Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Why is Jim Raley preaching FL campmeeting?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Why is Jim Raley preaching FL campmeeting? Nature Boy Florida
Do we want everyone in Daytona area to switch over to his AOG church? Are the pastor's of our large churches too mediocre of preachers to do it? Evil or Very Mad
3/11/19 4:38 pm

Post Re: Why is Jim Raley preaching FL campmeeting? Mat
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Do we want everyone in Daytona area to switch over to his AOG church? Are the pastor's of our large churches too mediocre of preachers to do it? Evil or Very Mad

It is a great mystery why denominational leaders use the speakers they do. When you have a successful pastor from another domination your pastors (the ones who pay the bills by keeping their church faithful to the system) are put it a difficult place with their membership. It's not like a major conference for all to attend if they want to, its a denominational event.

In my denomination I've often wondered about the use of successful independent pastors. I get the feeling, sometime, my leaders don't think much of our churches or pastors (like if they could keep their position they would attend somebody else's church). Or, are they trying to encourage us to be independent? You know the successful independent pastor does not have to deal with a state bishop or mandatory financial obligations to the denomination, or required attendance at denominational events.

You ask the question, does the leadership want all the COG members in Daytona to go to the speakers AG church? Well, either they don't think its a problem (or have not considered it at all), or they think its the Daytona area pastor's problem for not being more like the AG church.

You concern is valid in my observation. Perhaps there is something to learn from the speaker, but not in the setting afforded him.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
3/11/19 7:26 pm

Post MrSippi
If someone leaves your church over a man's sermon at campmeeting, I don't think you ever had them to begin with. Friendly Face
3/12/19 10:46 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
MrSippi wrote:
If someone leaves your church over a man's sermon at campmeeting, I don't think you ever had them to begin with.

Raley was hoping you felt that way. I guess he can open another campus soon. Twisted Evil
3/12/19 11:06 am

Post UncleJD
maybe its a test to see if the walls fall down or the earth opens up. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/12/19 11:41 am

Post Brandon Bowers
I had never heard of him prior to last year's Winterfest, and I wasn't a fan. He told 15,000 people that if they heard gibberish in their head, to just say those words, and that's tongues and the baptism. We took our youth group back to the hotel and corrected his poor theology.
3/12/19 1:53 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
C'mon somebody!
3/12/19 1:58 pm

Post Why not call the AB and ask him? roughridercog
I'm sure he will give you the answer
3/12/19 4:03 pm

Post How do you see that brotherjames
What Raley said was in need of correction. I think I might have used a similar expression when speaking to people who have not yet received the baptism in the Holy Spirit. If you never spoke in tongues previously and were trying to receive them, wouldn't unknown words/sounds in your head seem like gibberish to you?

Raley is a good speaker and successful pastor. My daughter and son in law were youth pastors and teachers at his church. I might say his lifestyle is a bit excessive but he has done an amazing job. I heard him speak often. To my mind he's a better evangelist/revivalist than pastor/teacher. He is an exhorter in the fashion of Tommy Bates in my opinion.

But to NBFs point, not sure why you would invite him to speak for you. But then we had Tim Hill speak at an AG biennial General Council. Surely we had better speakers in the AG. Who knows.
Acts-celerater
3/12/19 4:03 pm

Post diakoneo
Brandon Bowers wrote:
I had never heard of him prior to last year's Winterfest, and I wasn't a fan. He told 15,000 people that if they heard gibberish in their head, to just say those words, and that's tongues and the baptism.

That is crazy!

I think this goes back to our current "results oriented" church.

Of course that has noting to do with this thread, though! Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/12/19 8:24 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
I've known Jim Raley 20 years, long before he had the church he has now. I will say, he had the vision to have that church long before it was reality, and you could learn something from that. But, imho it is a slap in the face to COG preachers to bring him in to campmeeting. Ray Hughes must be rolling over in his grave.
3/13/19 6:03 am

Post diakoneo
Oops!

Double post
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
3/13/19 7:44 am

Post I'm sorry... I just don't get it 4thgeneration
It would seem to me that pastors in the Daytona area understand that if their people wanted to go to Jim Raley's church, they'd be there already. It's not like he's an unknown, pastoring a church hidden in the shadows of the speedway. They know he's there. They know about his church. And they are members of COG's for a reason. Not everyone wants the mega church, with the "traveling pastor" whose renown keeps him busy speaking in various locations. Not everyone wants the mega church pastor that doesn't know your name, won't visit you in the hospital, and won't know anything personal to say about you at your funeral. Not everyone wants the mega church pastor that is guarded by armor bearers, distanced from his congregation, and known only for his preaching and distant visionary leadership. My guess is anyone wanting the mega church has long since left COGs and other congregations to go there.
We've had Jim in our state to speak at a couple of state functions. I enjoy his preaching and ministry! I certainly felt no slight over not being asked. My name would barely draw my wife to come hear me! lol I was thankful that our AB brought in someone anointed and on fire for God!
In today's COG just having our guys doesn't draw crowds. Many in our congregations don't even know who our guys are, and certainly aren't going to take time from their busy lives to go hear someone they don't know. It's just the reality in which we live. So the ABs I know try too bring in someone with some level of name recognition, so the people will show up. Because if they don't show up, we'll be complaining about a poorly planned event that resulted in low attendance.
Just my thoughts. That an a dollar will buy you a coffee at McD's, or that and $5 at Starbucks!
Acts Enthusiast
3/18/19 2:55 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
This seems like a petty issue guys.
The opportunity to hear a well known speaker can be refreshing no matter who the speaker is & usually no matter where they come from.
One poster said it best that if some folks leave their existing church to follow this pastor's church then the truth is they were on their way out already.

Why not just celebrate the great truths that God has already provided by allowing this man to be available to speak at the event?

Promotion comes from the Lord, this man obviously has an anointing to lead thousands every week & I'm sure that very few people will be so enticed by the messages that they'll bail on their current church.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
3/23/19 5:26 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic