Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

One of the most wicked things I have ever seen - Rod Parsley and the anatomy of a money scam (V)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post One of the most wicked things I have ever seen - Rod Parsley and the anatomy of a money scam (V) Dave Dorsey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uKEQaHToGk

Please, please warn your flocks about guys like this and how they blaspheme God to serve their own greed and lusts.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/16/19 9:03 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
BTW - if the only thing you want to talk about is why I would post something like this, just spare me your post because I'm not going to dignify it with an answer. If you can watch this without your teeth grinding, you do you. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/16/19 9:08 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
And no, I don't agree with what this presenter says about tongues in this video, though I do agree with him that what he is specifically commenting on is illegitimate.

Not do I agree with some other views he has.

Just to get all the potential distractions out of the way.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/16/19 9:26 pm

Post Cojak
Nobody says God's promises are for sale, but some folk come across as teaching just that.
For once I would love to hear something like, "Do you know a widow who is barely making it on her SS?" OR "Find that single mother or dad who is having trouble making ends 'meet'. You will be blessed beyond measure to see their eyes light up as you buy the weeks groceries of bless them with a week's day care."

INSTEAD of send me 'seed money!'

Point..... Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/16/19 10:22 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
I thought the commentator guy was reasonable...sometimes they hate Christianity so much it invalidates their outrage. But this dude was real evenhanded.

It is very sad to me that US Christianity leaders do this. No wonder that Christianity is on the retreat in the U.S. - and seems to have no appeal anymore. It has been traded for money.

Perhaps Jesus said: If you've done it unto the wealthiest ministers as these - you've done it unto me.
6/17/19 6:21 am

Post Didn’t watch the whole thing, but... Aaron Scott
It sounds like they were heading in the wrong direction.

I do, however, agree in “moments.” TODAY is the day of salvation.

Ephraim, armed and carrying boys, turned back in the day of battle.

The troubling of the water.

Events that took place when Jesus passed by.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/17/19 6:24 am

Post Re: Didn’t watch the whole thing, but... Nature Boy Florida
Aaron Scott wrote:

I do, however, agree in “moments.” TODAY is the day of salvation.

Ephraim, armed and carrying boys, turned back in the day of battle.

The troubling of the water.

Events that took place when Jesus passed by.

But now Jesus only passes by the folks that give Parsley a thou.
6/17/19 6:26 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
I thought the commentator guy was reasonable...sometimes they hate Christianity so much it invalidates their outrage. But this dude was real evenhanded.

I agree. He's a Lutheran and a cessationist, but he's not exclusive about it. He considers Bible-believing Pentecostals to be brothers, even if he disagrees with them about the Pentecostal distinctives. I think he is a wonderful brother too.

I wish there were more folks in our camp who were doing stuff like this. Some people will definitely throw this entire video out just because it was presented by a Lutheran.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/17/19 6:49 am

Post Re: Didn’t watch the whole thing, but... Dave Dorsey
Aaron Scott wrote:

Yeah, if you skip to around the 28 minute mark, they start at $10 and $100 but then they put up a graphic talking about how God is calling certain people to give $1,000.

It is beyond me how their consciences can be so seared. Especially someone like Parsley, who was on death's doorstep with cancer and survived it. I don't know how they can sleep at night and not realize they are on course to bust hell wide open.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/17/19 6:51 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Cojak wrote:
For once I would love to hear something like, "Do you know a widow who is barely making it on her SS?" OR "Find that single mother or dad who is having trouble making ends 'meet'. You will be blessed beyond measure to see their eyes light up as you buy the weeks groceries of bless them with a week's day care."

INSTEAD of send me 'seed money!'

Amen, Cojak! That is religion that is pure and undefiled (James 1:27).
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/17/19 8:06 am

Post UncleJD
Some people hear God in miraculous ways often, other of us maybe only a few times in our life. I'm one of the later so far, so those times stand out to me. 30 years after it happened, I still remember the night God spoke to me in a dream about Rod Parsley. A leader in our church announced he was moving to Ohio to be part of his ministry. I really didn't know ANYTHING about him yet so I had no bias at all. I had a dream that I'll never forget, in which a clear and powerful voice said "J... (the leader's name) has followed The Ghoul". I remember sitting straight up and being horrified. I told my brother the next day. Sadly, in a matter of months, that man lost his family and everything he ever had after making that move. I'll never forget it. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/17/19 9:50 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Yikes, UncleJD. Sad

That's one thing that's always struck me about biblical prophecy. When someone received a miraculous word from God in the New Testament it was either a severe correction or a warning that hard times were ahead. Agabus' prophecy to Paul is just one example. Or Christ's revelation to John for the seven churches in Revelation 2 and 3.

I remember when I ran in these circles and would be in a meeting with a big name "prophet". Oh, how I wanted him to prophecy over me! Preacher, preacher, scratch my ear; tell me what I want to hear.

But biblical prophecy is much more like what you experienced.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/17/19 9:59 am

Post diakoneo
I have seen this kind of manipulation by other so-called prophets. One preached in my church a couple of times. He packed the place like no other preacher I ever booked. I finally "wised up" and confronted him on his error in regards to money. I heard him threaten the congregation with "curse" if they spoke openly about the way he received offerings. I showed him his error scripturally and expected repentance. What I saw and heard was hard headedness and refusal to change. I haven't talked to him since then. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/17/19 10:10 pm

Post Cojak
diakoneo wrote:
I have seen this kind of manipulation by other so-called prophets. One preached in my church a couple of times. He packed the place like no other preacher I ever booked. I finally "wised up" and confronted him on his error in regards to money. I heard him threaten the congregation with "curse" if they spoke openly about the way he received offerings. I showed him his error scripturally and expected repentance. What I saw and heard was hard headedness and refusal to change. I haven't talked to him since then.

There are men and women who will self destruct, there is not stopping it. for the body of Christ it can never be too soon. Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/17/19 10:30 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
The fact remains - Parsley is very popular - lots of people watch and hear him.

Why?
6/18/19 7:29 am

Post Patrick Harris

Why?

He is very articulate when he speaks, I believe. In addition, his message is filled with things that we all want to hear, like prosperity, health, no fear.

The main issue is that he mixes just enough truth with error to make it palatable for his audience.
Acts Enthusiast
6/18/19 7:53 am

Post diakoneo

Why?

The guy I knew had a gift. He told me what I had been studying in the bible, though he didn't know me. How did he do that? He knew I was on a fast, though I had told no one but my wife and my closest friend. Again, how did he do that? He knew about my family(daughter in particular) and their temperament. How?

He preached a fairly sound doctrine from the pulpit.
He drew a large crowd. He prophesied only good things over people during altar services. We received a regular offering for him but he always received an extra offering for himself AFTER the altar serve. Telling people to "sow a seed" in his ministry. But one particular night, he gave a stern warning about going against "the prophet" by speaking words against the "sowing a seed" business. It seems other pastors didn't have a problem with this and continue to keep him going. I just couldn't stomach it and moved on. I confronted him about it because I believed God wanted me to and his attitude about was that "I didn't know what I was talking about".

Some of the issues I brought up were, grace, responsibility to judge what is being said by a prophet and what he was doing was unprecedented in the new testament etc.

Unless the body of Christ judges this evil and STOP supporting it, it will continue.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/18/19 8:48 am

Post Dave Dorsey
diakoneo wrote:
I confronted him about it because I believed God wanted me to and his attitude about was that "I didn't know what I was talking about". ... Unless the body of Christ judges this evil and STOP supporting it, it will continue.

God bless you for doing this. This is 100% what pastors need to be doing to care for and protect their flocks.

It's a great question, NBF. I think Patrick raises a great point as well. It's likely that many of the people who follow after him do so because they want the same thing he does.

Paul Washer once said that people who sit under false teachers are not victims, but are being subjected to God's judgment. He said they want the same thing the false teacher wants, and it's not God. I think that statement is too broad to fairly apply to every situation, but there is surely a lot of truth to it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/18/19 11:14 am

Post FLRon
“Unless the body of Christ judges this evil and STOP supporting it, it will continue.”

And therein is the rub, isn’t it? Those setting under Parsley’s teachings have been indoctrinated into a belief system that promises them wealth and prosperity so long as their seed continues to be sown in his ministry. To judge what he does as evil and stop supporting it is tantamount to blasphemy in WHC circles.

It takes a very, very strong person to break away from groups like this, and there are few that do so. WHC is on the same level as Bethel and others of their ilk: a bit of truth mixed in with much heresy and outright lies.

I know many people who have attended his church in Columbus and others who have graduated from his “school”. Living as I did just a short drive away from WHC for a long time, you run into lots of people who are connected to WHC. I’ll just say this: Rod Parsley has a very strong hold on people, and leave it at that.
6/18/19 5:58 pm

Post I watched a few minutes and quit...too long.... caseyleejones
I won't defend Parsley. I don't follow his ministry and would not attend his church. For one, I don't like his style of preaching or that organ in the background when he makes a point. I have listened to maybe a half dozen of his sermons the past 10 years. Why he does not appeal to me is because I am not the screaming preacher type that works people up. I like the content part of the message. At times, he has good content but I don't like muddling through the emotion part. I don't know his motives or his heart on the matter. .... this...

1) I don't believe he is splitting hell wide open
2) I think he loves God and is a brother in Christ
3) I do believe in the message of first fruits and giving as well as sowing and reaping. The Word of God says it. We live it. "You'll be cursed for not tithing....if you miss a week you have to pay an additional 20%....COG camp meeting in Illinois begged and begged and begged during offering time...and one pastor who is a good friend of mine would get angry at times because certain people would not tithe.....are these any better?
4) I think at times ministries get so big or at times ministers visions get so big they begin pressing the envelope and pressured to keep things going then resort to questionable tactics.
5) We all have blind spots and I think some of our planks vary in sizes compared to others.
6) I remember ministers back in the 70's who put a multitude of people in bondage because they led people to believe that eventually God will reject you or you blasphemed the HS. This was rampant at that time. You want to talk about bondage....jeez....it was a nightmare for many. I know one guy who loved God but killed himself who felt God would not forgive him. Many many others thought they blasphemed the HS and lived miserable lives. We are human and God somehow chooses to use imperfect vessels.
7) I don't thing RP is leading people astray. He is not as big as he once was. Most church people don't know him and those who do don't care. Christian TV has kind of gone by the wayside.

But, does that stop me from believing...

1) The gifts are for today and many times happen in our daily routine and not just on Sunday because the Word says so
2) Sowing and Reaping is a biblical principle that extends to all facets of our life including money....
3) God does want his Children to prosper. If you choose not to believe that, it does not make you less spiritual.
4) Healing is for today. We also live in a fallen world and much of our sickness is due to poor choices.
5) Jesus did chastise people for their lack of faith. It is very poor form to chastise others however.....since I need to trust God more, I will focus on myself and not others.
6) Just because someone might be misrepresenting a biblical promise, which I am not saying he is, does not mean it is not true. Our support mainly goes to overseas missions and the local food pantry. We believe God for a reaping and more so we can give more to those ministries.

I am sure someone will take issue with me here. That is fine. It does not change how I believe the Word. For me, I have more pressing things to pursue.
Acts-perienced Poster
6/19/19 5:08 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic