Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Liberal Shift on Divorce

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Liberal Shift on Divorce Link
I was watching a video from someone I've met and spent some time with one day on Facebook. He was saying that the Old Testament guarantees a right to divorce, that Jesus would not overturn that, and that Matthew 19 was about people who divorce for adulterous motives-- but adultery doesn't mean sex. He got really fuzzy and unclear about the verse that did not fit with his position on the matter. His message had a lot of posts of agreement.

There is also a website, which I won't advertize in this message, which argues that Matthew 19 is really about the problem of not giving the proper certificate when you divorce, and that divorce is okay, and it is something believers are allowed to do. Of course, it doesn't line up at all with just sitting down and reading the passage. I saw people on a forum defending this site tooth and nail. I pointed out why it was wrong, and they defended it. One divorced and remarried man called them on it, and pointed out that the passage obviously said what it said.

This is a way liberal position, not historically Pentecostal, historical evangelically, or historically Christian.

Is this ultra-liberal approach to Matthew 19 and other passages (based on not really reading it carefully) growing in popularity? Have you seen it?
5/2/19 2:45 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
No but I have noticed divorced COG pastors continuing on with their church and even re-marrying while still at the church. Seems odd to me but I don’t get in their business. Acts-pert Poster
5/2/19 3:25 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Matthew 19 is not for the church. It is a Jewish answer to a Jewish question. Jesus is not making a new law, but simply explaining the existing Law in context. If we insist on using Matthew 19 as our guide, then we must also embrace the entirety of the Law regarding marriage, including the Deut 24 prohibition on reuniting with a former spouse who married someone else.

Our guide is I Corinthians 7 which is very simple...... Christians should not initiate divorce but abide alone or reconcile even if a divorce occurs. Even then there will be times that reunification is impossible. What happens in the latter case is not specified by Paul.

Second, Christians married to unbelievers are not under the same moral obligations as the former group mentioned above if they are abandoned by the unbelieving spouse.
5/2/19 4:12 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic