Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

You Are A State Overseer - What COG Preachers Are You Inviting To Preach Campmeeting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: I would use the five longest term pastors in the state Cojak
roughridercog wrote:
No matter what their church size or age
Cool Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/28/19 9:09 am

Post 2nd Generation... Aaron Scott
2ndgeneration wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Second, I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that Cleveland has a way of telegraphing just who they really want on the campmeeting circuit. They might not care who an overseer has otherhwise...so long as Bro. X is prominently placed on the program.

I have served as an overseer now for seven years and I have never had anyone from Cleveland even hint a suggestion of who we should have speak in Campmeeting. We are assigned a representative from the Executive Committee to attend our Campmeeting and we usually have them to speak. Other than that, no.

I do believe you. But I would like to ask how you select your speakers, then? If all the state overseers are doing their own thing, it seems odd that many of the same names wind up speaking at multiple campmeetings. I wouldn't doubt that is just name-recognition at a higher level, but what IS odd to me is that many seems to START appearing on multiple campmeeting rosters at the same time. That is, Rev. X usually didn't preach campmeetings...and suddenly, in the same year or so, he's on multiple rosters. I'm not sure I get that.

In any case, perhaps you can explain how you do select ministers, since, as I said, I believe you that no one is telling you just who to choose.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/28/19 10:41 am

Post skinnybishop
If I were overseer today, I'd pick:

David Smith, pastor at Oak Park
Terry Addis, pastor at North Rome
Mark Williams, North Cleveland
Tim Hill
Raymond Culpepper
5/28/19 12:58 pm

Post MrSippi
If I wanted to put a campmeeting together with Church of God speakers who would bring content and fire, I would put these at the top of my list:

Bill Lee
Tim Hill
Bryan Cutshall
David Smith
Raymond Cullpepper
Eric Petree
Mark Williams
Ed Lipsey
Friendly Face
5/28/19 1:48 pm

Post Re: 2nd Generation... 2ndgeneration
Aaron Scott wrote:
2ndgeneration wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Second, I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that Cleveland has a way of telegraphing just who they really want on the campmeeting circuit. They might not care who an overseer has otherhwise...so long as Bro. X is prominently placed on the program.

I have served as an overseer now for seven years and I have never had anyone from Cleveland even hint a suggestion of who we should have speak in Campmeeting. We are assigned a representative from the Executive Committee to attend our Campmeeting and we usually have them to speak. Other than that, no.

I do believe you. But I would like to ask how you select your speakers, then? If all the state overseers are doing their own thing, it seems odd that many of the same names wind up speaking at multiple campmeetings. I wouldn't doubt that is just name-recognition at a higher level, but what IS odd to me is that many seems to START appearing on multiple campmeeting rosters at the same time. That is, Rev. X usually didn't preach campmeetings...and suddenly, in the same year or so, he's on multiple rosters. I'm not sure I get that.

In any case, perhaps you can explain how you do select ministers, since, as I said, I believe you that no one is telling you just who to choose.

I think it is the same thing as when I pastored. One church would have an evangelist and word would get around about that minister. Then others would begin to use them. However, I didn't always use an evangelist just because everyone else did. I really tried to use the ones I felt led of the Lord to. I still do that as an Overseer.

In the Rocky Mountain Region, I used my daughter in laws Dad, Terry Addis, who pastors in Rome, Ga. I did because I know him and I trust him. I also used JC Worley, who is now pastor in Sharpsburg, Ga. Again, I knew him and trusted him. I could also name Scottie Hager, who was then pastor in Wahalla, SC. or Mark Davenport who worked with me on staff for fourteen years. These guys are not the norm on the camp meeting circuit.

Since being here in Missouri, I have used Jonathan Zeigler for two years in a row. I also have used Scott Sheppard, Marty Baker, Tony Stewart, and Kip Box, who will be with me again this year. He is a close friend and brother. Joe Dobbins will also speak this year. He is one of our pastors. Tony Suarez will be our Friday night speaker. I have never met him. However, he was at Twin Rivers on a Wednesday night. I was home sick and watched the service online. I texted Pastor Joe and told him to ask Tony if would come for our Campmeeting this year and he agreed. When the Church of God Campmeeting schedule was posted I saw where he is going to be in Florida and South Georgia too. I did not know that when I scheduled him. I believe that it is God inspired.

I know I have rambled. But trying to give you an idea of how it works for me. I can't answer for the others.
Acts Enthusiast
5/28/19 11:01 pm

Post Re: 2nd Generation... Dave Dorsey
2ndgeneration wrote:
I know I have rambled. But trying to give you an idea of how it works for me. I can't answer for the others.

I appreciate the "inside baseball" look here at how you put your campmeetings together. Good stuff.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
5/29/19 8:43 am

Post Thank you, 2nd Generation Aaron Scott
I appreciate the insight. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/29/19 9:56 am

Post Re: 2nd Generation... Cojak
Dave Dorsey wrote:
2ndgeneration wrote:

I appreciate the "inside baseball" look here at how you put your campmeetings together. Good stuff.

Amen and Amen! I do like the statement, "I know him and TRUST him!"
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/29/19 9:03 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic