Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Guys, I don't say much about the goings on at my church....

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Guys, I don't say much about the goings on at my church.... Aaron Scott
I pastor one of the oldest Churches of God in the denomination (founded 1913), and one of the smallest, I imagine (I call it a "micro-church"). We are in one of the poorest counties in Florida, and our town, Jasper, was called "The Dumbest Town in Florida" by some internet folks due to it having such a low graduation rate, etc. I call our church "The Finest Little Church in Florida."

A lot of things that have worked well at other churches don't get the same response here. We once put together a slideshow of grandparents (we had Grandparents' Day) and the soundtrack wouldn't play. In most church, that would have been utterly embarrassing. And it was for me; but afterwards, people were acting like this little, very amateurish presentation was just amazing. Yeah.

In any case, on Saturday, we had a cookout. We have a few, older white members...and a good number of black children that come to church. Their parents will come on occasion. In any case, last week the parents of some of the children came for the first time. They also came to the cookout. One of those black fathers--had been to church only once--invited a friend of his to cookout.

Long story short, as us guys stood around the grill shooting the breeze, this invitee mentioned how he needed to get back to the Lord. He promised to come to church the next day.

He did. I borrowed Paul Miller from the Live Oak Church of God to preach for me that Sunday (thanks Pastor Tanksley), since with the cookout and all, I didn't feel I'd have adequate time to be fully prepared. That guy? He got saved.

I'm not saying this to brag. I know better than to boast of such things, since things can change so quickly from being on top to dragging the bottom. But I am going to TESTIFY of this. I just give the Lord praise that something so small and simple could have such a wonderful effect...because of Jesus.

Further, I have began to wonder if the maybe the "key" to reaching some in this community is just old-fashioned "let's get together and eat." The week before last, the children stayed after church to rehearse for the upcoming Easter performance. Their parents, some who had never been here before, came to church with them and stayed afterward, preparing spaghetti for the children, since we feed them when they stay over (remember, this is a poor place and the folks are often poor--but how sweet they are).

I can't see far enough ahead to make any big statements, but I am thankful for what the Lord has already done for us.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/25/19 12:41 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Nicely done Aaron.
2/25/19 1:02 pm

Post Cojak
Those kids are a joy! That includes your own son. There was such a wonderful spirit of worship and fellowship. The excitement you have developed in those kids is Note worthy! Thanks for the testimony this is so SWEET to hear. I love to read a positive post. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
2/25/19 11:36 pm

Post Preacher777
Aaron, God sees and will reward your faithfulness in serving and being concerned about preparing messages even though the church is small. We also know Jesus said had some thoughts about how we treat little children. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Preacher777 on 2/26/19 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
2/26/19 5:53 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Beautiful and uplifting testimony.
2/26/19 6:06 am

Post diakoneo
Man, that is AWESOME!

You are doing a great work...don't let mere numbers trip you up!

Many folks who EMPHASIZE numbers "to the max" use the Acts 2 where they spelled out the explosive growth of the infant Church with miraculous numbers of conversions but they don't dig deeper in the new Testament. After this initial growth it was house by house...conversion by conversion. Relational, not big tent stuff...think Ethiopian eunuch, Philippian jailer, soldiers bound to Paul...and many more. After all, God has called us to make disciples not converts! Preach... proclaim the Good news!

Thank you Aaron...for hanging in there and obeying God!

Your testimony truly blessed me!
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/26/19 8:54 am

Post SCFIRE
Great Testimony. Whatever works do it. It all has to start somewhere and it looks like you have found a "hook" that fits your area. Work the hook and the "net" will follow.
3/2/19 9:09 am

Post georgiapath
That is probably the only place these kids get to go besides school. Keep up the good work. Acts-dicted
3/13/19 10:45 am

Post Making a difference 4thgeneration
And having a Kingdom impact where God has planted you! Blessings as you show Christ to your community! Acts Enthusiast
3/18/19 2:39 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic