Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

A few thoughts on WoF absurdity
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: A few thoughts on WoF absurdity Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
Many WoF teachers proclaim that Jesus was wealthy and lived an opulent lifestyle. Let's consider a few factors:

Christ was born in a stable. At His circumcision, Joseph and Mary offered turtledoves (a poor person's sacrifice who couldn't afford a lamb according to Lev 12:8). Christ borrowed a boat to preach from. When it was time to pay the temple tax, He sent Peter fishing. When the multitudes were hungry He didn't send Phillip into town (remember Phillip was concerned how to finance the meal). Judas was the treasurer of the group and yet he was willing to betray Jesus for a mere 30 pieces of silver. In His death, Jesus was buried in a borrowed tomb.

Sorry folks, the WoF ship is not seaworthy. Jump overboard while you still can!

I love the Lord and also am pretty logical. I enjoy common sense and this post displays it without being nasty. I believe the lord said, "...the birds have nests but the son of man doesn't own a bed!" Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/3/19 10:12 pm

Post Re: Perhaps because they Dave Dorsey
brotherjames wrote:
Prove the point.

Lol. Jesus isn't promising that Christians will become real estate moguls. This passage is referring to the church community and family.

WoF adherents zero in on what they believe is a promise for a hundred times as many natural possessions but somehow overlook the promise of a hundred times as many moms, brothers, sisters, etc. This passage makes no sense if it's a promise of personal material blessings.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/4/19 5:52 am

Post As much as I loathe brotherjames (SMILE)....yes, God wants us to be rich. Aaron Scott
There is a VERY SIMPLE way to know what God wants for us. Jesus gave us the "secret" when He said, "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, HOW MUCH MORE shall your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those who ask of Him."

I love my son. If, when he was five-years-old, he had asked for a car to drive, I would NOT have given him a car to drive, because no matter what he thought at the time, it would not have been wise to jeopardize his life (and the life of others) because of some whimsical desire.

There very likely were elements in the WOF movement that said you could ask for just any ol' thing and God would be johnny-on-the-spot giving it to you.

We know that is false. Consider that if you asked God to overlook the adultery you were committing, do we suppose God would do that? NO.

But if WE would give appropriate gifts to our children when they ask for them, the HOW MUCH MORE would our FATHER do so for us?

Anything I give my son, I give him ONLY if I think it would be good for him, would perhaps delight him, BUT WOULD NOT BE BAD FOR HIM!

If some of us won the lottery because of prayer (which is proof that God does NOT answer such prayers), we might very likely wind up doing things deeply contrary to God's will. Oh, sure, we might pay our tithes, pay off a some debts of churches and good people, etc. But it might be that, as one of the writers says, that, being rich, we would fall into the snare of the devil. After all, when you now have the wealth to attract a pretty, young thing...it might be that the utterly decent and loyal wife you have...well, you get the idea.

I do note that in the example Jesus gave, the children were asking for...FOOD. That might symbolize that they were asking for something they NEEDED. That might be instructive, I'm not sure. But I imagine that even if a child asked for a TOY, if you could afford it and it wasn't a BB gun that would put out someone's eye, etc., you might be very happy to answer that child's request.

Does God want us to be rich? Well, yes...if it wouldn't be damaging to us. If it wouldn't short-circuit our dependence on God to meet our needs. After all, is there anyone here that WANTS your children to be POOR?

OF COURSE NOT!

Certainly, you'd rather them be poor than lost, but all things being equal, certainly we want our children to prosper and be in health (as John indicated).

Does anyone WANT your children to be sickly, suffering, or maimed? OF COURSE NOT! And yet, when my son whines about doing some sort of task or homework or what have you, well, even if he considers himself to be suffering, I can see the bigger picture. I can see that if he doesn't persevere, it could take him on a course of defeat and poverty. It might cost him a scholarship or entrance into a good school, etc. So I can certainly wish my son to NOT suffer...but I am also willing for him TO SUFFER if I know that, in the end, it will make him better.

When you explain it this way, I think it brings together our standard understanding of God...with WOF. So, when they say God wants you to be rich...we tack a little addendum on that says, "so long as He can trust you with it, etc."

Of course, unfortunately, God has found that He can apparently trust Trump, Buffet, Gates, and Bezos more than he can trust ANYONE IN THE ENTIRE CHURCH OF GOD!

That right there is a good reason to leave the Church of God!!! (SMILE)
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/4/19 3:28 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Aaron,
I feel it must be said...because surely everyone here is thinking the same thing.

There is no reason that God can't grant you winning the 500 billion dollar lottery.

Because you sure ain't attracting a pretty young thing - no matter how much money you have.

You got lucky and found one saint of God to love and marry you - that won't happen twice. The odds of that happening again are much longer that the Powerball and Mega Millions combined.

So rest easy and ask away for your lottery winnings.
Twisted Evil
6/4/19 4:10 pm

Post NBF.... Aaron Scott
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Aaron,
I feel it must be said...because surely everyone here is thinking the same thing.

There is no reason that God can't grant you winning the 500 billion dollar lottery.

Because you sure ain't attracting a pretty young thing - no matter how much money you have.

You got lucky and found one saint of God to love and marry you - that won't happen twice. The odds of that happening again are much longer that the Powerball and Mega Millions combined.

So rest easy and ask away for your lottery winnings.
Twisted Evil

Now that’s what I’m talking about!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/4/19 7:25 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic