Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

How do you "take back" a denomination?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post How do you "take back" a denomination? Aaron Scott
I am thinking of those churches that have approved homosexual clergy, etc. In several cases, the field was deeply opposed to what the leadership had done/accepted.

ASSUMING it is even possible, how can the conservative side of a denomination take back the reins and purge out the apostasy?

Leaving off the assuming, do you think it is even POSSIBLE for a church to reclaim it's original intent and standards? If you think it's possible, then HOW?

I know that the deeper truth is that God would almost (or altogether) have to work a miracle. But is there any role for those who feel they have been betrayed by a denomination? Is they only way forward to simply pray and hope that God hears? Or are there more concrete steps that can and/or should be taken in conjunction with prayer?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/7/19 4:04 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Spurling tried his best.

Historically speaking it hasn't happened yet.

Don't forget, creating a new work is how the Church of God Cleveland, TN got started.

www.spwc.church
6/7/19 4:14 pm

Post Re: How do you "take back" a denomination? Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
I am thinking of those churches that have approved homosexual clergy, etc. In several cases, the field was deeply opposed to what the leadership had done/accepted. ... Or are there more concrete steps that can and/or should be taken in conjunction with prayer?

I do not see any route that could be taken without further injury caused from the outside, i.e. the politically correct world screaming you are discriminating.
I know folk who wish they could reclaim their denomination..... But they are southerners...... Embarassed and a minority! Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/7/19 9:13 pm

Post If not as a whole, than one by one Mat
Denominations by their very nature are not static when it comes to polity. Again and again we have seen the emergence of "new" movements from old systems, only to see them drift back to becoming a reflection of the old denomination. The Methodist are a great example, as they de-evolved into a reflection of the Anglican Church (Church of England) which they "sprang" from.

If you read Vinson Synan's book on William Seymour you will find in the back of the book a section that gives the polity of the denomination Seymour established after the revival ended. Its very much influenced by the Methodist (where is that denomination today?). Likewise, while pointing to the Christian Union and Spurling with their Baptist roots, it was the influence of the Holiness preachers in the region who influenced the key leaders like Bryant, the Spurlings and AJT. The Holiness Church at Camp Creek, and the other local churches that were represented at the First Assembly in 1906 began the move towards a denominational structure akin to the Methodist model instead of the congregational structure of the Christian Union.

Its hard to tell a Methodist Bishop from an Anglican Bishop now-a-days, and in the future, unless there is purposeful realignment you may not be able to tell a COG Bishop from a Methodist Bishop. Either a denomination consciously and continually works to throw off the "trappings" of the past and not incorporating the polity of the mainstream; or, one by one, member by member and church by church, there will be a departure of the those who are led to the flow of the Spirit.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/8/19 7:29 am

Post sheepdogandy
Yeah, what Mat said. Very Happy

www.spwc.church
6/8/19 11:57 am

Post Re: If not as a whole, than one by one Cojak
Mat wrote:
Denominations by their very nature are not static when it comes to polity. Again and again we have seen the emergence of "new" movements from old systems,...

Its hard to tell a Methodist Bishop from an Anglican Bishop now-a-days, and in the future, unless there is purposeful realignment you may not be able to tell a COG Bishop from a Methodist Bishop. Either a denomination consciously and continually works to throw off the "trappings" of the past and not incorporating the polity of the mainstream; or, one by one, member by member and church by church, there will be a departure of the those who are led to the flow of the Spirit.

Mat

Well said my friend, amazing what TIME and society does to denominations. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/8/19 8:44 pm

Post Re: If not as a whole, than one by one Mat
Cojak wrote:
Mat wrote:
Denominations by their very nature are not static when it comes to polity. Again and again we have seen the emergence of "new" movements from old systems,...

Mat

Well said my friend, amazing what TIME and society does to denominations. Cool

Thanks for the kind words my friend, but perhaps I should balance the concerns with a look at the pit falls of being an independent church. We are in an era of generational change in leadership for independent churches, and while some, like Lakewood and the Osteens can be view as a successful transition, that may be the exception to the rule. On the other end of the scale is Cathedral at Chapel Hill and the Paulks, which are one of the best representations of the excesses of unchecked independent churches.

While not all independent churches are one or the other, there are many which reached their zenith during the founding pastor's leadership and are charting downwards as the next generation leadership tries to project a sustainable vision. The aging and loss of the generation who planted the church, members and pastor, is difficult to over come. With the founding family often being the core "board" the local church faces a time of difficult transition.

This applies to institutions as well, and yes, denominations (like the COG). However, independent churches (and ministries) do not always share the same principles of generational sustainability with a focus on developing new leadership, and viewing the regular and stable transition of leaders as a positive.

As a side note, there has been some discussion as to Copeland and his ministry on the board, but I would ask question, is his ministry sustainable? There are some questions as to the outcomes of the transition in Hagin's ministry to the second generation.

Somewhere in the Bible there has to be an understanding of the New Testament Church which reveals both generational sustainability and doctrinal stability.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/9/19 7:54 am

Post sheepdogandy
The only hope for Independent Churches is a Congregational form of government.

Government in writing, that addresses the possible scenarios.

Including transition from one Presiding Elder to another.

A plurality of Elders, Deacons and Stewards working together to sustain and advance the mission of God's Church.

It works for us.

Since 1989. Very Happy

www.spwc.church
6/9/19 9:19 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic