Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Charisma Mag article on Kenneth Copeland Interview

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Charisma Mag article on Kenneth Copeland Interview zjudah1
He has been criticized by several on here, would like your opinion of this...thank you guys.

Stephen Strang: Why I Applaud Kenneth Copeland's Handling of Inside Edition's Ambush Interview

As a journalist, I understand the media game. So when I saw how Inside Edition did an ambush interview with evangelist Kenneth Copeland—and how it was picked up by the Ft. Worth Star Telegram and Fox News online—I felt I needed to share my opinion. In my view, it was the "same old, same old" journalistic treatment of successful media ministers. At the same time, I believe other Christian leaders should stand with Copeland and let him know we believe he handled the situation well.

Copeland could have closed the door and driven off, and some ministry leaders would have done that. Instead, he answered her questions and talked about spiritual warfare, the Abrahamic covenant, the number of people who have accepted Christ through his ministry and the millions of dollars they give to the poor. To me, it was if he was ministering to a brand-new audience on Inside Edition as he showed respect and love to the reporter, even praying for her by name. (The YouTube video has been viewed by 1.7 million so far plus whoever watched it on TV.) Of course, the media that picked up the story reported none of that and instead only focused on his use of a private airplane.

Kenneth Copeland can speak for himself. He doesn't need me to speak for him, and no one from his ministry asked me to record a podcast or write this newsletter with my insight on how the secular media covers ministries. In my opinion, this type of journalism is so predictable I could write the story and just leave the names blank. I saw this same thing four decades ago when I was in secular journalism.

Then on the other side, I share on my podcast my unscripted thoughts about the integrity I've seen in Copeland and his ministry going back 40 years to when I first interviewed him in 1979. (Listen to the podcast right here or in this article.) I interviewed Copeland while sitting in the back of his prop plane all those decades ago. Charisma highlighted Copeland and his ministry on the cover of our June 1979 issue and explored his message of faith and abundant life—a message he has held to faithfully to this day.

Since that interview 40 years ago, I have watched Copeland conduct his life and ministry with integrity. He has consistently preached the gospel, winning as many as 122 million people to Christ, according to what he said in the interview. His ministry has also given millions of dollars to help the poor—something they couldn't have done if they weren't as big as they are.

Every person I've ever known who works in Copeland's ministry is of high caliber, ethical and honest. I feel at peace with the way Copeland's ministry conducts its affairs—to the extent that I support them financially each month out my own pocket.

But the reporter didn't focus on those good qualities. She focused on one quote from several years ago in which Copeland said he bought his own private plane so that he didn't have to fly "in a long tube with a bunch of demons." Those who know Copeland immediately realized his comment was purposefully a little tongue in cheek. And Copeland made it clear that he wasn't referring to people when he was talking about demons. On the contrary, he emphasized how much he cared about people. Instead, he was talking about the spiritual atmosphere of a public place.

To put it into perspective, he could have said the same thing about Greyhound buses. How many people choose to buy their own cars instead of riding a public form of transportation, despite the lower cost of a bus ticket? We don't question the motives of people who buy their own cars, yet we question the motives of an evangelist who would prefer to fly in his private plane to minister around the world instead of using a public airline.

Although the Inside Edition reporter had no business asking Copeland some of the questions she did, I believe Copeland was still very gracious with her. When she told him that both her grandfathers were poor preachers who would've been appalled at Copeland's lavish lifestyle, he responded with a smile and thanked God for faithful preachers like them.

The bottom line is that this kind of skepticism and criticism is rooted in jealousy. Unfortunately, there are many people who are jealous of successful ministries. I've witnessed the same kind of jealousy in the publishing business and in the media. I've even come to expect this kind of criticism from the secular media, but it's disheartening when it comes from other Christians.

It's also discouraging to see how few believers came to his defense after the interview came out. I believe Christians should speak up and defend Brother Copeland, because if they don't, the secular world will continue to misconstrue and even demonize his words.

So I encourage you to share this article and my podcast on your social media. Tell people that you don't think Inside Edition should have treated Copeland that way. Speak up in defense of the many other Christian leaders the secular media berates and accuses. Be the one who is willing to say that biased ambush journalism is wrong.

To hear more of my personal thoughts on Inside Edition's interview, click here to listen to my "Strang Report" podcast or scroll to the top of this article.
Friendly Face
6/5/19 9:46 am

Post Tom Sterbens
Watched the Inside Edition video HERE

At a minimum I cannot believe someone is not coaching Copeland on the subtleties of engaging the press. Copeland comes off as really sort of weird and creepy. Sidenote: I am not necessarily a "bash-everything-Copeland" person...but the facial expressions, shallow gratutitous affirmations of the reporter, overall body language, choice of terms, kissing her hand at the end, etc. - was just all very thin.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
6/5/19 11:53 am

Post I won't defend the ministry but this I know... caseyleejones
My nephew actually works for the ministry and very high up so my info is first hand....

They are a self sufficient ministry in terms of natural resources. I don't know the details but they have their own power plant and they do sell energy to the power company. They also have their own gun range that the city of Fort Worth uses....I would assume they pay for usage which is likely in the 6 figures. There are other things they do for the community that elude me at the moment....but just some facts...

What you saw was ambush journalism. The idea is to ambush the person to catch them off guard. Inside Edition operates in this. They did it with Paul and Jan Crouch. Eventually the journalist was on TBN.
Acts-perienced Poster
6/5/19 11:54 am

Post Dave Dorsey
When someone refuses any and all of the legitimate questions people have for them, an "ambush" is all that's left. I'm certain Guerrero would have preferred a planned sit-down interview as well. But that will never happen, so fortunately she was brave enough to go to the source to try to get some answers.

Tarring the journalist is not a good look. It's a misdirection. Someone on the up and up might be caught off guard, but over the course of 11 minutes, could produce a believable defense of their actions.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/5/19 12:24 pm

Post Re: Charisma Mag article on Kenneth Copeland Interview Dave Dorsey
Stephen Strang wrote:
The bottom line is that this kind of skepticism and criticism is rooted in jealousy.

Of all the statements in the article, this is definitely the saddest. The bottom line is that "this" is rooted in fidelity to biblical Christianity and resistance toward an obvious wolf in sheep's clothing. I don't know if Guerrero is a believer or not, but she was being used by God in this video to help expose the darkness. To attempt to deflect legitimate biblical criticism of a false teacher by calling it jealousy would be insulting if it wasn't so unbelievably sad.

May God open Stephen Strang's eyes to the glory of the true gospel, and may He do the same for everyone else who is deceived by Kenneth Copeland and his false teaching. He did for me, and I will be forever grateful for it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/5/19 12:47 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
We watched two different interviews.

There wasn't a good answer to the demons in the tube quote - so he should have said he used a poor analogy at the time and apologize.

Demons don't stay in a tube - but people do - just no way to explain it away.

Another jet - said he got a good deal but didn't say how much he paid for it. Uses them for vacations, as well.

Said all the disciples were incredibly wealthy - like him. No scripture to back it up - but he wasn't challenged on it.

Why does he hoard all of these millions while other Christians do without? Not sure - but the OP says he gives away millions - but hard to put in context for a guy with 50+ million in airplanes alone.

He was patronizing to the female reporter - hoping charm would win the day. It didn't.

That's the interview I watched.

Be instant in season and out. Be ready to give a defense.

Alas, no joy in Mudville on that day - mighty Copeland struck out.
6/5/19 12:59 pm

Post Da Sheik
Not surprising that Strang would rush to the defense of Copeland. His publication has long since touted the WoF error. Acts Enthusiast
6/5/19 1:03 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Gotta keep your customers who advertise with you happy. Acts-pert Poster
6/5/19 5:04 pm

Post Was that ... Mat
Was that Copeland, or makeup and a face-lift? Just looking at him was unnerving. It reminds me of seeing Warren Jeffs on the screen.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/5/19 5:15 pm

Post Cojak
Personally I do not like 'ambush interviews' nor ambush sermons at a funeral. But for a preacher, it should be no problem to 'explain' your ministry on the spur of the moment. i.e. instant in season and out.
I am reminded of Will Rogers who said, "If you tell the truth you seldom have to remember what you said before. It is gonna be pretty close. every time."

But since I am not a Copeland fan, I do not see any good Christian explanation for his lifestyle. Sorry. but that is mo opinion. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/5/19 10:25 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic