesville, you'd hear roaring support. That doesn't mean white people are responsible for it or need to answer for it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/15/19 9:36 am

Post skinnybishop
Dave Dorsey wrote:
skinnybishop wrote:

Is that better?

Is saying "here's what you would hear from some" better than falsely and racistly claiming that "here's what you would hear from many"?

Yes, it is. Thank you.

I've heard it from many, that's why I used the word. That is not racist, that's reality. If you don't believe me, then try a little experiment: Publicly criticize these "youth" for vandalizing this store. Suggest that they be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Do so on something like a local news facebook page...where lots of people can see your position.....people you don't know.

See how long it takes before slavery and white privilege come up.
7/15/19 9:46 am

Post Dave Dorsey
I suspect you've had these conversations with people who do condemn the actions unequivocally, while also noting that it's unwise to ignore the sociopolitical factors that contribute to events like this, and calling for those to be addressed as well.

Discussing the issue as something broader than "bad people do bad things" is not discounting the actions based on white privilege and the past history of slavery. Mentioning other factors does not mean people are muting their denunciations or are unwilling or afraid to call a spade a spade.

That's typically what I've seen -- as this is not my first time at this rodeo, nor my first time interacting with people white or black, friends or people I don't know, concerning these issues.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/15/19 9:49 am

Post skinnybishop
Dave Dorsey wrote:
The plural of anecdote is not "data".

But I suspect you've had these conversations with people who did condemn the actions unequivocally, while also noting that it's unwise to ignore the sociopolitical factors that contribute to events like this, and calling for those to be addressed as well.

Discussing the issue as something broader than "bad people do bad things" is not discounting the actions based on white privilege and the past history of slavery.

That's typically what I've seen -- as this is not my first time at this rodeo, nor my first time interacting with people white or black concerning these issues.

Wow. So you just presumed details of MY conversations....because you are experienced in race relations (lots of black friends and all). You just INVENTED a conversation and its contents.

I'm done. Have a good day.
7/15/19 10:08 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Sorry if you feel it's unfair. Just like you say you have interacted with "many" black people who have communicated the perspective you've described, I've communicated with "many" southern white gentlemen who sound just like yourself and all have one thing in common.

If you're the exception, then you do deserve an apology from me. But like you, I'm simply working off of the experiences I've had, and in my experience the folks who talk about this issue like you have all share one thing in common.

If that approach is good enough for black people, it should be good enough for you too.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/15/19 10:21 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Sorry if you feel it's unfair. Just like you say you have interacted with "many" black people who have communicated the perspective you've described, I've communicated with "many" southern white gentlemen who sound just like yourself and all have one thing in common.

If you're the exception, then you do deserve an apology from me. But like you, I'm simply working off of the experiences I've had, and in my experience the folks who talk about this issue like you have all share one thing in common.

If that approach is good enough for black people, it should be good enough for you too.

So, did part of your programming include excruciating pain if you try to resist spouting this PC nonsense?
7/15/19 11:57 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Thinking that all people groups should be regarded the same way (as individuals & worthy of receiving the same consideration of nuance and context) = PC nonsense?

Yup... there's a word for that!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/15/19 12:00 pm

Post What Racism IS...and what it is NOT.... Aaron Scott
I don't think what Trump said to some women of color was racist at all. If they had come form ENGLAND, and were pure Anglo-Saxon, the sentiment could have been the same. Namely, he was saying, "Look, if you don't like our country, go back to where you came from." (And if they are American born, it seems to me that Trump is saying that the attitudes they have are similar to those who come from the country they trace from...and if they don't care for America, go back "home" and fix it first.)

I have to say that I'm not actually AT ALL in disagreement with this. If someone burns the American flag, but are 10th generation Americans, I would STILL invite them to go somewhere else--especially a country that hates America and its values--and see how much better they like it there.

As for these black youth, consider that some news reports will not even mention that, apparently, every single one of these young people were African American. You would think that might be something that could have been fairly included. But everyone has gotten so afraid of the R-word that they will stumble all over themselves to not even remotely say that the Emperor is naked.

Is there truth that a good many blacks would "justify"--at least to some degree--that actions of these youths. I think it's a fair take to say yes. Why? Because if they aren't outraged enough by it to speak out, then that at least tells you something (of course, that something might be that they fear retribution).

Many of us were livid when Palestinians cheered on 9-11. And we were also upset that it did not seem that the Muslim community was quite as upset as we were (which, to be fair, that may have been due to outright fear--just wanting to keep their heads down at such a volatile moment).

Just as truth can never be considered slander, neither can truth ever be racist. It may be CALLED racist in an attempt to shut it down, but it's not racist.

If we did a massive study and found, say, that African Americans had higher IQs than Native Americans, it would not be racist to point that out. It might have been wiser to just say nothing, but it's not racist.

It's not racist to say that blacks are better athletes, on average, than whites. It's just true--and the NFL, NBA, and, increasingly MLB show this to be the case. It is also not racist to say that whites DOMINATE the sport of curling.

What we do have to watch is making assumptions that that are not justified (e.g., MOST black people would say...." Well, maybe they would, but maybe they wouldn't).
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/15/19 2:08 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Thinking that all people groups should be regarded the same way (as individuals & worthy of receiving the same consideration of nuance and context) = PC nonsense?

Yup... there's a word for that!

There is nothing "racist" about pointing out group tendencies. As Aaron pointed out, it is really more to do with culture than race. There is nothing inherent in black youth that causes them to form flash mobs and attack innocent white people, Asians and others.
7/15/19 2:24 pm

Post Society is crumbling famousflavius
Another argument for the mark of the beast is that it would cut down on this kind of crime. If all of these kids were chipped or marked they could not do this kind of thing and get away with it. Did a bus drop all of these little innocents off at the front door so they could run in an get some candy? That's a large group of children without adult supervision. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
7/15/19 2:29 pm

Post Re: Society is crumbling Resident Skeptic
famousflavius wrote:
Another argument for the mark of the beast is that it would cut down on this kind of crime. If all of these kids were chipped or marked they could not do this kind of thing and get away with it. Did a bus drop all of these little innocents off at the front door so they could run in an get some candy? That's a large group of children without adult supervision.

Where are the David Wilkersons who will go into these communities? The Cross and the Switchblade always comes to mind when I see these kids.
7/15/19 3:49 pm

Post good question famousflavius
The days of people like David Wilkerson went out with tube socks and the hula hoop. Guaranteed 6 figure salary including health care, housing and body guards are required for anyone to consider that gig. Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
7/15/19 4:19 pm

Post Cojak
i am reading comments and replies, some make sense to me. some do not. All these approaches (or most) have to do with our region, age and up bringing. I learned about integration in the military. A few years before segregation was challenged down south.
I am not the first to say I look at race very different than I did when I was 17. I challenge anyone who says relations are no better now than in the 50s. THEY are 150% better from my eyes. Yes there was a stench in black nostrils for the way they were treated. Up until the 1960s a black person could not own property or rent in Valdese, NC. They could not be in town or the walk the streets after 6PM. I am sure that was not an isolated case. There were many other reasons a person of African blood could hold resentment. There was absolutely no mixed marriages nor inner racial dating.

THAT HAS CHANGED. there was a lot of rough roads until now, but my feelings are that we do accept each other much better. There are inner racial marriages and dating even in my family.

YES I watched that video. I did not see one white guy there. I don't think they should be sent to jail, it ain't worked well up to now. But I do think they should be held accountable sentenced to public service, classes etc.

I do not know the answers, I know Christ is the answer, but you cannot force salvation. Do other races do this? No, but the rich kids in fraternities and sororities do worse many times in their requirements to join. One could probably do a search and prove equally bad actions but in a different light.
I'm rambling but also am 'double-minded' about the problem.

you do not know EN1 Cornelius Rogers my next door neighbor in Cuba. I was visiting in his home and saw a record album on the shelf, "Uncle Remus".
"Hey Corn, I like that one."
"You wouldn't like that one Jack! The Tar Babies are different." WE were good friends but he would always be black and I would always be white. Our back ground very different.

Our children were different, they were raised in another world, more acceptance was apparent. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/15/19 5:46 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic