Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

How Pentecostal is your church?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post How Pentecostal is your church? roughridercog
In other words, are those who have received the baptism of the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues in the minority? Care to cite an estimated percentage?
5/19/19 7:05 am

Post sheepdogandy
Ball park figure.

75%

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/19/19 8:42 am

Post FLRon
Guesstimate: < 20%
5/19/19 9:10 am

Post In my church brotherjames
90 % of those who have been in the church more than 5 yrs.

50-60 % for those less than 5 yrs.
Acts-celerater
5/19/19 10:38 am

Post In my church brotherjames
90 % of those who have been in the church more than 5 yrs.

50-60 % for those less than 5 yrs.

And for Da Shiek, that means a with the initial physical evidence of speaking in other tongues.
Acts-celerater
5/19/19 10:40 am

Post diakoneo
Guessing somewhere around 50% Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
5/19/19 4:51 pm

Post Cojak
I would estimate <50%. In my youth churches were 'apparently' 80%. But looking back, and probably a kid's judgement a good percentage of that was over zealous wannabe's.

Kids see more than a lot of people realize. Adults that do one thing in church and another at home. And that seen by kids visiting and playing with their kids.

I am almost 'sure' that many people 65-90 remember those days when folks seeking the Baptism were practically told what to say or their chins were worked enough by Sis. Beulah that they spoke in tongues, and do not want to be guilty of the same.. Shocked or i.e. saying Glory, Glory as fast as they can. Shocked Confused But it has happened, even to me as a child! Embarassed Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/19/19 9:18 pm

Post UncleJD
probably 5% and I attend the largest AG in town if not the state Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
5/20/19 12:14 pm

Post I don't consider that Pentecostal... Aaron Scott
About 50% of our church--the older folks--have been baptized in the Holy Ghost. The rest, mostly teenagers and under, have not.

BUT I don't consider that the mark of a Pentecostal church, even though it is essential. I mean, even Baptist missionaries can speak in tongues, but I'm pretty sure their church services are still non-Pentecostal in nature.

To ME (note: ME), a Pentecostal church is one that regularly EXHIBITS and EXERCISES the gifts of the Spirit. If people have been baptized in the Holy Ghost, but there is never a message in tongues, interpretation, prophecy, etc., then that statistic is largely meaningless, I think.

The more a church regularly and meaningfully demonstrates the gifts of the Spirit and/or expressions of the Holy Spirit deeply moving on an audience, that is the extent to which I consider them Pentecostal.

If that NEVER or SELDOM happens--or, far, far, far worse, is "unencouraged"--then that church needs to evaluate. I consider my church one that needs to evaluate. We do hear tongues, we do have words of wisdom, etc., but is it anything like the Church of God era that most of us grew up in? No, it's not. Some of that likely rests on me, but I do long to see it again.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/20/19 12:39 pm

Post To Uncle JDs point brotherjames
As a leader in the AG at the state level, his point is one some of us have been fighting (and losing) for 25byrs. I actually had the pastor of our largest church (over 5000) in our state tell me that while he is Pentecostal, he would lose about 50 % of his attendance if he pushed "tongues" and the baptism in the holy Spirit. That is a sad commentary. So many of our younger pastors have bought into the lie that they cannot have a large church or grow a large church and have the manifestations of the Holy Spirit on Sunday mornings. They believe sundays are for evangelism of "seekers". But even allowing for that, they never teach or push the baptism in other settings like Wednesday or small groups and even if they did that would only reach 30 to 40 % of their churches. We are losing the battle to remain Pentecostal. In America, the AG is evangelical and I would guess less than 50 % of our churches ever hear prophecy or tongues in a Sunday morning service. It might be less than that. We have forgotten how we got here and have sacrificed the Holy Spirit on the altar of numbers. Acts-celerater
5/20/19 4:51 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic