Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Disprove Calvinism with Scritpure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Well thanks for that OTCP brotherjames
I mean Dave. And as you know by now, not a WoF but do agree with some of their teaching especially on healing. Acts-celerater
6/22/19 4:49 pm

Post All in good fun!!! Dave Dorsey
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/25/19 5:28 am

Post Da Sheik
Dave : Laughing

Every "'ism" has its inherent flaws. There is so much mystery concerning the sovereignty of God, even Paul was inspired to say these words:

Rom 11:33  O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! 

This btw comes at the end of a discourse about election.
Acts Enthusiast
6/25/19 8:54 am

Post Disproving Calvinism... Aaron Scott
If God ever repented for making man, that would seem to be definitive proof that God had not DETERMINED that man fall.

Or else He does not know the future.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/25/19 9:23 am

Post Re: Disproving Calvinism... Dave Dorsey
Aaron Scott wrote:
If God ever repented for making man, that would seem to be definitive proof that God had not DETERMINED that man fall.

Or else He does not know the future.

Your dichotomy here actually demonstrates the opposite. Would you agree that God foreknew the fall? Certainly almost all Christians would.

Can an event that God foreknows possibly change? It cannot. If He has foreknown an event, then it is necessary and certain that the event will occur in accordance with what He has already foreknown. That does not mean that the decisions that people make leading up to that event are not free. It does not mean their decisions are not made willingly. It simply means that they are necessary, and will occur.

The only way around this is for God to not know the future.

If God does not know the future and was surprised by the fall, then your argument against this sort of soft determinism can stand. Otherwise, it is not possible that the decisions in the story could have been made any differently. Again, it is important to understand that this simple reality does not violate the integrity of free choice or creature will. It simply demonstrates that all choices and decisions will necessarily follow what God has already foreseen.

Whether foreseeing is the same as foreordaining is unanswerable, in my opinion, and the answer wouldn't change the practical reality of God's sovereignty anyway.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/25/19 9:53 am

Post Dave Dorsey
This gets to what Da Sheik brilliantly said above.

We are discussing two "isms" that attempt to square some of the circles I just described. If we are humble, we must conclude that our "isms" for these subjects are the best guesses of finite minds.

We must hold our "isms" in humility, discuss the differences of our "isms" in charity, and stand together in unity with awe of the unsearchable infinity of the God who has saved us.

Last edited by Dave Dorsey on 6/25/19 11:05 am; edited 2 times in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/25/19 10:27 am

Post Dave... Aaron Scott
Well, I am, at least partially, a proponent of open theism. So there's that.

But the issue with Calvinism is that we wind up with a God who is more cruel than ANY GOD ever known to mankind. Satanists. Aztecs. Olmecs. You name it.

Consider that Calvinism holds that God has PREDETERMINED that certain people will go to hell and burn and be in torment forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever....

There is NOTHING they can do. They either will be predetermined to not even WANT to be saved...or, if not, then even if they want to be saved, and even if they think they are saved, they are not saved.

Even Satan isn't that evil. He TRIES to get people to go to hell. But God, according to Calvinism, DETERMINES they perhaps THOUSANDS of years before they were even born.

Then, we also wind up with a God who will predetermine a good man to go to hell...while He may decide that Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Attila go to heaven.

We think God is good NOT only as an article of faith, but because we UNDERSTAND Him to be good. That is, we see and read and believe Him to be good because we perceive Him as doing good things and being good. That is, we do not define Him as good just because He is God, but because we believe He "acts" good.

If we claim that God is good, even if He does what is, according to our own moral understandings, utterly evil, then good and evil no longer have meaning. That is, we shouldn't say ANYTHING is good or ANYTHING is evil, since we clearly don't know good or evil when we see it.

We claim that human sacrifice is evil. Why? God's determination that many will go to hell is clearly FAR MORE EVIL and ETERNAL than human sacrifice. Five minutes of suffering vs. five trillion years of torment is an easy calculation.

Further, we can't claim human sacrifice is evil since, apparently, that is what God WILLED that they do. So we wind up with a contradiction of sorts: It's evil because, well, it's human sacrifice, but it's good because God WANTED it done.

And the whole "God is not willing that any should perish" will NOT work for the claim that it was written to Christians. First, it's pretty much (as I indicated before) a tautology along the lines of "God is not willing that you should perish...because He's not willing that you should perish."

Further, NO ONE KNOWS who He's speaking to, since even if they think they are saved, they may not actually be saved. On Judgment Day, the get the most evil surprise in human conception: I'm going to hell to burn forever.

Calvinism has it's points and its scriptures, but it begins to falter as we examine it more closely. We are asked to explain why Allah is evil since terrorists blow up innocent people, but Jehovah is good when He PREDETERMINES people go to hell FOREVER!

Further, if God is predetermining people to heaven or hell, with there being nothing they can do to exert influence on the outcome, the God COULD predetermine EVERYONE to be saved. Yet this wonderful, loving, kind, generous God instead WANTS to burn millions in hell forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever....

If people were drowning and you COULD save all of them, but don't, how is that good for the ones who drowned and their families? "You mean that you COULD have saved them all, but you simply chose not to?"

A Calvinist might reply, "Yes, but God knew how those people would turn out before they were even born, and so rightly determined them to hell." Well, God is the one who PREDETERMINED how they would be.

You would think at the end of everything, since everyone did what God wanted, it would be like a cast party where the people who played the good guys and the people who played the bad guys would celebrate together, since it was only a role they were playing (and could not HELP playing).

But no. Calvinism's God apparently NEEDS to send people to hell for...what?

If I thought that Calvinism were true, I would not serve that God. I'd just worship the sun or rivers or something. Why? Because that God, according to all I know about evil, is evil. Further, I could never fully trust that God. After all, I might think I'm saved. I might make great sacrifices to live in a way that I understand to be in accord with God's will. But then I might find out that, oops, sorry, you should have had all the fun you wanted before now, since it's just hell from here on out.

No way to trust a God like that. After all, He has already deceived us by making us think we have some degree of free will...or that we are saved, etc.

And thank God we don't serve one like that!

(Of course, the pure determinist would argue that I am making this argument because it was determined that I do so.)

For the same reasons I wouldn't serve the Aztec gods, Satan, or Allah--because they are cruel and evil--I wouldn't serve Calvin's God. They good news is that I should live EXACTLY LIKE I WANT TO! Why? Because I can't do anything that would save me...or anything that would cause me to be lost. So eat, drink, be merry, for tomorrow we burn in hell forever. Or maybe go to heaven. Who knows?
6/25/19 10:28 am

Post Dave Dorsey
All of these objections apply equally to a God who permits people to freely choose Hell. He absolutely has the ability to make Himself known to each and every person who has ever lived and to reveal His glory and goodness in a way that would preclude any rational person from choosing to oppose Him.

He doesn't. He chooses not to. He lets people go to Hell. And you can say all of the exact same things about Him for making that decision that you say above.

Sorry Aaron. It's not that simple.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/25/19 10:31 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Also, Aaron, it seems obvious that you don't really understand reformed theology. I say that with all due respect. RC Sproul's "What Is Reformed Theology?" would be a good read, even if you emerge from it even stronger in your disagreements.

"Then, we also wind up with a God who will predetermine a good man to go to hell...while He may decide that Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Attila go to heaven."

That's not how any of this works, lol. I would hope all of us would agree that if Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Atilla had come to Christ in an expression of genuine faith and repentance that we would be glad to see them in Heaven.

You seems to think that Calvinism means you find out if you're saved or not when you die. And, I appreciate that assurance is a complicated topic regardless of your "ism". But you seem to think one's life on earth is completely detached from God's "choice" for them. They could live a life of total wickedess and die and find out, hey, lucky day, you're elect! Or live a life of faith and hope in Christ and then die to find out, nope, sorry, not elect.

That's not what any Calvinist believes. Respectfully, I think you owe your brothers the respect of having a basic understanding of the topic before you rail so strongly against it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/25/19 10:37 am

Post Dave Dorsey
BTW, I'm not saying "hurrr if you would just learn about calvinism you would be a calvinist", so please don't hear me saying that.

I just think we should all make an effort to understand what people believe, and to fairly characterize those beliefs.

Peace to you!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/25/19 11:00 am

Post Dave.... Aaron Scott
Dave Dorsey wrote:
All of these objections apply equally to a God who permits people to freely choose Hell. He absolutely has the ability to make Himself known to each and every person who has ever lived and to reveal His glory and goodness in a way that would preclude any rational person from choosing to oppose Him.

No they do not apply equally. Because, at the very, very, very least, they don't HAVE to go to hell. Apparently, per Romans 2, EVEN if they did not know of Jesus beforehand.

He doesn't. He chooses not to. He lets people go to Hell. And you can say all of the exact same things about Him for making that decision that you say above.

It is very different to ALLOW someone to go to hell...and to DETERMINE that they go. It is one thing to allow someone to drive off a cliff due to ignoring all the signs versus MAKING SURE they drive off the cliff, not matter how much they did observe the signs.

Sorry Aaron. It's not that simple.

It kind of is for me. To be fair, yes, I know the more indepth arguments that are raised. But what happens, FOR ME, is that they still all come back to these things I have raised. Namely, that God WANTS people to go to hell. He WANTS people to be unsaved. Etc.

6/25/19 11:02 am

Post Re: Dave.... Dave Dorsey
Aaron Scott wrote:
It is very different to ALLOW someone to go to hell...and to DETERMINE that they go

The end result is the same -- something could have been done to have changed it, and wasn't.

I'm not sure I see the difference between determining something (which I don't necessarily affirm, btw) and determining to allow something. I'm not sure the folks in Hell see much difference either.

Also, again:

"versus MAKING SURE they drive off the cliff, [no] matter how much they did observe the signs." -- nope. Not Calvinism.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/25/19 11:10 am

Post Aaron Scott
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Also, Aaron, it seems obvious that you don't really understand reformed theology. I say that with all due respect. RC Sproul's "What Is Reformed Theology?" would be a good read, even if you emerge from it even stronger in your disagreements.

Dave, I think I do understand it. However, I can never get past the simple objections that I have raised in the other post. There's no need for a dissertation on the matter when those things I mentioned are already dealbreakers for me.

I have spent upward of 30 years I suppose debating the matter with a pretty-much dyed in the wool Calvinist. And outside of accepting that SOME people are predetermined (and that NONE are predetermined to hell), I have never gotten beyond where I started.

"Then, we also wind up with a God who will predetermine a good man to go to hell...while He may decide that Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Attila go to heaven."

That's not how any of this works, lol. I would hope all of us would agree that if Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Atilla had come to Christ in an expression of genuine faith and repentance that we would be glad to see them in Heaven.

I submit that that is how it works, since it is not based on a person's own freewill, but on God's predeterminations. Nothing a person does, good or bad, changes the outcome. Hence, a saved person acting like a NBF, is still saved. And an NBF going to the altar, confessing their sins, repenting, and the such, is still lost. I just put it in stronger language.

You seems to think that Calvinism means you find out if you're saved or not when you die. And, I appreciate that assurance is a complicated topic regardless of your "ism". But you seem to think one's life on earth is completely detached from God's "choice" for them. They could live a life of total wickedess and die and find out, hey, lucky day, you're elect! Or live a life of faith and hope in Christ and then die to find out, nope, sorry, not elect.

Dave, my thing is that NOTHING I CAN DO will either cause me to be saved...or cause me to be lost. So (assuming I would have the freedom to do so), the best play is to live exactly as you wish, since it cannot help nor hurt your eternal situation.

That is, no matter how good I live, if I am not predestined to be saved, I will go to hell (EVEN if I went to church, prayed in the altars, and THOUGHT I was saved--the same can apply to non-Calvinists too, of course).

On the other hand, if I "got saved" in the Calvinist model, then no matter how I live, I cannot become unsaved. Yes, the claim is that if I'm really saved, I will act saved, which is PRECISELY HOW ARMINIANISM sees it. So if there's no difference--i.e., if acting unsaved means you ARE unsaved--then eternal security is just a fancy word for "actually getting saved."

Eternal security means nothing if it doesn't mean that you CANNOT fall away. And if you cannot fall away, then, unless God has predetermined that you will always conduct yourself like a good Christian, then it stands to reason it means that DESPITE HOW YOU ACT, you are saved. If that's not what it means, they we need to adjust our definitions or just accept the current Church of God model.

6/25/19 11:54 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Aaron, I respectfully disagree that you are correctly characterizing reformed theology.

Perhaps you are, and I am the one who is mistaken. Either way, if we cannot agree that A = A, there is little point in continuing.

Blessings to you!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/25/19 12:06 pm

Post Da Sheik
Aaron,
Paul anticipated all of your objections to unconditional election. He answers them succinctly in Romans chapter 9. I would encourage you to sit down with an open heart, an open mind, and prayerfully read Romans 9-11 again.
Acts Enthusiast
6/25/19 12:08 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
I will say this:

Quote:
Yes, the claim is that if I'm really saved, I will act saved, which is PRECISELY HOW ARMINIANISM sees it. So if there's no difference--i.e., if acting unsaved means you ARE unsaved--then eternal security is just a fancy word for "actually getting saved."

I absolutely agree that in many areas the practical, orthopraxic implications of Arminianism and Calvinism are exactly the same. This is something that strong adherents on both sides would do well to remember.

There are a number of nuances I could pick at regarding the statement here, but in the main, I can absolutely affirm it. Both Calvinism and Arminianism affirm that people willingly choose Christ*, and if that faith is sincere, they will live lives that reflect the reality of that choice as they grow closer and closer to spending eternity with Him.

* Seriously! They really do.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/25/19 12:09 pm

Post Dave... Aaron Scott
I, too, note that OSAS and Arminianism are often semantic difference, rather than actual ones. For instance, the Arminian says "You are not saved because you live in adultery," while the Calvinist would say "You were never saved, because if you had been, you would not be living in adultery."

At the end of the day, BOTH agree that a person is unsaved. As far as the rest, we have no way of actually knowing the correct theology, just that both accept the person as being unsaved.

Of course, we aren't going to solve it. I have come to think that some people can accept Calvinism and others simply cannot (me, for instance). I don't know if this is where it starts, but I think that some "need" to hold that God is fully in charge of everything that happens, nothing happens by accident, etc. While others (like me) are good with there being a greater degree of freedom.

For instance, some have to hold that there is some purpose God is working out when a child is murdered. I appreciate that, since it is virtually impossible to handle otherwise, I imagine. Others are good with believing that God allows it to happen because it is a fallen world...but will still work it to our good.

It's a mess at trying to determine motivating forces in theology, but each of us accepts what best sits with our a prior understanding of the universe, I suppose. And if, in truth, we are all saying pretty much the same thing--that saved people act saved, and if they don't, they aren't saved--we likely make far too much of it.

God bless you.
6/25/19 12:46 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
That's good stuff, Aaron. I largely agree.

In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, in all things charity.

Blessings to you also.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/25/19 12:50 pm

Post Ventureforth
Da Sheik wrote:
Romans 9-11 had always been problematic for me as an Arminian, but I think John 6 was when the proverbial light bulb came on for me.

The Apostle Paul's conversion is also an excellent example of the sovereignty of God in salvation. He was on his way to kill Christians when God apprehended him!

I'm curious. Brother, which verses in Romans 9-22 did you have problems with?

Probably not verses 9:32, 10:9 or 11:11 &23. Smile
Acts-celerater
7/9/19 7:11 pm

Post Ventureforth
18 “Come now, and let us reason together,”
Says the Lord,

“Though your sins are as scarlet,
They will be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They will be like wool.
19 “If you consent and obey,
You will eat the best of the land;
20 “But if you refuse and rebel,
You will be devoured by the sword.”
Truly, the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

It appears to me God is giving them a choice not effectively predetermining their outcome. I keep this in mind when reading Isaiah 6:9-10.

Quote:
‘Keep on listening, but do not perceive;
Keep on looking, but do not understand.’
10 “Render the hearts of this people [e]insensitive,
Their ears dull,
And their eyes [g]dim,
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
Hear with their ears,
Understand with their hearts,
And return and be healed.”

Notice the words "keep on..." God is judicially hardening already hardened hearts. This is like the classical example of Pharoah given by Paul in Romans 9:17. He hardens for a specific purpose and a specific time but not from birth.
By the way, as for Romans 9:22-23 , the article below was very helpful to me.
http://www.evidenceunseen.com/bible-difficulties-2/nt-difficulties/romans-2/rom-922-23-does-god-created-people-only-to-damn-them/

As for John 6, the following verses inform my interpretation:

Quote:
45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught of God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me.

Quote:
51 I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh.”

Quote:
64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was that would [j]betray Him. 65 And He was saying, “For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.”

:For Jesus knew..." It doesn't say anything like "determined."

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread. But I thought I'd share some of my thoughts and reasons for my view in case they are helpful to anyone.
Acts-celerater
7/18/19 8:27 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic