Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Interpret Luke 6:38 but...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Interpret Luke 6:38 but... caseyleejones
Luke 6:38 New International Version (NIV)

38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

Don’t do so in light of what you’ve heard. Don’t do so by saying how you disagree with a preachers interp.

In its purest sense, is it true? For today? Applicable how and what circumstances? What areas? Spiritual only? Natural?
Acts-perienced Poster
6/22/19 3:52 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Luke 6:38 is inspired Scripture and is 100% true and applicable today.

It's also the second half of a thought. In some versions (like the ESV) it's literally the second half of a sentence.

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." (6:37-38, NIV)

Someone once said there are three rules to proper biblical interpretation:

1) Context
2) Context
3) Context

The context shows the "give" here doesn't have anything to do with money. Jesus is telling us we should give forgiveness, mercy, etc. in the way we want God to mete it to us.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/22/19 7:02 am

Post Dave Dorsey
The only reference to material giving in this entire chapter occurs in the context leading up to this passage, as Jesus is setting up the themes of mercy, forgiveness, and compassion for the undeserving.

In verse 30 (NIV), He says, "Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back." And in verse 35, "But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back."

So the only reference to material giving in the entire chapter is in the context of giving to someone who is evil without any expectation of return.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/22/19 7:11 am

Post Da Sheik
I agree with Dave’s exegesis here. Can it apply to finances in a broader context? I suppose it could. The principal of sowing and reaping is established throughout the Old and New Covenants. However, one of the distinguishing marks of Jesus’ ministry was an emphasis on motive. He was concerned, not just with the “what” but the “why”. The Pharisees fasted, prayed, and gave, but their motives were impure.

Barnabas gave, expecting nothing in return. Ananias and Saphira gave with impure motives. Something to consider.
Acts Enthusiast
6/22/19 10:04 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
I think it can apply to all types of giving. However, it doesn't appear that it has to do with giving to a church. Everything else had to do with giving to individual people ... So it appears that is the context...dealing with other people.
6/23/19 4:18 pm

Post Cojak
My dad taught me from a child, give to God. He said you do that by giving to his messenger so he can continue his assigned duty of winning souls. give to the needy. give to the down trodden. Give and he will supply your needs.
I disappointed him when I left the 'preaching' ministry, but I never disappointed him in my dedication to helping others.

I never once thought of my giving was blessing my life. I gave because I thought I should. AND I was blessed beyond my wildest dreams. In my opinion I live better than many of my friends who are millionaires and have much less baggage to drag me down.
Yes I have received so much from God (for giving?) and I cannot EVER remember giving EXPECTING anything in return. I hope I never get to the point that I give to get.!

At this point in life, I cannot see that happening! LOL

Very Happy
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/24/19 8:08 pm

Post Cojak
My dad taught me from a child, give to God. He said you do that by giving to his messenger so he can continue his assigned duty of winning souls. give to the needy. give to the down trodden. Give and he will supply your needs.
I disappointed him when I left the 'preaching' ministry, but I never disappointed him in my dedication to helping others.

I never once thought of my giving was blessing my life. I gave because I thought I should. AND I was blessed beyond my wildest dreams. In my opinion I live better than many of my friends who are millionaires and have much less baggage to drag me down.
Yes I have received so much from God (for giving?) and I cannot EVER remember giving EXPECTING anything in return. I hope I never get to the point that I give to get.!

At this point in life, I cannot see that happening! LOL

Very Happy
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/24/19 8:16 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic