Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Your Advice Needed: Best Places to Eat in...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Your Advice Needed: Best Places to Eat in... Aaron Scott
This summer, Lord willing, my family and my parents will be taking another road trip west.

Try as I might, I am not a highbrow restaurant type. I like good, relatively inexpensive food. For something just unusual AND wow, yeah, I'll dig a little deeper in my wife's pocketbook. But otherwise, just simple fare.

We will be going through the following states (Lord willing): Florida (panhandle), Louisiana, Texas, Four Corners area (and perhaps a 50-100 mile radius from there), Colorado, Arkansas, Alabama, etc.

I am especially looking for the best Mexican restaurant in New Mexico (my son thinks it's going to taste different from Mexican restaurants in Florida--I don't know).

I'd appreciate your advice on these. On a previous roadtrip, we went to Cozy Burgers and Gates BBQ in Kansas. Wasn't impressed, but it was still nice to have said we did eat there.

Thanks for your help.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/27/19 11:20 am

Post Deming NM famousflavius
Deming NM is off of I10 about 90 miles west. It is my personal opinion that this is where all people in the government witness protection program. If you are mindful of that bit of trivia then you will really enjoy your visit to this restaurant.
https://goo.gl/maps/Wpf45Grqy8R2
Golf Cart Mafia Soldier
2/27/19 11:51 am

Post UncleJD
Texas is as big as about 10 of your little states son, which parts are you driving through? Give me your east-west highway and I might be able to help.

If you're going 40, then the only town of significance you'll hit is Amarillo, If you're going down to I-20, then you'll go through my neck of the woods (Dallas Fort Worth), If you go I-10, you'll see the best parts of Texas (once you get past Houston LOL), Austin/San-Antonio (maybe head down to Big Bend if its not dead summer, for some spectacular views)

Lots of difference between those routes.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
2/27/19 12:34 pm

Post Waffle House of course roughridercog
If they go through Branson, I suggest the following

Gettin' Basted Barbecue
McFarlains Family Restaurant
Pickin' Porch Grill
2/27/19 1:54 pm

Post UncleJD
I'm guessing if you're going through the Florida panhandle you're going I-10 through Texas, excellent choice (for sightseeing and food). I'm not from the Austin/San Antonio area so I don't know if they are "THE BEST", but I always try to go to either Mi Tiera, or Pico de Gallo in San Antonio (if you go to Pico, ask for the "special "muy caliente" salsa, after you're done with your meal so you can experience the best tasting fire you'll ever set inside your own mouth).

If you want barbecue, if you can swing close to the Southwest side of Austin, go to the original Salt Lick, its a feast for the eyes as well as the palette, and set in one of the prettiest parts of Texas hill-country. They have a combo plate with Brisket and Ribs that I'd recommend.

I'm not real big on Houston, but they say Gatlin's is pretty good barbecue.

Try to drive through the Davis Mountains in the daytime (far west side of Texas, at least 10 hours from when you enter on the east side), its beautiful. Then on to El Paso. You're on your own in El Paso, but I've eaten some tasty Mexican food there, just don't remember where it was, I'm sure Yelp will have some good suggestions. Anyways, enjoy yourself, its a LONG hall across from east TX to El Paso, probably 15 hours with a couple stops.

If you are going to head North up toward Colorado in Texas, then you'll probably go right through Dallas/Fort Worth. Just let me know what kind of food you want and I'll give you some recommendations since I eat all over the metroplex. that's not the prettiest drive, but the food choices can make up for it LOL

You can take I-10 from Houston over to US-77 North to go straight up through the Texas Hill Country and have a really beautiful drive that wouldn't add more than an hour to your trip (but be a lot nicer than going up I-45. Really one of my favorite drives in Texas. From Houston to Waco, its really nice, then get back on 35 up to DFW, then 287 up to Amarillo (sorry but it gets pretty flat after Fort Worth going that way until you get to Santa Fe or wherever you're going, but you could take a detour through the Palo Duro canyon, the second biggest canyon in the USA
2/27/19 2:17 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
If you want upscale (Aaron Scott upscale) - You can probably eat What-A-Burger every meal.

Probably better stock up on RC colas and moon pies before you leave.

Mexican: Taco Bell will probably taste the same - or perhaps try Del Taco. Twisted Evil
2/28/19 7:27 am

Post NBF--Now, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!! Aaron Scott
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
If you want upscale (Aaron Scott upscale) - You can probably eat What-A-Burger every meal.

Probably better stock up on RC colas and moon pies before you leave.

Mexican: Taco Bell will probably taste the same - or perhaps try Del Taco. Twisted Evil
2/28/19 12:44 pm

Post Uncle JD...about I-10. Aaron Scott
UncleJD wrote:
Texas is as big as about 10 of your little states son, which parts are you driving through? Give me your east-west highway and I might be able to help.

If you're going 40, then the only town of significance you'll hit is Amarillo, If you're going down to I-20, then you'll go through my neck of the woods (Dallas Fort Worth), If you go I-10, you'll see the best parts of Texas (once you get past Houston LOL), Austin/San-Antonio (maybe head down to Big Bend if its not dead summer, for some spectacular views)

I usually enjoy the scenery even if it's flat. I've been on I-40 to Amarillo (coming from NM), but if you think 1-10 is much better....
2/28/19 12:46 pm

Post Re: Uncle JD...about I-10. UncleJD
Aaron Scott wrote:
UncleJD wrote:

I usually enjoy the scenery even if it's flat. I've been on I-40 to Amarillo (coming from NM), but if you think 1-10 is much better....

If you like road trips for the scenery, go I-10 to Houston, then over to US-77. You'll go through some really pretty landscape (Texas Hill Country) and some fascinating historical towns (Including ZZ Top's La Grange). If you've never been to Austin and San Antonio, then go I-10 over to 35. Up to you, but my choice (having been to Austin plenty of times), would be I-10 to 77 North. And yes, if you have time, you could do both (over to San Antonio/Austin, then back to 77 North)

In Fort Worth, I'd highly recommend eating in the Stockyards, either at El Rancho Grande for some of the best Tex-Mex there is, Cattlemen's Steakhouse ($$$ and call ahead for a table), or Risky's barbecue (THere are 2 Risky's, one steak house, and one barbecue, I recommend the barbecue one for the food and more relaxed atmosphere), Then walk around the historic Stockyards. You could even catch a rodeo if its a weekend and you are staying the night nearby. If you are in a burger mood when you get there, The Rodeo Goat is Texas in a burger joint, really, really cool place and amazing burgers.

PM me if you want any other info. Have a great time, I love road-trips! We took our "final family roadtrip" a couple of years ago before our oldest got married, we went 5K miles to California and back in a big circle. Great memories.
2/28/19 3:20 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic